Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users SOCKS proxy & PAM configuration exposure Post 302988819 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 3rd of January 2017 09:49:49 AM
Old 01-03-2017
Thanks for the pointers. I am pleased to report that we have changed /etc/pam.d/ss5 from this:-
Code:
#%PAM-1.0
auth       include      system-auth
account    required     pam_nologin.so
auth       required     pam_wheel.so use_uid group=SocksUsers
account    include      system-auth
password   include      system-auth
session    optional     pam_keyinit.so force revoke
session    include      system-auth
session    required     pam_loginuid.so

.... to this (grouping all the auth statements together too):-
Code:
#%PAM-1.0
auth       requisite	pam_succeed_if.so debug user ingroup socksusers
auth       include      system-auth
account    required     pam_nologin.so
account    include      system-auth
password   include      system-auth
session    optional     pam_keyinit.so force revoke
session    include      system-auth
session    required     pam_loginuid.so

When we moved the rule up the order before the include statement, the use_uid meant that the rules were being applied to the account running the code, not the connecting user, i.e. it was testing the single account root for every connection.

Notes:-
  • I've set this to be requisite to just exit if the account does not have the required group.
  • I found that pam_succeed_if.so gave me the debug option for logging.
  • The pam_succeed_if.so also can be extended if multiple acceptance criteria were required.
  • The group appears to be case-insensitive, but shows as all lower case when running something like id rbatte1 | sed 's/) /)\n/g ; s/,/\n/g' | sort -nk1,1.5

I hope that this might be useful to someone else.

Robin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pam configuration

I have suse (SLES 9) machine,I would like to know how to creat a PAM configure file for ldap authentication and loading it using a "config" argument to pam_ldap.so Thanks for your help (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan1
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

reread pam configuration

Hi. i am on solaris. I have changed pam configuration. Do i need to let pam re-read its configuration again? If so, how can i do it? ps -ef | grep -i pam, returns no hits. Rgds (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
0 Replies

3. IP Networking

proxy DNS configuration

i have the DNS and the web proxy services running on one of my sun machines....the funny thing is clients use the proxy server by addressing it with its IP address only....what i need is to assign it like...proxy.amu.edu.et...... my guess is the problem is the configuration with the DNS ...but i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: henokia4j
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

PAM configuration: Kerberos authentication and NIS authorization problem

Hi, I've configured two linux boxes to authenticate against Windows Active Directory using Kerberos while retrieving authorization data (uids, gids ,,,)from NIS. The problem I ran into with my PAM configuration is that all authentication attempts succeed in order.i.e. if someone tried his... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: geek.ksa
0 Replies

5. IP Networking

SQUID Proxy server configuration

Can any one direct me to the resources where I can find in-depth instructions on Squid Proxy server and its configuration? Thanks in advance.:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Squid Dynamic Proxy Server Configuration

Hello all, I am trying to configure squid proxy server for different organizations. These organizations will have different blocked ports, different acls, etc. But, I can use only one proxy server for this purpose. Thinking of making a shell script with iptables and squid. For an example: a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX pam ssh/sshd configuration not allowing sed or awk

This is a weird problem. Following is my code. /opt/quest/bin/vastool configure pam sshd /opt/quest/bin/vastool configure pam ssh cat /etc/pam.conf | \ awk '$1=="ssh"||$1=="sshd"||$1=="emagent"{sub("prohibit","aix",$NF);}1' OFS='\t' > /etc/pam.conf cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config | \ sed -e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't connect through ssh socks proxy to certain sites

Hello, i setup an open socks proxy on my remote vps: ssh -f -N -D 0.0.0.0:1080 localhost and then allowed only connections from IP of my home computer iptables -A INPUT --src myhomeip -p tcp --dport 1080 -j ACCEPT iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 1080 -j REJECT but it appears that im... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Proxy socks tester issue

I have a list of ip socks / port(eg: 192.168.0.1 80). I would like to write a bash to test automatically these addresses in a loop with firefox. The problem is that firefox process stays alive even when firefox does not work because of wrong network settings. So I want to kill the process when the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arpagon
3 Replies
PAM_LOGINUID(8) 						 Linux-PAM Manual						   PAM_LOGINUID(8)

NAME
pam_loginuid - Record user's login uid to the process attribute SYNOPSIS
pam_loginuid.so [require_auditd] DESCRIPTION
The pam_loginuid module sets the loginuid process attribute for the process that was authenticated. This is necessary for applications to be correctly audited. This PAM module should only be used for entry point applications like: login, sshd, gdm, vsftpd, crond and atd. There are probably other entry point applications besides these. You should not use it for applications like sudo or su as that defeats the purpose by changing the loginuid to the account they just switched to. OPTIONS
require_auditd This option, when given, will cause this module to query the audit daemon status and deny logins if it is not running. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the session module type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_SESSION_ERR An error occurred during session management. EXAMPLES
#%PAM-1.0 auth required pam_unix.so auth required pam_nologin.so account required pam_unix.so password required pam_unix.so session required pam_unix.so session required pam_loginuid.so SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(8), auditctl(8), auditd(8) AUTHOR
pam_loginuid was written by Steve Grubb <sgrubb@redhat.com> Linux-PAM Manual 09/19/2013 PAM_LOGINUID(8)