Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting What is the meaning of ## in UNIX shell script? Post 302988663 by shuklajayb4 on Friday 30th of December 2016 01:39:54 PM
Old 12-30-2016
What is the meaning of ## in UNIX shell script?

Hi All,

I am new to unix shell scripting and I was documenting one of the unix script and encountered below statements -

Code:
for ii in `ls -1rt /oracle/admin/MARSCOPY/ext_files/fpm-ifpm/*.small.txt | tail -1 | awk '{print $1}'`
do
smallssim=${ii##/oracle/admin/MARSCOPY/ext_files/fpm-ifpm/}
prefix=`echo $smallssim | awk -F. '{print $1}'`

I tried to find the meaning of ## on google or other posts but could not find it.

Can anyone please help me understand meaning of the value smallssim?

Thanks in Advance.
Jay Shukla

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE/ICODE tags correctly as required by forum rules!

Last edited by RudiC; 12-30-2016 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: Changed CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Meaning of unix-rt ldp file type

Hello I was wondering what this file type means... assuming it is some type of data. Is ldp - Linux Doc Program? What type of program would be used to read or interpret this file type? As you can see I'm not a developer, and don't review these types of files. But would like to view... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jfmrts
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Meaning of ; in UNIX file?

Hello. I'm looking at a file that has a ; at the beginning of certain lines. Could someone please tell me what that means? Is it a comment? Is it an execute? Thank You (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: willdaw3
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Oot: Level 2 Unix Support? meaning

Hi all, I am sorry, I know this is not correct forum/silly question (usually this is requirement in some vacancies), but i hope someone can explain to me, what is the meaning of : SUN Tier 3 Support Tier 3 Application Installation Level 2 Solaris Level 2 AD MOM + DBA Thank you. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blesets
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

meaning of .& in shell

Hi , can anyone explain me the meaning of following line ". &13FNAME/version_encours/cfg/dfm.cfg" Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scorpio
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

meaning of & in sh shell

All, I have a line in my code like below , could any one please tell me what this actually mean what is the & doding there. I am in sh shell #!/bin/sh .............. mv &fname &III.tar.gz Thanks in Advance, Arun (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of '$#' in Unix

All, In the below mentioned piece of code : if test $# -eq 1 then echo "Input parameter passed into DMI_weekly.ksh..." | tee -a $RUNLOG typeset -u ORACLE_SID export ORACLE_SID="$1" else echo "ERROR 060: Arguments passed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Oracle_User
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of each term in stty -a in unix

Hi, Can someone help me with the meaning of each term in the below command in unix: stty-aRegds, I have searched google for a lot for this, but didnt get any success in this. Kunwar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kunwar
2 Replies

8. Linux

Shell ${1:-/etc/hosts} meaning

Hello. In some script, I saw: filename=${1:-/etc/hosts} if && ; then md5sum $filename else echo “$filename can not be processed” fi # Show the file if possible ls -ld $filename 2>/dev/null What does the first line means? In $filename I still got /etc/hosts. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lozicd3
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Script - snipet meaning?

What would the below code snippet mean? my ($_configParam, $_paramValue) = split(/\s*=\s*/, $_, 2); $configParamHash{$_configParam} = $_paramValue; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaKha
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of =~ in shell script

Please let me understand the meaning of following line in unix bash scripting .is =~ means not equal to or equal to . if ]; then echo -e "pmcmd startworkflow -sv ${INTSERV} -d ${INFA_DEFAULT_DOMAIN} -uv INFA_DEFAULT_DOMAIN_USER" \ "-pv INFA_DEFAULT_DOMAIN_PASSWORD -usdv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harry00514
2 Replies
PKLA-ADMIN-IDENTIT(8)					       pkla-admin-identities					     PKLA-ADMIN-IDENTIT(8)

NAME
pkla-admin-identities - List pklocalauthority-configured polkit administrators SYNOPSIS
pkla-admin-identities [--help] pkla-admin-identities [--config-path config-path] DESCRIPTION
pkla-admin-identities interprets configuration files described below to determine which users polkit(8) considers administrators, using a non-JavaScript configuration file format described below. Note: Determining which users are considered administrators is driven by JavaScript rules as described in polkit(8). pkla-admin-identities is called by a JavaScript rule file named 49-polkit-pkla-compat.rules; other JavaScript rules with a higher priority may exist, so the pkla-admin-identities configuration may not necessarily govern the final decision by polkit(8). The ordering of the JavaScript rule files and the ordering of pkla-admin-identities configuration files is not integrated and uses different rules; the pkla-admin-identities configuration evaluation is happens at a single point within the JavaScript rule evaluation order. pkla-admin-identities is an internal helper program of pkla-polkit-compat. You shouldn't need to run it directly, except for debugging purposes. Configuration is read from files with a .conf extension in the /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d directory. All files are read in lexicographical order (using the C locale), meaning that later files can override earlier ones. The file 50-localauthority.conf contains the settings provided by the OS vendor. Users and 3rd party packages can drop configuration files with a priority higher than 60 to change the defaults. The configuration file format is simple. Each configuration file is a key file (also commonly known as a ini file) with a single group called [Configuration]. Only a single key, AdminIdentities is read. The value of this key is a semi-colon separated list of identities that can be used when administrator authentication is required. Users are specified by prefixing the user name with unix-user:, groups of users are specified by prefixing with unix-group:, and netgroups of users are specified with unix-netgroup:. See the section called "EXAMPLE" for an example of a configuration file. pkla-admin-identities outputs the resulting configuration of administrator identities, one identity per line, using the same format (including e.g. the unix-user: prefix). If no administrator identities are configured in the above-described configuration files, the output will be empty. OPTIONS
-h, --help Write a summary of the available options to standard output and exit successfully. -c, --config-path=config-path Search for configuration files in config-path instead of the default /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d. EXIT STATUS
pkla-admin-identities exits with 0 on success (even if there are no administrator identities), and a non-zero status on error. FILES
/etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d Default directory containing configuration files. EXAMPLE
The following .conf file [Configuration] AdminIdentities=unix-group:staff specifies that any user in the staff UNIX group can be used for authentication when administrator authentication is needed. This file would typically be installed in the /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d directory and given the name 60-desktop-policy.conf to ensure that it is evaluated after the 50-localauthority.conf file shipped with pkla-polkit-compat. If the local administrator wants to override this (suppose 60-desktop-policy.conf was shipped as part of the OS) he can simply create a file 99-my-admin-configuration.conf with the following content [Configuration] AdminIdentities=unix-user:lisa;unix-user:marge to specify that only the users lisa and marge can authenticate when administrator authentication is needed. AUTHOR
Written by David Zeuthen <davidz@redhat.com> with a lot of help from many others. Adapted by Miloslav Trma <mitr@redhat.com>. SEE ALSO
polkit(8) polkit-pkla-compat May 2013 PKLA-ADMIN-IDENTIT(8)