Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers String has * as the field delimiter and I need echo/awk to escape it, how? Post 302989042 by newbie_01 on Friday 6th of January 2017 12:15:29 PM
Old 01-06-2017
Hi RudiC

Thanks a lot, I'll worry about the wrapping thing later on. I may not need it if I am deconstructing the connectstring further

I'll post the updated script after I've broken down the connectstring information/variable. I will be using cut this time, I'll post it in case there is a better approach to it.

Currently, script now look as below. Not sure if there is a better way to get around the case/esac thingy.

Code:
$ ./z2.ksh
- timestamp = 15-DEC-2016 10:19:24  // 2016-12-15 10:19:24
- connectstring =  (CONNECT_DATA=(CID=(PROGRAM=JDBC Thin Client)(HOST=__jdbc__)(USER=testuser))(SERVER=DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME=test_app.x.y.z))
- host =  (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=60.11.22.123)(PORT=55440))
- result =  establish
- service =  test_app.x.y.z
- returncode =  12666
-------------------------------------------------------------

$ cat z2.ksh
#!/bin/ksh

#15-DEC-2016 10:19:24 * (CONNECT_DATA=(CID=(PROGRAM=JDBC Thin Client)(HOST=__jdbc__)(USER=testuser))(SERVER=DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME=test_app.x.y.z)) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=60.11.22.123)(PORT=55440)) * establish * test_app.x.y.z * 12666

#LOG=y.out
LOG=x.out

while IFS="*" read TS CS HOST RESULT SERVICE RETURNCODE
do
   timestamp=`echo $TS | awk '{ print $2 }'`
   year=`echo $TS | awk '{ print $1 }' | awk -F"-" '{ print $3 }'`
   day=`echo $TS | awk '{ print $1 }' | awk -F"-" '{ print $1 }'`
   month=`echo $TS | awk '{ print $1 }' | awk -F"-" '{ print $2 }'`

case $month in
      "JAN" ) mm="01" ;;
      "FEB" ) mm="02" ;;
      "MAR" ) mm="03" ;;
      "APR" ) mm="04" ;;
      "MAY" ) mm="05" ;;
      "JUN" ) mm="06" ;;
      "JUL" ) mm="07" ;;
      "AUG" ) mm="08" ;;
      "SEP" ) mm="09" ;;
      "OCT" ) mm="10" ;;
      "NOV" ) mm="11" ;;
      "DEC" ) mm="12" ;;
   esac
   TS2="$year-$mm-$day $timestamp"

echo "- timestamp = $TS // $TS2"
   echo "- connectstring = $CS"
   echo "- host = $HOST"
   echo "- result = $RESULT"
   echo "- service = $SERVICE"
   echo "- returncode = $RETURNCODE"
   echo "-------------------------------------------------------------"
   echo
done <  $LOG

###########
# THE END #
###########

$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set a variable field delimiter using awk

How can i set a variable field delimiter using awk?? I wanna do something like this ,but i canīt get the correct syntaxis : VARI=TEST echo "0121212TESTxvcshaashd"|awk 'FS="$VARI" {print $2}' Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klashxx
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Printing Field with Delimiter in AWK/cut

Hello, I had posted earlier about printing fields using AWK, but now I have a slightly different problem. I have text files in the format: 1*2,3,4,5 and wish to print the first, third, and fifth fields, including the asterisk and commas. In other words, after filtering it should look... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jahn
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to convert a decimal value to an ascii char with awk for the field delimiter

Hello, I need an awk script to receive a variable that's an decimal value such as 009 or 031 and then convert this value to an ascii character to use as the FS (field separator for the input file). For example, 009 should be converted to an ascii tab 031 should be converted to an ascii... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: script_op2a
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk output field delimiter

Dear All, 1.txt (tab in between each value in a line) a b c a b c a c d you can see below, why with ~ i can output with tab, but = cannot? # awk -F'\t' '$2 ~ /b/' 1 a b c a b c # awk -F'\t' '$2 = "b"' 1 a b c a b c a b d ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find the nth field value in delimiter file in unix using awk

Hi All, I wanted to find 200th field value in delimiter file using awk.? awk '{print $200}' inputfile I am getting error message :- awk: The field 200 must be in the range 0 to 199. The source line number is 1. The error context is {print >>> $200 <<< } using... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jairaj
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Search text string in field, not all in field.

Hello, I am using awk to match text in a tab separated field and am able to do so when matching the exact word. My problem is that I would like to match any sequence of text in the tab-separated field without having to match it all. Any help will be appreciated. Please see the code below. awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocket_dog
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perform echo and awk inside a string

hi, just wanted to make a shortcut of this one a="a b c" b=`echo $a | awk '{print $2}'` echo "the middle is $b" why can't i do this: a="a b c" echo "the middle is ${`echo $a | awk '{print $2}'`}" <- bad substitution :wall: thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk :how to change delimiter without giving all field name

Hi Experts, i need to change delimiter from tab to "," sample test file cat test A0000368 A29938511 072569352 5 Any 2 for Ģ1.00 BUTCHERS|CAT FOOD|400G Sep 12 2012 12:00AM Jan 5 2014 11:59PM Sep 7 2012 12:00AM M 2.000 group 5 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakshman_Gupta
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can awk ignore the field delimiter like comma inside a field?

We have a csv file as mentioned below and the requirement is to change the date format in file as mentioned below. Current file (file.csv) ---------------------- empname,date_of_join,dept,date_of_resignation ram,08/09/2015,sales,21/06/2016 "akash,sahu",08/10/2015,IT,21/07/2016 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopal.biswal
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk Associative Array and/or Referring to Field by String (Nonconstant String Value)

I will start with an example of what I'm trying to do and then describe how I am approaching the issue. File PS028,005 Lexeme HRS # M # PhraseType 1(1:1) 7(7) PhraseLab 501 503 ClauseType ZYq0 PS028,005 Lexeme W # L> # BNH # M #... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
17 Replies
Net::Time(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					    Net::Time(3pm)

NAME
Net::Time - time and daytime network client interface SYNOPSIS
use Net::Time qw(inet_time inet_daytime); print inet_time(); # use default host from Net::Config print inet_time('localhost'); print inet_time('localhost', 'tcp'); print inet_daytime(); # use default host from Net::Config print inet_daytime('localhost'); print inet_daytime('localhost', 'tcp'); DESCRIPTION
"Net::Time" provides subroutines that obtain the time on a remote machine. inet_time ( [HOST [, PROTOCOL [, TIMEOUT]]]) Obtain the time on "HOST", or some default host if "HOST" is not given or not defined, using the protocol as defined in RFC868. The optional argument "PROTOCOL" should define the protocol to use, either "tcp" or "udp". The result will be a time value in the same units as returned by time() or undef upon failure. inet_daytime ( [HOST [, PROTOCOL [, TIMEOUT]]]) Obtain the time on "HOST", or some default host if "HOST" is not given or not defined, using the protocol as defined in RFC867. The optional argument "PROTOCOL" should define the protocol to use, either "tcp" or "udp". The result will be an ASCII string or undef upon failure. AUTHOR
Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1995-2004 Graham Barr. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Net::Time(3pm)