Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to delete line from file using sed command? Post 302988057 by ghpradeep on Tuesday 20th of December 2016 04:45:39 AM
Old 12-20-2016
Thanks @balajesuri its working on.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete line in file with sed

sed "/$titlesearch/d" movielist will delete any line in the file movielist that matches $titlesearch, but this is only a screen print correct ? how can I have sed to actually delete the line from the file so that it doesnt appear next time I open the file ? thanks Steffen (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: forever_49ers
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED delete only first line command - Help need

Can any one help me how the sed delete only first line command (D) works. sed -f sedcmds File.txt In this how the sed delete only first line command (D) works to delete the blank lines appearing more than ones leaving only one blank and deleting others blanks. While doing step by step when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete a line between selected lines using sed or any other command

I want to delete a line between selected lines using sed: e.g. : Between "bus" to "pins", delete lines conaining "signal" word. Input : bus direction signal new signal old pins signal ok end Desired Output: bus direction pins signal end (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to delete line

HI, Im using the below commmand to delete lines having "(" at the start of a line. sed -e '/^(/d' But i need a command to delete lines that has only "(" in it and no other strings. infile - asdf asdf ( asdf ( asd outfile (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dvah
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete the line with a particular string in a file using sed command.

Hello, I want to delete all lines with given string in file1 and the string val is dynamic. Can this be done using sed command. Sample: vars="test twinning yellow" for i in $vars do grep $i file1 if then echo "Do Nothing" else sed `/$i/d` file1 fi done Using the above... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: PrasadAruna
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to delete everything after > on line

I have a large data file that I need to edit. There are lines like, > <IDNUMBER> (ST000002) > <SUPPLIER> (ST000002) > <IDNUMBER> (ST000004) > <SUPPLIER> (ST000004) and I need to delete everything after the >, excepting the end of line. > <IDNUMBER> > <SUPPLIER> > <IDNUMBER> > ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to delete selected line from file

Ultimate goal is to delete lines from before and after a block of lines in a given file. First attempt was something like this: sed -e '1,/STARTUP/ d' inputfile.txt > outputfile.txt but that deleted everything down to and including the line with STARTUP. I need to delete everything before... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to grep multiple pattern present in single line and delete that line

here is what i want to achieve.. i have a file with below contents cat fileName blah blah blah . .DROP this REJECT that . --sport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable --dport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable . . . more blah blah blah --dport 3306... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to delete a pattern in a file

Hi Everyone, I have an unusual requirement. Here is where i am stuck for sometime now... I have this text file.. lets say .. output.sql... it has lot of entries... here below is part of the entry... .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe. Is it possible to replace a whole line piped from someother command into a file at paritcular line... here is some basic execution flow.. the line number is 412 lineNo=412 Now i have a line... (1 Reply)
1 Replies
CD(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     CD(1)

NAME
cd -- change working directory SYNOPSIS
cd directory DESCRIPTION
Directory is an absolute or relative pathname which becomes the new working directory. The interpretation of a relative pathname by cd depends on the CDPATH environment variable (see below). ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variables affect the execution of cd: CDPATH If the directory operand does not begin with a slash (/) character, and the first component is not dot (.) or dot-dot (..), cd searches for the directory relative to each directory named in the CDPATH variable, in the order listed. The new working directory is set to the first matching directory found. An empty string in place of a directory pathname represents the current directory. If the new working directory was derived from CDPATH, it will be printed to the standard output. HOME If cd is invoked without arguments and the HOME environment variable exists and contains a directory name, that directory becomes the new working directory. See csh(1) for more information on environment variables. The cd utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
csh(1), pwd(1), sh(1), chdir(2) STANDARDS
The cd command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
June 5, 1993 BSD