Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting What is the meaning of ## in UNIX shell script? Post 302988663 by shuklajayb4 on Friday 30th of December 2016 01:39:54 PM
Old 12-30-2016
What is the meaning of ## in UNIX shell script?

Hi All,

I am new to unix shell scripting and I was documenting one of the unix script and encountered below statements -

Code:
for ii in `ls -1rt /oracle/admin/MARSCOPY/ext_files/fpm-ifpm/*.small.txt | tail -1 | awk '{print $1}'`
do
smallssim=${ii##/oracle/admin/MARSCOPY/ext_files/fpm-ifpm/}
prefix=`echo $smallssim | awk -F. '{print $1}'`

I tried to find the meaning of ## on google or other posts but could not find it.

Can anyone please help me understand meaning of the value smallssim?

Thanks in Advance.
Jay Shukla

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE/ICODE tags correctly as required by forum rules!

Last edited by RudiC; 12-30-2016 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: Changed CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Meaning of unix-rt ldp file type

Hello I was wondering what this file type means... assuming it is some type of data. Is ldp - Linux Doc Program? What type of program would be used to read or interpret this file type? As you can see I'm not a developer, and don't review these types of files. But would like to view... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jfmrts
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Meaning of ; in UNIX file?

Hello. I'm looking at a file that has a ; at the beginning of certain lines. Could someone please tell me what that means? Is it a comment? Is it an execute? Thank You (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: willdaw3
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Oot: Level 2 Unix Support? meaning

Hi all, I am sorry, I know this is not correct forum/silly question (usually this is requirement in some vacancies), but i hope someone can explain to me, what is the meaning of : SUN Tier 3 Support Tier 3 Application Installation Level 2 Solaris Level 2 AD MOM + DBA Thank you. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blesets
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

meaning of .& in shell

Hi , can anyone explain me the meaning of following line ". &13FNAME/version_encours/cfg/dfm.cfg" Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scorpio
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

meaning of & in sh shell

All, I have a line in my code like below , could any one please tell me what this actually mean what is the & doding there. I am in sh shell #!/bin/sh .............. mv &fname &III.tar.gz Thanks in Advance, Arun (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of '$#' in Unix

All, In the below mentioned piece of code : if test $# -eq 1 then echo "Input parameter passed into DMI_weekly.ksh..." | tee -a $RUNLOG typeset -u ORACLE_SID export ORACLE_SID="$1" else echo "ERROR 060: Arguments passed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Oracle_User
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of each term in stty -a in unix

Hi, Can someone help me with the meaning of each term in the below command in unix: stty-aRegds, I have searched google for a lot for this, but didnt get any success in this. Kunwar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kunwar
2 Replies

8. Linux

Shell ${1:-/etc/hosts} meaning

Hello. In some script, I saw: filename=${1:-/etc/hosts} if && ; then md5sum $filename else echo “$filename can not be processed” fi # Show the file if possible ls -ld $filename 2>/dev/null What does the first line means? In $filename I still got /etc/hosts. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lozicd3
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Script - snipet meaning?

What would the below code snippet mean? my ($_configParam, $_paramValue) = split(/\s*=\s*/, $_, 2); $configParamHash{$_configParam} = $_paramValue; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaKha
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of =~ in shell script

Please let me understand the meaning of following line in unix bash scripting .is =~ means not equal to or equal to . if ]; then echo -e "pmcmd startworkflow -sv ${INTSERV} -d ${INFA_DEFAULT_DOMAIN} -uv INFA_DEFAULT_DOMAIN_USER" \ "-pv INFA_DEFAULT_DOMAIN_PASSWORD -usdv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harry00514
2 Replies
BBHOSTGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual						     BBHOSTGREP(1)

NAME
bbhostgrep - pick out lines in bb-hosts SYNOPSIS
bbhostgrep --help bbhostgrep --version bbhostgrep [--noextras] [--test-untagged] [--bbdisp] [--bbnet] TAG [TAG...] DESCRIPTION
bbhostgrep(1) is for use by extension scripts that need to pick out the entries in a bb-hosts file that are relevant to the script. The utility accepts test names as parameters, and will then parse the bb-hosts file and print out the host entries that have at least one of the wanted tests specified. Tags may be given with a trailing asterisk '*', e.g. "bbhostgrep http*" is needed to find all http and https tags. The bbhostgrep utility supports the use of "include" directives inside the bb-hosts file, and will find matching tags in all included files. If the DOWNTIME or SLA tags are used in the bb-hosts(5) file, these are interpreted relative to the current time. bbhostgrep then outputs a "INSIDESLA" or "OUTSIDESLA" tag for easier use by scripts that want to check if the current time is inside or outside the expected uptime window. OPTIONS
--noextras Remove the "testip", "dialup", "INSIDESLA" and "OUTSIDESLA" tags from the output. --test-untagged When using the BBLOCATION environment variable to test only hosts on a particular network segment, bbtest-net will ignore hosts that do not have any "NET:x" tag. So only hosts that have a NET:$BBLOCATION tag will be tested. With this option, hosts with no NET: tag are included in the test, so that all hosts that either have a matching NET: tag, or no NET: tag at all are tested. --no-down[=TESTNAME] bbhostgrep will query the Xymon server for the current status of the "conn" test, and if TESTNAME is specified also for the current state of the specified test. If the status of the "conn" test for a host is non-green, or the status of the TESTNAME test is dis- abled, then this host is ignored and will not be included in the output. This can be used to ignore hosts that are down, or hosts where the custom test is disabled. --bbdisp Search the bb-hosts file following include statements as a BBDISPLAY server would. --bbnet Search the bb-hosts file following include statements as a BBNET server would. EXAMPLE
If your bb-hosts file looks like this 192.168.1.1 www.test.com # ftp telnet !oracle 192.168.1.2 db1.test.com # oracle 192.168.1.3 mail.test.com # smtp and you have a custom Xymon extension script that performs the "oracle" test, then running "bbhostgrep oracle" would yield 192.168.1.1 www.test.com # !oracle 192.168.1.2 db1.test.com # oracle so the script can quickly find the hosts that are of interest. Note that the reverse-test modifier - "!oracle" - is included in the output; this also applies to the other test modifiers defined by Xymon (the dialup and always-true modifiers). If your extension scripts use more than one tag, just list all of the interesting tags on the command line. bbhostgrep also supports the "NET:location" tag used by bbtest-net, so if your script performs network checks then it will see only the hosts that are relevant for the test location that the script currently executes on. USE IN EXTENSION SCRIPTS
To integrate bbhostgrep into an existing script, look for the line in the script that grep's in the $BBHOSTS file. Typically it will look somewhat like this: $GREP -i "^[0-9].*#.*TESTNAME" $BBHOSTS | ... code to handle test Instead of the grep, we will use bbhostgrep. It then becomes $BBHOME/bin/bbhostgrep TESTNAME | ... code to handle test which is simpler, less error-prone and more efficient. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
BBLOCATION If set, bbhostgrep outputs only lines from bb-hosts that have a matching NET:$BBLOCATION setting. BBHOSTS Filename for the Xymon bb-hosts(5) file. FILES
$BBHOSTS The Xymon bb-hosts file SEE ALSO
bb-hosts(5), hobbitserver.cfg(5) Xymon Version 4.2.3: 4 Feb 2009 BBHOSTGREP(1)