Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat ACLs - How can i create new executable files Post 302988349 by berveglieri on Saturday 24th of December 2016 09:01:48 AM
Old 12-24-2016
RedHat ACLs - How can i create new executable files

Hello experts,

I would like to know if is possible to create a default acl rule to a directory.
in this directory all files created should have executable permissions by the group IT.

i tried setfacl -m d:g:it:rwx /files

tried to change the mask setfacl -m m::rwx /files
but i still can't get the files to be created by the group IT with execution permissions.

only if i apply the acl individual for each file.

I know this is not a good practice to have file with execution permissions by default but i want it for academic purposes.

Thank you.

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 12-24-2016 at 10:30 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Makefile compilation Error -Unable to create executable

Hi , While trying to compile a PRO*C code on unix using makefile i get the following errors. i am now working on a 10g migration (from 8i) ... these makefile perfectly work in previous version. ld: fatal: file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivalives
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executable files

This question always confuses me :- Suppose I write a program and compile it on a machine with operating system A and processor B will the exe file run on a machine with operating system A2 but processor B operating system A but processor B2 operating system A2 and processor B2........ ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nervous
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

listing executable files in unix.

How to list out the files which are not accessed for the last n days? and How to list out all the executable files in a directory? can anyone help me on the above? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I make "touch" create executable files by manipulating umask?

I'm getting to grips with this concept of the umask. What I thought was, setting umask uga+rwx would result in creating files with all permissions for everyone. Seems not to be the case though. Read and write bits get set, but not the execute bit. Is there some gap in my understanding, or is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tphyahoo
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

executable files

hello. My question, basically is: what is the definition of unix/linux exec files, or what makes a file executable? More specifically, must a unix source file that was compiled using gcc have exec permissions in order to be considered executable? Is it right to say that a unix/linux exec file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nadavkri
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create GUI or Executable For Script

Hi all. I've got a unix script at work that I just got done with. Now they want me to write some simple way to run it on Windows. Right now we log into a Solaris server using Hummingbird Exceed to gain a terminal. Im thinking that there really isn't any good way to get Windows and the server... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grizzly
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create executable file just like in folder /bin?

I know shell is an interpreter language, but can I make an executable file just like in folder /bin, /usr/bin, etc which source code was from a .sh file or from some .sh files?? My main purpose is to hide the source code. thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 14th
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Command to list all header files used to create an executable

All, I would like to know if there is a command which will list all the header files which were used while creating the executable. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: helper
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create an executable bash script for these commands?

I wish to create an executable bash script that will run the following commands as root, that is, using sudo su iptables-save | awk '/^ / { print $1 } /^:+ / { print $1 " ACCEPT" ; } /COMMIT/ { print $0; }' | iptables-restoreMy first attempt at bash... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: thixeqi
9 Replies
CHACL(1)						       Access Control Lists							  CHACL(1)

NAME
chacl - change the access control list of a file or directory SYNOPSIS
chacl acl pathname... chacl -b acl dacl pathname... chacl -d dacl pathname... chacl -R pathname... chacl -D pathname... chacl -B pathname... chacl -l pathname... chacl -r pathname... DESCRIPTION
chacl is an IRIX-compatibility command, and is maintained for those users who are familiar with its use from either XFS or IRIX. Refer to the SEE ALSO section below for a description of tools which conform more closely to the (withdrawn draft) POSIX 1003.1e standard which describes Access Control Lists (ACLs). chacl changes the ACL(s) for a file or directory. The ACL(s) specified are applied to each file in the pathname arguments. Each ACL is a string which is interpreted using the acl_from_text(3) routine. These strings are made up of comma separated clauses each of which is of the form, tag:name:perm. Where tag can be: "user" (or "u") indicating that the entry is a user ACL entry. "group" (or "g") indicating that the entry is a group ACL entry. "other" (or "o") indicating that the entry is an other ACL entry. "mask" (or "m") indicating that the entry is a mask ACL entry. name is a string which is the user or group name for the ACL entry. A null name in a user or group ACL entry indicates the file's owner or file's group. perm is the string "rwx" where each of the entries may be replaced by a "-" indicating no access of that type, e.g. "r-x", "--x", "---". OPTIONS
-b Indicates that there are two ACLs to change, the first is the file access ACL and the second the directory default ACL. -d Used to set only the default ACL of a directory. -R Removes the file access ACL only. -D Removes directory default ACL only. -B Remove all ACLs. -l Lists the access ACL and possibly the default ACL associated with the specified files or directories. This option was added during the Linux port of XFS, and is not IRIX compatible. -r Set the access ACL recursively for each subtree rooted at pathname(s). This option was also added during the Linux port of XFS, and is not compatible with IRIX. EXAMPLES
A minimum ACL: chacl u::rwx,g::r-x,o::r-- file The file ACL is set so that the file's owner has "rwx", the file's group has read and execute, and others have read only access to the file. An ACL that is not a minimum ACL, that is, one that specifies a user or group other than the file's owner or owner's group, must contain a mask entry: chacl u::rwx,g::r-x,o::r--,u:bob:r--,m::r-x file1 file2 To set the default and access ACLs on newdir to be the same as on olddir, you could type: chacl -b `chacl -l olddir | sed -e 's/.*[//' -e 's#/# #' -e 's/]$//'` newdir CAUTIONS
chacl can replace the existing ACL. To add or delete entries, you must first do chacl -l to get the existing ACL, and use the output to form the arguments to chacl. Changing the permission bits of a file will change the file access ACL settings (see chmod(1)). However, file creation mode masks (see umask(1)) will not affect the access ACL settings of files created using directory default ACLs. ACLs are filesystem extended attributes and hence are not typically archived or restored using the conventional archiving utilities. See attr(5) for more information about extended attributes and see xfsdump(8) for a method of backing them up under XFS. SEE ALSO
getfacl(1), setfacl(1), chmod(1), umask(1), acl_from_text(3), acl(5), xfsdump(8) September 2001 ACL File Utilities CHACL(1)