Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Use portion of file name as new file name Post 302988105 by Raul_Rodriguez on Tuesday 20th of December 2016 11:45:45 AM
Old 12-20-2016
RudiC, I guess I am having problems following directions. If I use the code as is I get this results:
Code:
Raul@Raul-PC ~
$ {TMP = FILENAME
-bash: {TMP: command not found

Raul@Raul-PC ~
$          sub (/\.*$/, "", TMP)
-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `/\.*$/,'

Raul@Raul-PC ~
$          print "a_" TMP "_ACTUAL_"months[substr($3,0,3)]"20" substr($3,5,2)"_RR.txt"
-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

Raul@Raul-PC ~
$         }'

If I add it to the existing code, replacing what I have the new code looks like this:
Code:
awk -F, 'BEGIN {months ["JAN"]="AP01"; months ["FEB"]="AP02"; months ["MAR"]="AP03"; 
months ["APR"]="AP04"; months ["MAY"]="AP05"; months ["JUN"]="AP06"; 
months ["JUL"]="AP07"; months ["AUG"]="AP08"; months ["SEP"]="AP09"; 
months ["OCT"]="AP10"; months ["NOV"]="AP11"; months ["DEC"]="AP12";}
{TMP = FILENAME
         sub (/\.*$/, "", TMP)
         print "a_" TMP "_ACTUAL_"months[substr($3,0,3)]"20" substr($3,5,2)"_RR.txt"
        }'

The result looks like this:
Code:
Raul@Raul-PC ~
$ Raul@Raul-PC ~
> months ["JUL"]="AP07"; months ["AUG"]="AP08"; months ["SEP"]="AP09";
> months ["OCT"]="AP10"; months ["NOV"]="AP11"; months ["DEC"]="AP12";}
> {TMP = FILENAME
>          sub (/\.*$/, "", TMP)
>          print "a_" TMP "_ACTUAL_"months[substr($3,0,3)]"20" substr($3,5,2)"_RR.txt"
>         }'-bash: Raul@Raul-PC: command not found

Raul@Raul-PC ~
$ $ awk -F, 'BEGIN {months ["JAN"]="AP01"; months ["FEB"]="AP02"; months ["MAR"]="AP03";
> > months ["APR"]="AP04"; months ["MAY"]="AP05"; months ["JUN"]="AP06";
> > months ["JUL"]="AP07"; months ["AUG"]="AP08"; months ["SEP"]="AP09";
> > months ["OCT"]="AP10"; months ["NOV"]="AP11"; months ["DEC"]="AP12";}
> > {TMP = FILENAME
> >          sub (/\.*$/, "", TMP)
> >          print "a_" TMP "_ACTUAL_"months[substr($3,0,3)]"20" substr($3,5,2)"_RR.txt"
> >         }'

So I am stuckSmilie because as you said I don't know what I am doing, that I why attempted to correct by removing and adding instructions such as the
Code:
*.txt

at the end of the instructions and changing the position of the curly brackets. I do appreciate your efforts. I am just lost

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove portion of file

Can anyone tell me how to remove a portion of a large file to smaller ones? What I have is a large file that was created becasue several similar files were joined together. Each individual file starts with MSG_HEAD. I want to take everything from MSG_HEAD up to were it says MSG_HEAD again and... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: methos
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate a portion of text file into another file

Hi, I have my input as follows : I have given two entries- From system Mon Aug 1 23:52:47 2005 Source !100000006!: Impact !100000005!: High Status ! 7!: New Last Name+!100000001!: First Name+ !100000003!: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth_ksv
4 Replies

3. Programming

Delete Portion of a file

hi i would like to know whether i can delete a part of a file in C for eg. if my file contained 1234567890 and i want to delete 456 so that it becomes 1237890 is there a way i can do this. well, one way i can achieve this is by creating a new file, copy whatever i want, then delete the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameersbn
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print a portion of file

Hi, I have a little problem. I am having a file with pattern like : asdf;ffgg;dfjfj;djdfjf;nnjj;djd;ssj; I just want to print the portion from last ";" upto the immediate previous ";". There are several ";" in my line. Please help me out... Thnx in advance (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanand420
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep certain portion from the file

Dear Friends, Here I am with another difficulty. I have a flat file from which I wanna grep following pattern. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Statement Date : Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Portion of a file in a new files

Hi, I need to devide one file into 3 files based on column numbers and put a string (FILE1, FILE2, FILE3) in the last..... Input file: Column1,Column2,Column3,Column4,Column5,Column6,Column7,Column8,Column9,Column10 Output1: Column1,Column3,Column6,Column4,Column5,FILE1 Output2:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yale_work
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename portion of file based on another file

Hello, I've been searching and reading, but I can't figure out how to solve this problem with my newbie skills. In my directory, I have a list of files (see dirlist.txt attachment) that I need to merge and rename. I have part of the code of the code figured out (see below). However, I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjulka
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Removing portion of file name

Hi , I am getting file name like ABC_DATA_CUSTIOMERS_20120617.dat ABC_DATA_PRODUCTS_20120617.dat Need to convert CUSTIOMERS.dat PRODUCTS.dat Help me how to do this. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reach_malu
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Scripting : Sort a Portion of a File and not the complete file

Need to sort a portion of a file in a Alphabetical Order. Example : The user adam is not sorted and the user should get sorted. I don't want the complete file to get sorted. Currently All_users.txt contains the following lines. ############## # ARS USERS ############## mike, Mike... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: evrurs
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to append portion of a file content to another file when a certain pattern is matching?

Hi ladies and gentleman.. I have two text file with me. I need to replace one of the file content to another file if one both files have a matching pattern. Example: text1.txt: ABCD 1234567,HELLO_WORLDA,HELLO_WORLDB DCBA 3456789,HELLO_WORLDE,HELLO_WORLDF text2.txt: XXXX,ABCD... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: bananamen
25 Replies