Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Exit() system call verses process signals Post 302989121 by MadeInGermany on Sunday 8th of January 2017 03:22:04 PM
Old 01-08-2017
The exit() is called by the process to terminate itself.
The (kill-)signals are sent to a process. A proccess, when it receives a signal, as a default action (defined in libc) terminates (via exit()).
A process can define signal handlers that are invoked when a signal arrives and typically do some cleanup and then often exit().
The signal 9 (SIGKILL) is special: it is not sent to the process but to the kernel; the kernel clears the process memory.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Problem with signals - 3 process communication

Hello, I would like to ask you for a little help with program I'm working on. I have problems with signals and synchronizing processes (I'm quite new to this part of programming). Process "parent" creates new child process "child1" and this process creates new child process "child2". The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nightwright
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to differentiate system call from library call

Hi, Ho do I differentiate system call from library call? for example if I am using chmod , how do I find out if it is a system call or library call? Thanks Muru (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muru
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX System Call for creating process

Hell Sir, This is chanikya Is there any System call which behaves just like fork but i dont want to return back two times to the calling func. In the following ex iam creating a child process in the called func but the ex prints two times IN MAIN. ex :- calling() { fork(); } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chanikya
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process signals as administration

Too generic to post elsewhere, too advanced for the newbie forums. There are some applications within the unix/linux milieu that understand signals such as SIGHUP, etc as instructions to perform administrative tasks (clearing information out of this, disconnect users, etc.) I was just wondering if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Ignored signals & blocking system calls

If I explicity ignore a signal (for example, SIGALRM), and this signal is generated during a blocking system call (for example, a recvfrom() ), what happens to the system call? Does it abort, or does it remain blocked until its end? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hurricane
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

process and exit to new page

File1 --> into shell file for processing --> file2 I have finished the work on my shell processing script, but I need to call this from a form -->cgi-bin, have the form wait/process bar while processing occurs (5-10 seconds) and then have the shell exit gracefully while transferring to the new... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

call b.sh from a.sh, and continue to a.sh after use exit 0 from b.sh

Hi, I have two sh file. a.sh and b.sh b.sh is command and used by other sh's. I want to add below line to b.sh. When it is done with b.sh I want to continue to process a.sh. But when I use exit 0 in b.sh it is exit from b.sh and a.sh How can I make it to continue to process? a.sh ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctuncer
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check the exit status in a pipe call

Guys, I have a problem :confused: and I need some help: I've to process many huge zip files. I'd code an application that receive the data from a pipe, so I can simple unzip the data and send it (via pipe) to my app. Something like that: gzip -dc <file> | app The problem is: How can I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rkolbe
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Handling Signals in System Calls

What will happen if signal comes while a system call is being executed? How it will be handled? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check file if not found send mail if exit call second script

I need to check my script and change to working mode. currently it was not sending the mail and exit without calling the second script. I need to check the file is present ="/home/Rvtools/test.csv" if this file not found after the time retry send mail file not found If the file exit run the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
2 Replies
SIGSUSPEND(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						     SIGSUSPEND(2)

NAME
sigsuspend - wait for a signal SYNOPSIS
#include <signal.h> int sigsuspend(const sigset_t *mask); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): sigsuspend(): _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 1 || _XOPEN_SOURCE || _POSIX_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
sigsuspend() temporarily replaces the signal mask of the calling process with the mask given by mask and then suspends the process until delivery of a signal whose action is to invoke a signal handler or to terminate a process. If the signal terminates the process, then sigsuspend() does not return. If the signal is caught, then sigsuspend() returns after the sig- nal handler returns, and the signal mask is restored to the state before the call to sigsuspend(). It is not possible to block SIGKILL or SIGSTOP; specifying these signals in mask, has no effect on the process's signal mask. RETURN VALUE
sigsuspend() always returns -1, normally with the error EINTR. ERRORS
EFAULT mask points to memory which is not a valid part of the process address space. EINTR The call was interrupted by a signal. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
Normally, sigsuspend() is used in conjunction with sigprocmask(2) in order to prevent delivery of a signal during the execution of a criti- cal code section. The caller first blocks the signals with sigprocmask(2). When the critical code has completed, the caller then waits for the signals by calling sigsuspend() with the signal mask that was returned by sigprocmask(2) (in the oldset argument). See sigsetops(3) for details on manipulating signal sets. SEE ALSO
kill(2), pause(2), sigaction(2), signal(2), sigprocmask(2), sigwaitinfo(2), sigsetops(3), sigwait(3), signal(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-08-29 SIGSUSPEND(2)