Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or traili Post 302989137 by MadeInGermany on Monday 9th of January 2017 04:31:01 AM
Old 01-09-2017
Assuming you want the 2nd "string" substituted by a " ", and *retain* (preserve) the spaces at the very beginning and end of the line:
Code:
sed 's/"[^"]*"/" "/2' inputfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace first character of string sed

I want to change the first/or any character of a string to upper-case: String: test Desired results: Test or tEst or teSt or tesT thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn: How to loop through a string character by character

If I have a string defined as: MyString=abcde echo $MyString How can I loop through it character by character? I haven't been able to find a way to index the string so that I loop through it. shew01 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shew01
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

error while replacing a string by new line character in sed

hi, when i am doing the following things getting error Can anyone please suggest i have a file where there is a line like the following branch=dev sdf dev jin kilii fin kale boyle dev james dev i want to search the existance of dev in the above line. cat "$file" | sed -n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed to print a string until the second occurrence of a character

Hi, I am totally new to shell scripting. I have a String "c:\working\html\index.txt.12-12-2009.bkp" I want to check if the string has more than one "." character. If it does I would like to retrieve only "c:\working\html\index.txt" i.e, discard the second occurrence of "." and the rest of the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: imr
7 Replies

5. Linux

How to replace the 2nd character in a string using sed?

Hi, i have string var1=NN. Based on conditions, i have to change this first N to Y or second N to Y and send the details to other process. How to do that? This is a linux machine. Thanks, Selva (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bharathappriyan
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the middle character from a string using sed

Input: qwertmyuiop It should print "m". What's the command to do this with sed? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed is doing my head in! How do you remove the first character of a string?

Hello! Please bare with me, I'm a total newbie to scripting. Here's the sudo code of what I'm trying to do: Get file name Does file exist? If true get length of file name get network id (this will be the last 3 numbers of the file name) loop x 2 If... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KatieV
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

In Sed how can I replace starting from the 7th character to the 15th character.

Hi All, Was wondering how I can do the following.... I have a String as follows "ACCTRL000005022RRWDKKEEDKDD...." This string can be in a file called tail.out or in a Variable called $VAR2 Now I have another variable called $VAR1="000004785" (9 bytes long), I need the content of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohullah
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: delete on each line before a character and after a character

Hi there, A total sed noob here. Is there a way using sed to delete everything before a character AND after another character on each line in a file? The deletion should also delete the indicating characters(here: an opening and a closing parenthesis). The original file would look like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bnbsd
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a string using more than one character as delimiter

Hi , I have a set of files in a folder which i need to cut in to two parts.... Sample files touch AE_JUNFOR_2014_MTD_2013-05-30-03-30-02.TXT touch AE_JUNFOR_2014_YTD_2013-05-30-03-30-02.TXT touch temp_AE_JUNFOR_2014_MTD_2013-05-30-03-30-02.TXT touch... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chillblue
4 Replies