Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove first 2 characters and last two characters of each line Post 302987908 by RavinderSingh13 on Sunday 18th of December 2016 12:16:16 AM
Old 12-18-2016
Hello SkySmart,

Could you please try following and let me know how it goes then, though I am not sure about your complete requirement.
Code:
cat script.ksh 
FIRST_TWO=$(awk '{Q=Q?Q "@@" substr($0,1,2):substr($0,1,2)} END{print Q}' file1)
LAST_TWO_CHAR=$(awk '{Q=Q?Q "@@" substr($0,length($0)-1,2):substr($0,length($0)-1,2)} END{print Q}' file1)
REST_CHAR=$(awk '{Q=Q?Q "@@" substr($0,3,length($0)-4):substr($0,3,length($0)-4)} END{print Q}' file1)

echo "Separate ones:"
echo "First 2 chars of each line: " $FIRST_TWO
echo "Last 2 chars of each line: " $LAST_TWO_CHAR
echo "Lines without first 2 chars and last 2 chars:" "$REST_CHAR"

echo "combining the lines again here..."
awk -vfirst_two="$FIRST_TWO" -vlast_two_char="$LAST_TWO_CHAR" -vrest_char="$REST_CHAR" 'BEGIN{num=split(first_two, A,"@@");split(last_two_char, B,"@@");split(rest_char, C,"@@");for(i=1;i<=num;i++){print A[i] C[i] B[i]}}'

So when we are running the script then following will be the output.
Code:
./script.ksh 
Separate ones:
First 2 chars of each line:  1h@@1l@@19@@1w@@22@@ZG@@66
Last 2 chars of each line:  RU@@5k@@5S@@Rq@@kw@@FV@@Ft
Lines without first 2 chars and last 2 chars: sRmRsbHRiSFZNTTA1dlEyMWFkbU5wUW5CSlIyeDFTVU5SYjJOSFRuWmpia0ZuWXpKV2FHTn@@KUnpWMldrZFZaMG95V25oYQpSelEyWTBka2QyRklhSHBrUjA1b1kwUkJkd3BOVXpWM1lVaG@@5Um5kaFZ6VnFURzFPZG1KVFFsQlZhVUp0WTFkU2RVOXVRbTVqClIyZzBZek5TYWxsWVFYZE@@xWTBkb05FeHRaR2hqUjJ4MVdYazFhbUl5TUdkVU1VbG5DbHB1Um10aWFuQjNXak5DYjJWSV@@oKTWtaM1RVUkJla3h1UW05bFF6VnVXVmhDY0dKdFRYVlpNamwwU1VVNVUwbEhXbmhhUnpRMl@@tkMkZJYUhwa1IwNW9ZMFJCZDA1RApOWGNLWVVobmRWb3lSbmRoVnpWcVRHMU9kbUpUUWxCVm@@qRZMWRTZFU5dVFtNWpSMmcwWXpOU2FsbFlRWGROUkZWMVkwZG9ORXh0ClpHaGpSMngxV1hrMW
combining the lines again here...
1hsRmRsbHRiSFZNTTA1dlEyMWFkbU5wUW5CSlIyeDFTVU5SYjJOSFRuWmpia0ZuWXpKV2FHTnRU
1lKUnpWMldrZFZaMG95V25oYQpSelEyWTBka2QyRklhSHBrUjA1b1kwUkJkd3BOVXpWM1lVaG5k
195Um5kaFZ6VnFURzFPZG1KVFFsQlZhVUp0WTFkU2RVOXVRbTVqClIyZzBZek5TYWxsWVFYZE5S
1wxWTBkb05FeHRaR2hqUjJ4MVdYazFhbUl5TUdkVU1VbG5DbHB1Um10aWFuQjNXak5DYjJWSVRq
22oKTWtaM1RVUkJla3h1UW05bFF6VnVXVmhDY0dKdFRYVlpNamwwU1VVNVUwbEhXbmhhUnpRMlkw
ZGtkMkZJYUhwa1IwNW9ZMFJCZDA1RApOWGNLWVVobmRWb3lSbmRoVnpWcVRHMU9kbUpUUWxCVmFV
66qRZMWRTZFU5dVFtNWpSMmcwWXpOU2FsbFlRWGROUkZWMVkwZG9ORXh0ClpHaGpSMngxV1hrMWFt

This is just an example where you could use the first 2 characters, last 2 characters and rest of the line without them in a script itself rather than saving them into files. If you have more requirements then kindly do let us know on same.

Thanks,
R. Singh
This User Gave Thanks to RavinderSingh13 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to remove line greater then 3000 characters.

I am using awk and it stops when it encounter line greater then 3000 character. Is there any command which will help me remove line greater then 3000 characters. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: naren_14
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed remove last 10 characters of a line start from 3rd line

hello experts, I need a sed command that remove last 10 characters of a line start from 3rd line. any suggestions? Thanks you (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: minifish
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remove characters from line

Hello, I have multiple lines in a file, each of which will have data that looks like this: xxxxxyyyyzzzz4abcdXYZXYZXYZ pqrstPQRST2cdPQRSTPQRST lmnopqr6abcdefgRST.3abc I want to be able to remove the number 4 + the following 4 characters (abcd) in the first line. For the second line,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove special characters from each line?

Hello, Is there a simpler way to remove special characters (color codes) from each lines in a log file? I use sed like in the example below but I think there should be a more simple way to achieve the same result: $ cat -vet file1 ^, , , , Maybe to convert the file somehow? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: majormark
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Remove new line characters if found between 1 to 10 columns

Hi, I have a file with ';' delimeter which has some new line characters. How can I delete the new line characters if they are found between 1 to 10 fields. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
3 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Remove new line characters from a file

I tried using below command tr -cd "" < InputFile.xml > output.txt ============= This removes all the tabs/newline/extra spaces from a file it successfully removed all the extra spaces,tabs and new line characters but then the complete file become one record. I want to retain one new line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saini
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove first few characters from each line

Hi, I have a file with lines like below. I need to remove first few characters from each line until a date format is found. 05/06/12 20:47:02 GUMGUY@98.192.174.74{42B42A72AC955F5926621273E3A15059.tomcat2}TP-Processor15 LogExchUsage: ERROR: 05/06/12 20:47:02... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove characters from line

I have a the following line 22.152.25.36 - K##### "GET /DGGKE/GetMail.do;jwebsphere=FADFFFGSFGSFGSDGFSDFGSDFGSDF HTTP/1.1" 200 44948 Need a cut command which should give me the below output 22.152.25.36 - K##### "GET /DGGKE/GetMail.do HTTP/1.1" 200 44948 Note: The value of jwebsphere can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: suindar1982
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to remove 1st and last two characters of each line of the file

I want to remove 1st and last two characters of each line of the file Ex: file1 zzfile1ee @xfile2:y qfile3>> @ file4yy and redirect to the file called new Basically file will have any charcter including space, spical character... Please help.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell1509
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh: Read line parse characters into variable and remove the line if the date is older than 50 days

I have a test file with the following format, It contains the username_date when the user was locked from the database. $ cat lockedusers.txt TEST1_21062016 TEST2_02122015 TEST3_01032016 TEST4_01042016 I'm writing a ksh script and faced with this difficult scenario for my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: humble_learner
11 Replies
FBB::mlm(3bobcat)                                             OFoldStream manipulator                                            FBB::mlm(3bobcat)

NAME
FBB::mlm - Manipulator modifying left margins of OFoldStream objects SYNOPSIS
#include <bobcat/ofoldstream> or #include <bobcat/ofoldstreambuf> Linking option: -lbobcat DESCRIPTION
The mlm class implements a manipulator that can be inserted into OFoldStream objects to modify the stream's left margin by a requested amount. The request cannot result in a negative left margin value. If a negative left margin would be the arithmetic result of the request then left margin 0 will silently be used. Depending on the tab-setting of the OFoldStream the inserted value represents the number of blank space characters or the number of tab-characters that will be added to the left margin. The request will be processed at the next newline character or std::flush or std::endl manipulator that is inserted into the stream. If a line is still empty once an mlm object and a flush manipulator are inserted into the stream then the new left margin will be effective at the next word inserted into that line (cf., the example section below) A bad_cast exception is thrown when the manipulator is inserted into an ostream that is not using a OFoldStreambuf buffer. NAMESPACE
FBB All constructors, members, operators and manipulators, mentioned in this man-page, are defined in the namespace FBB. INHERITS FROM
- CONSTRUCTOR
o mlm(int addValue): The standard copy constructor is available. MEMBER FUNCTIONS
There are no public or protected member functions in this class. EXAMPLE
#include <iostream> #include <bobcat/ofoldstream> using namespace std; using namespace FBB; int main() { OFoldStream out(cout, 0, 80); out << "hello world (left margin is 0)" << mlm(4) << " " "this uses a 4 character wide left margin " << mlm(-10) << flush << "left margin -6 changed to 0, active on this line "; return 0; } FILES
bobcat/mlm - defines the class interface SEE ALSO
bobcat(7), manipulators(3bobcat), lm(3bobcat), ofoldstream(3bobcat) BUGS
None Reported. DISTRIBUTION FILES
o bobcat_3.01.00-x.dsc: detached signature; o bobcat_3.01.00-x.tar.gz: source archive; o bobcat_3.01.00-x_i386.changes: change log; o libbobcat1_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries; o libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries, headers and manual pages; o http://sourceforge.net/projects/bobcat: public archive location; BOBCAT
Bobcat is an acronym of `Brokken's Own Base Classes And Templates'. COPYRIGHT
This is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). AUTHOR
Frank B. Brokken (f.b.brokken@rug.nl). libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x.tar.gz 2005-2012 FBB::mlm(3bobcat)