Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do i sort lines lexigraphical in bash? Post 302987976 by kidi on Monday 19th of December 2016 08:50:04 AM
Old 12-19-2016
How do i sort lines lexigraphical in bash?

I am currently having some problems with my script not sorting my files lexiographically.

The error seem to be localized here where i sort the utt2spk file, which is done like this..

Code:
    for x in test train; do
            for f in text utt2spk; do
                sort data/$x/$f -o data/$x/$f
            done
    done

The problem with this for - loop is that it doesn't sort the numbers correctly. In this case i am having the text

Code:
    fkdo-b-cen6 fkdo
    fkdo-b-cen7 fkdo
    fkdo-b-cen8 fkdo
    flrp-b-an2121 flrp
    flrp-b-an21 flrp
    flrp-b-an22 flrp
    flrp-b-an23 flrp
    flrp-b-an24 flrp
    flrp-b-an25 flrp
    flrp-b-cen1 flrp

which should have been

Code:
    fkdo-b-cen6 fkdo
    fkdo-b-cen7 fkdo
    fkdo-b-cen8 fkdo
    flrp-b-an21 flrp
    flrp-b-an22 flrp
    flrp-b-an23 flrp
    flrp-b-an24 flrp
    flrp-b-an25 flrp
    flrp-b-an2121 flrp
    flrp-b-cen1 flrp

So why isn't it sorting it correctly?, and how does I make it sort correctly?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort (bash command)

I did a search on this, and found lots on SORT but no answer to my question. I have a C program that fetches all of our users from Netware, and I have that it makes a file that I later include in a html as a select tag drop-down menu. Here is what 1 line looks like: <option... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: booboo
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort decimal values in bash

Hi, I have a list of values from associative array from 0,..till 1.0000. I tried various sort options; sort -g, sort -nr but it still couldnt work. In other words, the numbers are not sorted accordingly. Please help. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help to sort text lines

I need to sort input file as below to display as below: input.txt User: my_id File: oracle/scripts/ssc/ssc_db_info User: your_id File: pkg_files/BWSwsrms/request User: your_id File: pkg_files/BWSwsco/checkConfig.sh OUTPUT: User: my_id File: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tqlam
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: Sort four lines based on first line

I am in the process of sorting an AutoHotkey script's contents so as to make it easier for me to find and view its nearly 200 buzzwords (when I forget which one corresponds with what phrase, which I do now and then). About half to two-thirds of the script's key phrases correspond to locations... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep from 3 lines and sort

Pseudo name=hdiskpower54 Symmetrix ID=000190101757 Logical device ID=0601 state=alive; policy=SymmOpt; priority=0; queued-IOs=0 ============================================================================== ---------------- Host --------------- - Stor - -- I/O Path - -- Stats --- ### HW... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - remove duplicates without sort

I need to use bash to remove duplicates without using sort first. I can not use: cat file | sort | uniq But when I use only cat file | uniq some duplicates are not removed. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash script to sort files

I've got a disorganized list of items and quantities for each. I've been using a combination of grep and sort to find out how much to buy of each item. I'm tired of having to constantly using these commands so I've been trying to write a shell script to make it easier, but I can't figure out how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PTcharger
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort lines according words?

Hello I greped some lines from an xml file and generated a new file. but some entries are missing my table is unsorted. e.g. NAME="Adel" ADDRESS="Donaustr." NUMBER="2" POSTCODE="33333" NAME="Adel" ADDRESS="Donaustr." NUMBER="2" POSTCODE="33333" NAME="Adel" NUMBER="2" POSTCODE="33333"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: witchblade
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk - (URGENT!) Print lines sort and move lines if match found

URGENT HELP IS NEEDED!! I am looking to move matching lines (01 - 07) from File1 and 77 tab the matching string from File2, to File3.txt. I am almost done but - Currently, script is not printing lines to File3.txt in order. - Also the matching lines are not moving out of File1.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: High-T
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to sort file with certain criteria (bash)?

I am running a command that is part of a script and this is what I am getting when it is sorted by the command: command: ls /tmp/test/*NDMP*.z /tmp/test/CARS-GOLD-NET_CHROMJOB-01-XZ-ARCHIVE-NDMP.z /tmp/test/CARS-GOLD-NET_CHROMJOB-01-XZ-NDMP.z... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
2 Replies
IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		      IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream(3pm)

NAME
"IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream" - stream-based protocols using lines of text SYNOPSIS
Most likely this class will be subclassed to implement a particular network protocol. package Net::Async::HelloWorld; use strict; use warnings; use base qw( IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream ); sub on_read_line { my $self = shift; my ( $line ) = @_; if( $line =~ m/^HELLO (.*)/ ) { my $name = $1; $self->invoke_event( on_hello => $name ); } } sub send_hello { my $self = shift; my ( $name ) = @_; $self->write_line( "HELLO $name" ); } This small example elides such details as error handling, which a real protocol implementation would be likely to contain. DESCRIPTION
EVENTS
The following events are invoked, either using subclass methods or CODE references in parameters: on_read_line $line Invoked when a new complete line of input is received. PARAMETERS
The following named parameters may be passed to "new" or "configure": on_read_line => CODE CODE reference for the "on_read_line" event. METHODS
$lineprotocol->write_line( $text ) Writes a line of text to the transport stream. The text will have the end-of-line marker appended to it; $text should not end with it. AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2012-10-24 IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream(3pm)