Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Can't delete a file in the trash on OSX 10.11.6 Post 302988247 by hicksd8 on Thursday 22nd of December 2016 11:31:13 AM
Old 12-22-2016
You're welcome. You obviously have great OSX knowledge and will continue with research. There are some big guns subscribed to this thread who aren't currently online - DukeNuke2, Don, Jim, RudiC and Gull04.

Probably at least some of them will be able to add something to this.

Let's keep with it.

---------- Post updated at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:09 PM ----------

Dunno if it's relevant but I've been reading about a OSX utility called 'trimforce' which enables access to SSD drives. Perhaps search for that and checkout if it's relevant to help out this issue.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file permisions 2000 to OSX

Could anyone tell me how or point me in the right direction on how to save files from a 2000box to a OSX server with the correct file permissions. File goes over and the only person that has r/w permissions is the owner everyone else is read only. HELP!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mom
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Script for automatic deletion of trash file of mail server

Hi, I have a mail server with limited space and operating system is sun solaris 8 (sparc). I do not have provisions to increase the space for home directory. So i have to delete files from /home/username/mail/trash which are more than 10 days old automatically. So my script should be like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crown2100bd
1 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

unix executable file problem on MAC OSX ??? please help

I've got this problem. My computers and external hard drives are converting many of my files to a Unix Executable File which has a grey terminal looking icon. I don't understand what is causing this to happen. It is happening to a large number of my image file of different formats and also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chadb
1 Replies

4. Linux

Emptying Trash

Hi all i hope someone can help me, in gnome if you right click on trash, you get another menu appear 'Empty Trash' what i want to do is be able to edit this command so that it secure deletes the trash, where is that command? so i can edit it. thanks in advance for any help, Dave (shred -z -u ) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave123
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trash

Hello, I deleted a file accidentally using rm-f inside a folder. Is there any option/command to retrive the file or is it possible to recover from trash? or once the file is deleted, it is gone completely?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sydney2008
2 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Delete restore and empty trash

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: A set of Linux shell scripts is required to allow users to ‘remove' files without them really disappearing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mr100perecent
1 Replies

7. Solaris

trash can in solaris

one quick question please.. is Solaris have a RECYLE BIN,or TRASH to retrive deleted files accidently ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sojourner
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Locking with fcntl on Darwin Mac OSX

Hello I have a Perl script that works on non-darwin Mac OS X environments and I think I have narrowed down the issue to a file locking problem. In other linux environments, the flock struct is defined differently. I have adjusted this via the reference for Mac OS X fcntl(2) man page. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: flagman5
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

XFCE Desktop - trash, cannot execute file, command prompt here missing.

Hi there, I am using the xfce4 is already the newest version (4.12.5). thunar is already the newest version (1.8.4-1). The distribution is Linux kali 4.19.0-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.13-1kali1 (2019-01-03) x86_64 GNU/Linux However, the problem is: When I when I click on any program to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
2 Replies
rmf(1mh)																  rmf(1mh)

Name
       rmf - remove folder

Syntax
       rmf [ +folder ] [ -help ] [ -[no]interactive ]

Description
       The  command  removes all of the messages within the current folder, and then removes the folder itself.  If there are any files within the
       folder which are not part of MH, they are not removed, and an error message is displayed.

You can specify a folder other than the current folder by using the +folder argument.  If you do not specify a folder, and cannot find  the
       current folder, asks you whether you want to delete instead.

If the current folder is removed, it makes current.

Note that the command irreversibly deletes messages that do not have other links, so use it with caution.

If  the folder being removed is a sub-folder, the parent folder becomes the new current folder, and tells you that this has happened.  This
       provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list  and  returning  to  the  current
       folder from which the list was extracted.

Using to delete a read-only folder deletes the private sequence and current message information from the file, without affecting the folder
       itself.	If you have sub-folders within a folder, you must delete all the sub-folders before you can delete the folder itself.

Options
       -help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

-interactive
       -nointeractive
		 Asks for confirmation before deleting a folder.  By default, deletes a folder and its messages without asking	for  confirmation.
		 If  you  specify  the	-interactive option, asks if you are sure before deleting the folder.  You are advised to use this option,
		 since when deletes a folder its contents are lost irretrievably.

Examples
       This example shows how asks for confirmation when the -interactive option is used:
       % rmf -interactive +test
       Remove folder "test"? y

Profile Components
       Path:   To determine the user's Mail directory

Files
       The user profile.

See Also
       rmm(1mh)

rmf(1mh)