Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Helpm with time function
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Helpm with time function Post 302988314 by rbatte1 on Friday 23rd of December 2016 11:38:52 AM
Old 12-23-2016
Quote:
...code but doesnt work well.
Sadly, the above doesn't help us diagnose it very well. What output/errors do you get?
Can you get any trace output from/after the mktime function? I think that the date input to mktime is actually a string in the format YYYY MM DD HH MM SS and you don't have all of it, hence I'm wondering if that's where it's going wrong. There is also confusion about all the double quotes.

I also don't see where you are trying to output the days as days. You are displaying the output as the raw difference between two timestamps, which we don't know if they are formatted correctly.

Can you add some printf statements into your code and show us the output from a single input record?

Kind regards,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

C time in milliseconds function.

I need a c function which return the time in: hour min sec and mil sec I am writing on unix os. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamil
3 Replies

2. Programming

find CPU Time for a function (subsecond precision)

Hi, I need to time a certain function in my C/C++ code and I am experiencing some difficulties. I timed it using wallclock time so I know that it takes approximately 500-600 microseconds with gettimeofday(&start, NULL); // my function call gettimeofday(&end, NULL); answer = (end.tv_sec -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zynnel
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

time function

Hi, I would like to display the exact time taken to complete running a particular tool or function or program to user I don't know the exact time functions in unix, please help me thanks in advance Example: $test.ksh output should be The... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: hsekol
10 Replies

4. Programming

function time

Hello I have problem with function 'time' to test my program for file copying . How to run the function in my source code ? I try something like that: system("time"); < -- but this don't working (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotty_123
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nawk Time Function

Hi All, I am using solaris and nawk. Is there any time function in nawk which is simliar to the shell `date` function ? Can any experts show any examples? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix function to calcuate the difference in time

HI , I need to get the timedifference between two values... which funcation will help eg: difference betweem 19:22 and 19:43 should give 21 mins (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: savitha
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

time function

hello everybody! i want to post a question. So, I use the command 'time a.out' to time the duration of the program a.out. The return value of this function was: real 0m4.116s user 0m4.112s sys 0m0.016s What i want is! I try to find a way to get (NOT manually) the value of real time.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicos
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

lightweight function for measuring time ( better than clock_getime )

HI I have a Red Hat Enterprise with Real Time kernel. Are you aware if there are C functions for this kernel or some code/library for this OS for measuring time more lightweight than clock_gettime and gettimeofday? THe hardware I have is NUMA. Reading forums I found gethrtime but it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manustone
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

/usr/bin/time Shell Scripting Function

Hello, I have made a Linux Shell Script that downloads 6 files from the Internet and then deletes them. Now i want to use the function "/usr/bin/time" and "bc" to calculate how long the avergate run time for the shell script is. I therefore need to do it 100 times. My shell script code is below: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: solo2
6 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

'time' does NOT work on a function in 'dash'.

Hi guys and gals... I am writing a piece of code that is dash compliant and came across this error. I have put it in the OSX section as that is what I am using. I have no idea what the 'dash' version is but was installed about 6 months ago. MBP, OSX 10.12.6, default terminal running dash on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
4 Replies
dp(8mh) 																   dp(8mh)

Name
       dp - parse dates RFC 822-style

Syntax
       /usr/lib/mh/dp [ -form file ] [ -format string ] [ -help ] [ -width columns ] dates

Description
       The command parses dates according to the ARPA Internet standard.  It also understands many non-standard formats, such as those produced by
       TOPS-20 sites and some UNIX sites using It is useful for seeing how MH will interpret a date.

The program treats each argument as a single date, and prints the date out in the official RFC 822 format.  Hence, it is  usually  best	to
       enclose each argument in double quotes (") for the shell.

Options
       -form file
		 Overrides the default output format of The output is formatted according to the instructions in the specified file.  This must be
		 a format file; see

-format string
		 Overrides the default output format of The output is formatted according to the instructions in the specified string.	This  must
		 be a format string; see

The  argument to the -format option must be interpreted as a single token by the shell that invokes Therefore, you should usually
		 place the argument to this option inside double quotes (").

-help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

-width columns
		 Specifies the width of the screen in columns.

The defaults for this command are as follows:

-width defaults to the width of the terminal

Examples
       This is the default format string used by
       %<(nodate{text})error: %{text}%|%(pretty{text})%>

When an error is detected, this prints error: and the date that is in error.  Otherwise, it outputs the proper RFC 822 format of the date.

Files
       User profile.

See Also
       ap(8mh)
       Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages (RFC 822)

dp(8mh)