Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Filesystem pattern match in awk Post 302987916 by sam_bd on Sunday 18th of December 2016 06:44:12 AM
Old 12-18-2016
sorry for delay. Ravinder: yes, your suggested code did work; Thank you.
M.i.Germany: ps -eaf | grep '[A]pplnName' | awk 'index($0,"/opt/xxx/yyy")' worked for me. Thank you.
RudiC: your suggestion did work for me. Learnt a new awk thing regarding selecting processes. Thank you.

---------- Post updated at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:00 PM ----------

but one thing i'm not clear is the option -x which shows command line in extended format for the "ps" command. I saw an "-x" added to "ps" command in another script. I just added "-x" to the code suggested above by you all. And i got the exact count (11) of the processes for that ApplnName. If i didn't add "-x", i am getting the correct output but with 3 other processes missed. Not clear what difference "-x" made? I did go thru the 'man' page of 'ps' command and got to know that '-x' shows command line in extended format. But not very clear about it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do i pattern match a field with awk?

hi, let's say $numbers = "324 350 587" an so on... what i'm trying to do is this: awk -v numbers="$numbers" '{if (numbers ~ /$2/) print $0, "bla bla"}' file # file looks like this: 214 ..... 215 ... 216 .... 250 ... 324 325 ... 350 something ... ... 587 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: someone123
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to pattern match using awk

Hello Friends, My script gives an output like below:- but i only want the red part to be displayed. how to i do that. I am enclosing my shell script after that. id='CCRCWebServerINSTALLDIR' id='AdministrationTools-CINSTALLDIR' id='AdministrationTools-ent-CINSTALLDIR'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asirohi
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use to awk to match pattern, and print the pattern

Hi, I know how to use awk to search some expressions like five consecutive numbers, , this is easy. However, how do I make awk print the pattern that is been matched? For example: input: usa,canada99292,japan222,france59664,egypt223 output:99292,59664 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: grossgermany
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk -repeated pattern match

Hi. How can I write this differently: awk '$3 ~ /0001/{print}' Is there a way to write 0001 differently. I am looking for the pattern 01, with 3 or more 0 and 3 or more 1 in a pattern. Thanks. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: danieladna
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern match .com in awk script

guys ! I want to search .com,.html files ..... how do I match pattern...? here's wht I hv written if ( $i ~ /.com/ ) even escaping it doesn't help if ( $i ~ /\.com/ ) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shreeprabha
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK match $1 $2 pattern in file 1 to $1 $2 pattern in file2

Hi, I have 2 files that I have modified to basically match each other, however I want to determine what (if any) line in file 1 does not exist in file 2. I need to match column $1 and $2 as a single string in file1 to $1 and $2 in file2 as these two columns create a match. I'm stuck in an AWK... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to match a pattern and perform a search after the first pattern

Hello Guyz I have been following this forum for a while and the solutions provided are super useful. I currently have a scenario where i need to search for a pattern and start searching by keeping the first pattern as a baseline ABC DEF LMN EFG HIJ LMN OPQ In the above text i need to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RickCharles
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Pattern Match One File to Another

I want to read from file 1 and pattern match in file two and print field two from the next line. File 1: user1 user2 user3 File 2: name=user1 gud=12345 name=user2 gud=32456 I have this pattern hardcoded but can't work out how to pass file 1 to the pattern match: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: u20sr
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern match with awk/sed - help

I need to grep for the pattern text inside the square brackets which are in red and not in green..my current code greps patterns both of them, which i don't want Input fileref|XP_002371341.1| oxoacyl-ACP reductase, putative gb|EPT24759.1| 3-ketoacyl-(acyl-carrier-protein) reductase ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvankj
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine lines from line with pattern match to a line that ends in a pattern

I am trying to combine lines with these conditions: 1. First line starts with text of "libname VALUE db2 datasrc" where VALUE can be any text. 2. If condition1 is met then continue to combine lines through a line that ends with a semicolon. 3. Ignore case when matching patterns and remove any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wes Kem
5 Replies
clear(1)						      General Commands Manual							  clear(1)

NAME
clear - clear the terminal screen SYNOPSIS
clear [-Ttype] [-V] [-x] DESCRIPTION
clear clears your screen if this is possible, including its scrollback buffer (if the extended "E3" capability is defined). clear looks in the environment for the terminal type given by the environment variable TERM, and then in the terminfo database to determine how to clear the screen. clear writes to the standard output. You can redirect the standard output to a file (which prevents clear from actually clearing the screen), and later cat the file to the screen, clearing it at that point. OPTIONS
-T type indicates the type of terminal. Normally this option is unnecessary, because the default is taken from the environment variable TERM. If -T is specified, then the shell variables LINES and COLUMNS will also be ignored. -V reports the version of ncurses which was used in this program, and exits. The options are as follows: -x do not attempt to clear the terminal's scrollback buffer using the extended "E3" capability. HISTORY
A clear command appeared in 2.79BSD dated February 24, 1979. Later that was provided in Unix 8th edition (1985). AT&T adapted a different BSD program (tset) to make a new command (tput), and used this to replace the clear command with a shell script which calls tput clear, e.g., /usr/bin/tput ${1:+-T$1} clear 2> /dev/null exit In 1989, when Keith Bostic revised the BSD tput command to make it similar to the AT&T tput, he added a shell script for the clear command: exec tput clear The remainder of the script in each case is a copyright notice. The ncurses clear command began in 1995 by adapting the original BSD clear command (with terminfo, of course). The E3 extension came later: o In June 1999, xterm provided an extension to the standard control sequence for clearing the screen. Rather than clearing just the vis- ible part of the screen using printf '33[2J' one could clear the scrollback using printf '33[3J' This is documented in XTerm Control Sequences as a feature originating with xterm. o A few other terminal developers adopted the feature, e.g., PuTTY in 2006. o In April 2011, a Red Hat developer submitted a patch to the Linux kernel, modifying its console driver to do the same thing. The Linux change, part of the 3.0 release, did not mention xterm, although it was cited in the Red Hat bug report (#683733) which led to the change. o Again, a few other terminal developers adopted the feature. But the next relevant step was a change to the clear program in 2013 to incorporate this extension. o In 2013, the E3 extension was overlooked in tput with the "clear" parameter. That was addressed in 2016 by reorganizing tput to share its logic with clear and tset. PORTABILITY
Neither IEEE Std 1003.1/The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 7 (POSIX.1-2008) nor X/Open Curses Issue 7 documents tset or reset. The latter documents tput, which could be used to replace this utility either via a shell script or by an alias (such as a symbolic link) to run tput as clear. SEE ALSO
tput(1), terminfo(5) This describes ncurses version 6.1 (patch 20180127). clear(1)