Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting What is the meaning of ## in UNIX shell script? Post 302988663 by shuklajayb4 on Friday 30th of December 2016 01:39:54 PM
Old 12-30-2016
What is the meaning of ## in UNIX shell script?

Hi All,

I am new to unix shell scripting and I was documenting one of the unix script and encountered below statements -

Code:
for ii in `ls -1rt /oracle/admin/MARSCOPY/ext_files/fpm-ifpm/*.small.txt | tail -1 | awk '{print $1}'`
do
smallssim=${ii##/oracle/admin/MARSCOPY/ext_files/fpm-ifpm/}
prefix=`echo $smallssim | awk -F. '{print $1}'`

I tried to find the meaning of ## on google or other posts but could not find it.

Can anyone please help me understand meaning of the value smallssim?

Thanks in Advance.
Jay Shukla

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE/ICODE tags correctly as required by forum rules!

Last edited by RudiC; 12-30-2016 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: Changed CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Meaning of unix-rt ldp file type

Hello I was wondering what this file type means... assuming it is some type of data. Is ldp - Linux Doc Program? What type of program would be used to read or interpret this file type? As you can see I'm not a developer, and don't review these types of files. But would like to view... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jfmrts
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Meaning of ; in UNIX file?

Hello. I'm looking at a file that has a ; at the beginning of certain lines. Could someone please tell me what that means? Is it a comment? Is it an execute? Thank You (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: willdaw3
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Oot: Level 2 Unix Support? meaning

Hi all, I am sorry, I know this is not correct forum/silly question (usually this is requirement in some vacancies), but i hope someone can explain to me, what is the meaning of : SUN Tier 3 Support Tier 3 Application Installation Level 2 Solaris Level 2 AD MOM + DBA Thank you. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blesets
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

meaning of .& in shell

Hi , can anyone explain me the meaning of following line ". &13FNAME/version_encours/cfg/dfm.cfg" Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scorpio
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

meaning of & in sh shell

All, I have a line in my code like below , could any one please tell me what this actually mean what is the & doding there. I am in sh shell #!/bin/sh .............. mv &fname &III.tar.gz Thanks in Advance, Arun (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of '$#' in Unix

All, In the below mentioned piece of code : if test $# -eq 1 then echo "Input parameter passed into DMI_weekly.ksh..." | tee -a $RUNLOG typeset -u ORACLE_SID export ORACLE_SID="$1" else echo "ERROR 060: Arguments passed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Oracle_User
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of each term in stty -a in unix

Hi, Can someone help me with the meaning of each term in the below command in unix: stty-aRegds, I have searched google for a lot for this, but didnt get any success in this. Kunwar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kunwar
2 Replies

8. Linux

Shell ${1:-/etc/hosts} meaning

Hello. In some script, I saw: filename=${1:-/etc/hosts} if && ; then md5sum $filename else echo “$filename can not be processed” fi # Show the file if possible ls -ld $filename 2>/dev/null What does the first line means? In $filename I still got /etc/hosts. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lozicd3
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Script - snipet meaning?

What would the below code snippet mean? my ($_configParam, $_paramValue) = split(/\s*=\s*/, $_, 2); $configParamHash{$_configParam} = $_paramValue; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaKha
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of =~ in shell script

Please let me understand the meaning of following line in unix bash scripting .is =~ means not equal to or equal to . if ]; then echo -e "pmcmd startworkflow -sv ${INTSERV} -d ${INFA_DEFAULT_DOMAIN} -uv INFA_DEFAULT_DOMAIN_USER" \ "-pv INFA_DEFAULT_DOMAIN_PASSWORD -usdv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harry00514
2 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)