Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to search field2 in file2 using range of fields file1 and using match to another field in file1 Post 302988220 by Don Cragun on Thursday 22nd of December 2016 03:15:07 AM
Old 12-22-2016
Try:
Code:
awk '
BEGIN {	FS = OFS = "\t"
}
FNR == NR {
	low[$1, ++c[$1]] = $2
	high[$1, c[$1]] = $3
	data[$1, c[$1]] = $NF
	next
}
{	for(i = 1; i <= c[$1]; i++)
		if($2 >= low[$1, i] && $2 <= high[$1, i]) {
			print $0, data[$1, i]
			next
		}
}' file1 file2

This obviously won't work with the sample data you provided (since your sample data contains varying numbers of spaces as field separators, not tabs; and are not aligned on normal tab stop boundaries), but works fine with the data you provided if we 1st change each sequence of one or more spaces in your sample files to a single tab character.

As always, if you want to try this on a Solaris/SunOS system, change awk to /usr/xpg4/bin/awk or nawk.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

match value from file1 in file2

Hi, i've two files (file1, file2) i want to take value (in column1) and search in file2 if the they match print the value from file2. this is what i have so far. awk 'FILENAME=="file1"{ arr=$1 } FILENAME=="file2" {print $0} ' file1 file2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: myguess21
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed search lines in file1 matching columns in file2

Hi All, as you can see I'm pretty new to this board. :D I'm struggling around with small script to search a few fields in another file. Basically I have file1 looking like this: 15:38:28 sz:10001 pr:14.16 15:38:28 sz:10002 pr:18.41 15:38:29 sz:10003 pr:19.28 15:38:30 sz:10004... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: floripoint
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & replace fields from file1 to file2

hi, I have two xml files with the name source.xml and tobe_replaced.xml. Sample data: source.xml contains: <?xml version="1.0"?> <product description="prod1" product_info="some/info"> <product description="prod2" product_info="xyz/allinfo"> <product description="abc/partialinfo"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragon.1431
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Pattern match between 2 files, then compare a field in file1 as > or < field in file2

First, thanks for the help in previous posts... couldn't have gotten where I am now without it! So here is what I have, I use AWK to match $1 and $2 as 1 string in file1 to $1 and $2 as 1 string in file2. Now I'm wondering if I can extend this AWK command to incorporate the following: If $1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match one column of file1 with that of file2

Hi, I have file1 like this aaa ggg ddd vvv eeeand file2 aaa 2 aaa 443 xxx 76 aaa 34 ggg 33 wee 99 ggg 33 ddd 1 ddd 10 ddd 98 sds 23 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: polsum
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if matching strings in file1 and file2, add column from file1 to file2

I have very limited coding skills but I'm wondering if someone could help me with this. There are many threads about matching strings in two files, but I have no idea how to add a column from one file to another based on a matching string. I'm looking to match column1 in file1 to the number... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retreive the records from file2 by using the first field in file1

Hi Freinds, i have a file1 as below file1 1|ndmf|fdd|d3484|34874 2|jdehf|wru7|478|w489 3|dfkj|wej|484|49894 file2 contains lakhs of records and not in sorted order i want to retrive only the records from file2 by searcing the first field of file 1 i used grep ^1 file2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare file1 and file2, print matching lines in same order as file1

I want to print only the lines in file2 that match file1, in the same order as they appear in file 1 file1 file2 desired output: I'm getting the lines to match awk 'FNR==NR {a++}; FNR!=NR && a' file1 file2 but they are in sorted order, which is not what I want: Can anyone... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update field in file2 if not the same as file1

Trying to use awk to: update $2 in file2 with the $2 value in file1, if $1 in file1 matches $13 in file2, which is tab-delimeted. The $2values may already be the same so in that case nothing happens and the next line is processed. There are exactly 4,605 unique $13 values. Thank you :). ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update field using matching value in file1 and substring in field in file2

In the awk below I am trying to set/update the value of $14 in file2 in bold, using the matching NM_ in $12 or $9 in file2 with the NM_ in $2 of file1. The lengths of $9 and $12 can be variable but what is consistent is the start pattern will always be NM_ and the end pattern is always ;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If one of the file names is the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Input fields are normally separated spaces or tabs; output fields by space. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are discarded. The following options are recognized, with POSIX syntax. -a n In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -v n Like -a, omitting output for paired lines. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -1 m -2 m Join on the mth field of file1 or file2. -jn m Archaic equivalent for -n m. -ofields Each output line comprises the designated fields. The comma-separated field designators are either 0, meaning the join field, or have the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. Archaic usage allows separate arguments for field designators. -tc Use character c as the only separator (tab character) on input and output. Every appearance of c in a line is significant. EXAMPLES
sort /adm/users | join -t: -a 1 -e "" - bdays Add birthdays to password information, leaving unknown birthdays empty. The layout of is given in users(6); bdays contains sorted lines like tr : ' ' </adm/users | sort -k 3 3 >temp join -1 3 -2 3 -o 1.1,2.1 temp temp | awk '$1 < $2' Print all pairs of users with identical userids. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/join.c SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b -ky,y; with -t, the sequence is that of sort -tx -ky,y. One of the files must be randomly accessible. JOIN(1)