Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: CPU performance
Operating Systems AIX CPU performance Post 302988604 by bakunin on Thursday 29th of December 2016 10:44:59 AM
Old 12-29-2016
You have no CPU shortage at all, but the server is heavily misconfigured: it is one small step away from swapping to death. The high numbers in "fr" and "sr" are signs that memory is on the brink of being exhausted and the system is already scanning frantically for places which can be swapped out in case. The chock full blocked-queue and the wait% in the CPU section come from the system having to wait for I/O. This would be OK if the presented snapshot is from a backup cycle (where only I/O counts and the system is normally bound by that) but if this is the usual state of affairs the system would greatly profit from more I/O-capacity (like a better network connection, faster disks, etc. - where exactly the bottleneck in I/O is doesn't show up in the picture).

I don't know for sure but if this is an Oracle system you most probably have the SGA configured too big. Reduce it in size (or add memory, with the same effect) and add I/O capacity and you probably can take away ~3-4 processors without the performance being altered at all, perhaps even better.

You might want to read the Performance Tuning Introduction i wrote for an in-depth explanation of what is going on in your system.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Last edited by bakunin; 12-29-2016 at 11:53 AM..
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Performance Problem - High CPU utilization

Hello everybody. I have a problem with my AIX 5.3. Recently my unix shows a high cpu utilization with sar or topas. I need to find what I have to do to solve this problem, in fact, I don't know what is my problem. I had the same problem with another AIX 5.3 running the same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilder.mellotto
2 Replies

2. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Announcing collectl - new performance linux performance monitor

About 4 years ago I wrote this tool inspired by Rob Urban's collect tool for DEC's Tru64 Unix. What makes this tool as different as collect was in its day is its ability to run at a low overhead and collect tons of stuff. I've expanded the general concept and even include data not available in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MarkSeger
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Multi CPU Solaris system shows 100% CPU usage.

Hello Friends, On one of my Solaris 10 box, CPU usage shows 100% using "sar", "vmstat". However, it has 4 CPUs and prstat and glance are not showing enough processes to justify high CPU utilization. ========================================================================= $ prstat -a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahive
4 Replies

4. Solaris

In Solaris Zones Dedicated-Cpu Performance?

Hi All, While creating zone we will mention min and max cpu cores, like add dedicated-cpu set ncpus=NUM_CPUS_MIN-NUM_CPUS_MAX end Ques1: Suppose thing that non global zone uses only minimum cores at particular time What the other cores will do, Will it shared to global zone? Ques:2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijaysachin
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Bad performance but Low CPU loading?

There might be some problem with my server, because every morning at 7, it's performance become bad with no DB extra deadlock. But I just couldn't figure it out. Please give me some advise, thanks a lot... According to the CPU performace chart, Daily CPU loading Maximum: 42 %, Average:36%. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: GreenShery
8 Replies

6. SCO

CPU Performance Problems on VMWARE

hi We have migrated SCO 5.0.6 into ESX4, but the VM eats 100% of the virtual CPU. Here is top print from the SCO VM: last pid: 16773; load averages: 1.68, 1.25, 0.98 02:08:41 79 processes: 75 sleeping, 2 running, 1 zombie, 1 onproc CPU states: 0.0% idle, 17.0% user,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
7 Replies

7. HP-UX

Performance - CPU spiking

We have a DB server which is constantly utilised above 95% above. This is becoming nuisance when the monitoring team frequently calls to check on it. Frankly I do not know what to tweak or even interpret the outputs. I noticed constant 30 to 60% in wio column of the cpu utilisation. There... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sundar63
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX CPU performance script ?

I want to write a shell script which will print AIX CPU utilization memory utilization every 5 mins redirect to file. How do i do it? Please advise. Which commands I should use? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vegasluxor
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Understanding & Monitoring CPU performance (Load vs SAR)

Hi all, Been reading a lot of the cpu load and its "analogy of it to car traffic path of expressway" From wiki Most UNIX systems count only processes in the running (on CPU) or runnable (waiting for CPU) states. However, Linux also includes processes in uninterruptible sleep states... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
13 Replies
weatherrc(5)							File Formats Manual						      weatherrc(5)

NAME
weatherrc - configuration file format for the weather(1) utility DESCRIPTION
The weatherrc file format is intended to specify a set of aliases by which to group URIs for METAR station conditions and alert/forecast zones, but other command-line options and flags for the weather utility can be specified as well. The file is organized as an INI-format config, with the alias name in [] brackets and the associated parameter/value pairs on following lines. Parameters and their values are separated by = or : characters. Multi-word values do not need quoting. These parameters are supported... alert include local alert notices (possible values are False and True or 0 and 1) atypes list of alert notification types to display (ex: tornado_warning,urgent_weather_message) cache control all caching (possible values are False and True or 0 and 1) cache_data control retrieved data caching (possible values are False and True or 0 and 1) cache_search control search result caching (possible values are False and True or 0 and 1) cacheage duration in seconds to refresh cached data (ex: 900) cachedir directory for storing cached searches and data (ex: ~/.weather) conditions output current conditions (possible values are False and True or 0 and 1) defargs list of default command-line arguments (ex: avl,rdu) forecast include a local forecast (possible values are False and True or 0 and 1) headers list of conditions headers to display (ex: temperature,wind) imperial filter/convert conditions for US/UK units (possible values are False and True or 0 and 1) metric filter/convert conditions for metric units (possible values are False and True or 0 and 1) quiet skip preambles and don't indent (possible values are False and True or 0 and 1) setpath directory search path for correlation sets (ex: .:~/.weather) verbose show full decoded feeds (possible values are False and True or 0 and 1) EXAMPLES
The following is an example ~/.weather/weatherrc defining a couple aliases named home and work to be displayed when running the utility with no aliases specified... [default] defargs = home,work [home] description = Conditions and Forecast at Home forecast = True metar = http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/KRDU.TXT zone_forecast = http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/forecasts/zone/nc/ncz041.txt [work] description = Conditions at Work metar = http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/KGSO.TXT Now if weather is invoked by itself on the command line, it will output conditions for home and work, and also a forecast for home only. AUTHOR
Specification and manual written by Jeremy Stanley <fungi@yuggoth.org>. SEE ALSO
weather(1) 2.0 2012-06-24 weatherrc(5)