Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Modifying text file records, find data in one place in the record and print it elsewhere Post 302987885 by RudiC on Saturday 17th of December 2016 05:18:24 AM
Old 12-17-2016
In case your awk allows for multi char regex record separators, try
Code:
awk 'match ($0, /<name>\n[^\n]*\n/) {printf "%s\n", substr($0, RSTART+7, RLENGTH-7)} 1' RS='\$\$\$\$\n' ORS='$$$$\n' file

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find Duplicate Records in a text file

Hi all pls help me by providing soln for my problem I'm having a text file which contains duplicate records . Example: abc 1000 3452 2463 2343 2176 7654 3452 8765 5643 3452 abc 1000 3452 2463 2343 2176 7654 3452 8765 5643 3452 tas 3420 3562 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: G.Aavudai
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting all records of a file in to one record

I have a file temp.dat. The contents of this file is as follows abcdefgh abcdefgh abcdefgh abcdefgh abcdefgh abcdefgh The multiple records in this file needs to be converted in to a single record. abcdefgh abcdefgh abcdefgh abcdefgh abcdefgh abcdefgh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsriramiyer
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find lines in text file with certain data in first field

Hi all, Sorry for the title, I was unsure how to word my issue. I'll get right to the issue. In my text file, I need to find all lines with the same data in the first field. Then I need to create a file with the matching lines merged into one. So my original file will look something like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rstev39147
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace data in text file with data in same file

OK I will do my best to explain what I need help with. I am trying to format an ldif file so I can import it into Oracle oid. I need the file to look like this example. Keep in mind there are 3000 of these in the file. changetype: modify replace: userpassword dn:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: timothyha22
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find and print the last word of each line from a text file

Can any one help us in finding the the last word of each line from a text file and print it. eg: 1st --> aaa bbbb cccc dddd eeee ffff ee 2nd --> aab ered er fdf ere ww ww f the o/p should be a below. ee f (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveen_sangam
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for a particular string and modifying text within block of data

Hi Forum. Is there a quick way to do the following search/replace within a block of data? I tried to google the solution but didn't really know what to look for. I have the following text file (I want to search for a particular string "s_m_f_acct_txn_daily_a1" and replace the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find x and print its record

Hi all, I have a file containing two fields with 154 rows/records/lines (forgive me, my UNIX terminology is not quite up to par yet). I am trying to read from this list, find a value (lets say 0), then print the record/line/row that value falls on (In this case it would be record/line/row #27)?... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: StudentServitor
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and remove duplicate record and print list

Gents, I needs to delete duplicate values and only get uniq values based in columns 2-27 Always we should keep the last record found... I need to store one clean file and other with the duplicate values removed. Input : S3033.0 7305.01 0 420123.8... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
18 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print matching records and occurences of each record

Hi all , I have two files : dblp.xml with dblp records and itu1.txt with faculty members records. I need to find out how many dblp records are related to the faculty members. More specific: I need to find out which names from itu1.txt are a match in dblp. xml file , print them and show how many... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iori
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find key pattern and print selected lines for each record

Hi, I need help on a complicated file that I am working on. I wanted to extract important info from a very huge file. It is space delimited file. I have hundred thousands of records in this file. An example content of the inputfile as below:- ## ID Ser402 Old; 23... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
2 Replies
Gedcom::Record(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       Gedcom::Record(3pm)

NAME
Gedcom::Record - a module to manipulate Gedcom records Version 1.16 - 24th April 2009 SYNOPSIS
use Gedcom::Record; my $record = tag_record("CHIL", 2); my @records = tag_record("CHIL"); my @recs = $record->record("birth"); my @recs = $record->record("birth", "date"); my $rec = $record->record("birth date"); my $rec = $record->record(["birth", 2], "date"); my @recs = $record->get_record("birth"); my $val = $record->get_value; my @vals = $record->get_value("date"); my @vals = $record->get_value("birth", "date"); my $val = $record->get_value("birth date"); my $val = $record->get_value(["birth", 2], "date"); my $rec = $record->add("birth date", "1 Jan 2000"); my $rec = $record->set("birth date", "2 Jan 2000"); $self->parse($record, $grammar); $record->collect_xrefs($callback); my $xref = $record->resolve_xref($record->{value}); my @famc = $record->resolve $record->get_value("FAMC"); $record->resolve_xrefs($callback); $record->unresolve_xrefs($callback); return 0 unless $record->validate_semantics; $record->normalise_dates($format); $record->renumber($args); print $record->summary, " "; $record->delete_record($sub_record); DESCRIPTION
A selection of subroutines to handle records in a gedcom file. Derived from Gedcom::Item. HASH MEMBERS
Some of the more important hash members are: $record->{new_xref} Used by renumber(). $record->{recursed} Used by renumber(). METHODS
tag_record my $record = tag_record("CHIL", 2); my @records = tag_record("CHIL"); Get specific sub-records from the record. This function is identical to Gedcom::Item::get_item(). The arguments are the name of the tag, and optionally the count. In scalar context, returns the sub-record, or undef if it doesn't exist. In array context, returns all sub-records matching the specified tag. record my @recs = $record->record("birth"); my @recs = $record->record("birth", "date"); my $rec = $record->record("birth date"); my $rec = $record->record(["birth", 2], "date"); my @recs = $record->get_record("birth"); Retrieve a record. The get_record() function is identical to the record() function. In scalar context, record() returns the specified record, or undef if there is none. In list context, record() returns all the specified records. Records may be specified by a list of strings. Each string is either a Gedcom tag or a description. Starting from the first string in the list, specified records are retrieved. Then from those records, records specified by the next string in the list are retrieved. This continues until all strings from the list have been used. In list context, all specified records are retrieved. In scalar context, only the first record is retrieved. If a record other than the first is wanted, then instead of passing a string, a reference to an array containing the string and a count may be passed. Instead of specifying a list of strings, it is possible to specify a single space separated string. This can make the interface nicer. get_value my $val = $record->get_value; my @vals = $record->get_value("date"); my @vals = $record->get_value("birth", "date"); my $val = $record->get_value("birth date"); my $val = $record->get_value(["birth", 2], "date"); Retrieve a record's value. If arguments are specified, record() is first called with those arguments, and the values of those records are returned. add my $rec = $record->add("birth date", "1 Jan 2000"); Add a new record. Add a new record ($rec) as a sub-item of $record. Set its value to the last argument given. The first arguments may be specified as for record(). A new record will always be created for the last argument, and for any arguments for which the count is explicitly set to zero. If the new record does not take a value then do not supply one. This does mean that you cannot use the function with many arguments if the last one is a scalar, but not a value. In this case either specify the last argument as ["arg", 0], or add undef as the last argument. set my $rec = $record->set("birth date", "2 Jan 2000"); Set the value of a record. This is the same as add(), with the exception that a new record is not created for the last argument. parse $self->parse($record, $grammar); Parse a Gedcom record. Match a Gedcom::Record against a Gedcom::Grammar. Warn of any mismatches, and associate the Gedcom::Grammar with the Gedcom::Record as $record->{grammar}. Do this recursively. collect_xrefs $record->collect_xrefs($callback); Recursively collect all the xrefs. Called by Gedcom::collect_xrefs. $callback is not used yet. resolve_xref my $xref = $record->resolve_xref($value); See Gedcom::resolve_xrefs() resolve my @famc = $record->resolve $record->tag_value("FAMC"); For each argument, either return it or, if it an xref, return the referenced record. resolve_xrefs $record->resolve_xrefs($callback); See Gedcom::resolve_xrefs() unresolve_xrefs $record->unresolve_xrefs($callback); See Gedcom::unresolve_xrefs() validate_semantics return 0 unless $record->validate_semantics; Validate the semantics of the Gedcom::Record. This performs a number of consistency checks, but could do even more. Returns true iff the Record is valid. normalise_dates $record->normalise_dates($format); Change the format of all dates in the record. See the documentation for Gedcom::normalise_dates renumber $record->renumber($args); Renumber the record. See Gedcom::renumber(). child_value NOTE - This function is deprecated - use tag_value instead. my $child = $record->child_value("NAME"); child_values NOTE - This function is deprecated - use tag_value instead. my @children = $record->child_values("CHIL"); summary print $record->summary, " "; Return a line of text summarising the record. delete_record $record->delete_record($sub_record); Delete the specified sub-record from the record. Access functions All the Gedcom tag names can be used as function names. Depending on the context in which they are called, the functions return either an array of the specified sub-items, or the first specified sub-item. The descriptions of the tags, with spaces replaced by underscores, can also be used as function names. The function names can be of either, or mixed case. Unless you use the tag name, in either case, or the description in lower case, the function will not be pre- declared and you will need to qualify it or "use subs". perl v5.14.2 2012-04-12 Gedcom::Record(3pm)