Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Using strings in one file as regex to search field of another file Post 302988687 by Don Cragun on Friday 30th of December 2016 11:31:07 PM
Old 12-31-2016
You could also try this slight simplification of Aia's suggestion:
Code:
awk -F'"' 'FNR==NR{a[$1]; next} !($2 in a)' File2.txt file1.txt

Note that your code uses the filenames file1.txt and file2.txt, but your description says that the second file is named File2.txt. The code above uses the filenames given in the description of your problem and produces the output you said you wanted.

If you want to try this on a Solaris/SunOS system, change awk to /usr/xpg4/bin/awk or nawk.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search multiple strings in a file

Hi All, I want to search all the ksh scripts that has following details. 1. Search for "exit 0" 2. Search for "sqlldr" or sqlplus" 3. In the above files i want to search for all the script that has no "case" in it. Please advice. Thanks, Deep (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakpv
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

search file between last occurence of 2 strings

I need to extract the last block of /== START OF SQLPLUS ==/ and /== END OF SQLPLUS ==/. The logifle is written to several times in a day using >> to append. I need a solution using grep/sed. logfile looks like this START OF LOGFILE /== START OF SQLPLUS ==/ ERROR /== END OF SQLPLUS... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanton
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search complicated strings on file

Can someone help me? I been figuring out how I can search and extract a complicated search string from a file. The whole string is delimited by a period. And the file where I'm searching is composed of differnt string such as that. For example, I have this search string: and I have a file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Orbix
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search multiple Strings in a File

Hi I want to search multiple strings in a file . But the search should start with "From" Keyword and end with before "Where" keyword. Please suggest me. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sboss
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search two strings in a file and print the contents in between to a file

I have a file called po.txt. Here is the content of the file: <!DOCTYPE PurchaseOrderMessage (View Source for full doctype...)> - <PurchaseOrder> - <Header> <MessageId>cdb3062b-685b-4cd5-9633-013186750e10</MessageId> <Timestamp>2011-08-01T13:47:23.536-04:00</Timestamp> </Header> -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: webbi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search strings from array in second file

I have a file search_strings.txt filled with search strings which have a blank in between and look like this: S. g. Erh. o. J. v. d. Chijs g. Ehr.I would like to search the strings in the second given Textfile.txt and it shall return the column number. Can anybody help with the correct... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - use search keywords from array and search a file and print 3rd field when matched

Hi , I have been trying to write a perl script to do this job. But i am not able to achieve the desired result. Below is my code. my $current_value=12345; my @users=("bob","ben","tom","harry"); open DBLIST,"<","/var/tmp/DBinfo"; my @input = <DBLIST>; foreach (@users) { my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read in search strings from text file, search for string in second text file and output to CSV

Hi guys, I have a text file named file1.txt that is formatted like this: 001 , ID , 20000 002 , Name , Brandon 003 , Phone_Number , 616-234-1999 004 , SSNumber , 234-23-234 005 , Model , Toyota 007 , Engine ,V8 008 , GPS , OFF and I have file2.txt formatted like this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: An0mander
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use strings from nth field from one file to match strings in entire line in another file, awk

I cannot seem to get what should be a simple awk one-liner to work correctly and cannot figure out why. I would like to use patterns from a specific field in one file as regex to search for matching strings in the entire line ($0) of another file. I would like to output the lines of File2 which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jvoot
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a text between two strings in a file using regex

Here is my sample file data: My requirement is to have a regex expression that is able to search for visible starting string "SSLInsecureRenegotiation Off" between strings "<VirtualHost " and "</VirtualHost>". In the sample data two lines should be matched. Below is what I tried but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies
SC_TRACEDIFF(1) 					    BSD General Commands Manual 					   SC_TRACEDIFF(1)

NAME
sc_tracediff -- display traceroute paths where the path has changed. SYNOPSIS
sc_tracediff [-a] [-m method] [-n] file1.warts file2.warts DESCRIPTION
The sc_tracediff utility displays pairs of traceroutes to a destination where the path has changed. It takes two warts files as input and displays paths where a hop differs by its address. The options are as follows: -a dump all traceroute pairs regardless of whether they have changed. -m method specifies the method used to match pairs of traceroutes together. If dst is specified, traceroutes are matched if the destination IP address of both traces are the same. If userid is specified, traceroutes are matched if the userid field of both traces are the same. If dstuserid is specified, traceroutes are matched if the destination IP address and userid fields are the same. By default, the destination IP address is used. -n names should be reported instead of IP addresses, where possible. sc_tracediff can be useful in network monitoring to identify when a forward IP path has changed. In this scenario, it is recommended that Paris traceroute is used with the same UDP source and destination ports for each execution of scamper so that only paths that have changed are identified, not merely alternate paths visible due to per-flow load-balancing. By default scamper uses a source port based on the process ID, which will change with each execution of scamper. EXAMPLES
The command: scamper -O warts -o file1.warts -c 'trace -P udp-paris -s 31337' -f list.txt collects the forward IP paths towards a set of IP addresses found in list.txt using 31337 as the UDP source port value. If the above command is adjusted to subsequently collect file2.warts, then we can identify paths that have subsequently changed with the command: sc_tracediff file1.warts file2.warts If Paris traceroute with ICMP probes is preferred, then the following invocation of scamper is appropriate: scamper -O warts -o file1.warts -c 'trace -P icmp-paris -d 31337' -f list.txt In this case, scamper uses 31337 as the ICMP checksum value in each probe. SEE ALSO
scamper(1), B. Augustin, X. Cuvellier, B. Orgogozo, F. Viger, T. Friedman, M. Latapy, C. Magnien, and R. Teixeira, Avoiding traceroute anomalies with Paris traceroute, Proc. ACM/SIGCOMM Internet Measurement Conference 2006. AUTHOR
sc_tracediff is written by Matthew Luckie <mjl@luckie.org.nz>. BSD
April 21, 2011 BSD