Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Removing letters after a certain character within a range of columns Post 302988792 by matrixmadhan on Tuesday 3rd of January 2017 04:07:35 AM
Old 01-03-2017
Welcome to the forum!

Can you please show what is that you have tried so far? Thanks

---------- Post updated at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:32 PM ----------

Here is a rough sample

Code:
>cat inputfile
a-b-c-d
e-f-g-h

awk -F"-" '{ printf "\n"; for (i=1; i<=2; i++) { printf "-%s", $i } }' inputfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Letters from Integer String

Hi all, I have a variable, on some machines it is '1024', which is fine, but on others it is '1024Mb' etc. I need this variable to simply be '1024', does anyone know how I could ensure this is always the case? Perhaps a command to remove any letters/characters that aren't integers if there is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hodges
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help removing last character of every line if certain character

I need help removing the last character of every line if it is a certain character. For example I need to get rid of a % character if it is in the last position. Input: aaa% %bbb ccc d%dd% Output should be: aaa %bbb ccc d%dd I tried this but it gets rid of all of the % characters.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raptor25
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use of character range in awk

Hi all, I am having a bit of a hard time using awk. I must do something wrong, but I don't know what... Any help would be greatly appreciated! I read a file, as follows :... ATOM 21 C THR A 4 23.721 -26.194 1.909 1.00 32.07 C ATOM 22 O THR A 4 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hypsis
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read into a range of character

i have this problem: i must hide a string with a character such as _ by command WORD=string; XXX=`echo $WORD | sed 's//_/g' but after, users must send in input a character and i must to replace the _ with the input character or better i can do this -$CHARS_INPUT i have think to use command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tafazzi87
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing columns from a text file that do not have any values in second and third columns

I have a text file that has three columns. But at the end of the text file, there are trailing lines that have missing second and third columns: 4 0.04972604 KLHL28 4 0.0497332 CSTB 4 0.04979822 AIF1 4 0.04983331 DECR2 4 0.04990344 KATNB1 4 4 4 4 How can I remove the trailing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing a range of characters in a filename

hi, I have quite a bunch of files with annoyingly long filenames. I wanted to cut the range of characters from 9-18 and just retain the first 8 characters and the .extension. any suggestion how to do it. thanks much. original filename: 20000105_20000105_20100503.nc.asc output filename:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

reducing values in columns with both numbers and letters

Hi, I columns with both number and letters however i need the number 4 trimmed off the lines that have 3 numbers in them so it just because the 2 preceding numbers only For example V25QG2-K18QG-V25CG2 L26HG-L17HA-L26CG I434QD1-L19HB2-I434CD1 I434QD1-A31QB-I434CD1 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: olifu02
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing a range of files in a directory..

Hi all, Disclosure: I am very new to Unix, but eager to learn.. I've been tasked with transferring logs to a remote server. After I've verified these logs have transferred correctly I have to remove the source files. The naming scheme is: /directory/2012.05.01 /directory/2012.05.02 ..and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JD3V
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with removing files with date range

Hi, I want to remove trace files in a particular directory for a specific date range. Currently i can remove based on time (e.g find /path/*.trm -mtime +1000 -exec rm {} \;). But i want to remove .trm files within a date range. E.g to remove .trm files between jan 1 2002 to April 15 2005. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dollypee
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking subset and removing extra letters

In each line of file, I wish to check if word1 is a non-connected subset of any of the other words in the line. If yes, keep only the words that ward1 is a subset of. Else, remove the whole line. Also, I want to remove the letters that word1 doesn't match with, except for "_+" Example file:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Viernes
2 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)