Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Advice on a backup script, maybe one is out there already? Post 302987475 by newbie_01 on Saturday 10th of December 2016 03:50:56 AM
Old 12-10-2016
Advice on a backup script, maybe one is out there already?

Hi,

Not sure whether this is the right place to post it. I decided to post it here 'coz Advanced and Expert users will most likely have the answer to what I am looking for.

I want to backup scripts that I have access to to a tar file file and zip it. At the moment I am creating a directory that sort of mimic the directory structure that contains the file that I want to backup.

For example, the source directory make look like this:

Code:
/u01/db/mysql
/u01/db/mysql/scripts
/u01/db/mysql/scripts/user01
/u01/db/mysql/scripts/user02
/u01/db/mysql/sql

And at the moment, I am creating a backup directory script that look like below:

Code:
/u02/bak/db/mysql
/u02/bak/db/mysql/scripts
/u02/bak/db/mysql/scripts/user01
/u02/bak/db/mysql/scripts/user02
/u02/bak/db/mysql/sql

I then manually copy the file from each directory, the .sh, .ksh, .sql, .log etc. to each directory, then I do below.

Code:
cd /u02
tar -cvf bak.tar ./bak
gzip bak,tar

As you may have guess, this takes a loooong time Smilie So I am wanting to know if someone can recommend a short process that will more or less give the same result.

In its simplest form, I want to find files of .sh, .ksh, .sql and other file types tar them to a file and gzip the tar file. I only want to find files that I have permission to. Yeah, some of the files are root owned and I do get permission denied when I am doing the cp manually

Kinda hoping that maybe someone had done a similar thing of what I am trying to do, preferably a script. Any advice will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

c-shell script advice please.

Hi, I have the following script running in my cron. -------------------------------------------------------------------- #!/bin/csh bnstat -p GPD_VSLinux | grep pg | grep varcon | awk '{print $1, $2, $3, $4, $5, $6, $7, $8, $9, $10}' > /tmp/LX_xbatch.log bnstat -p GPD_VSLinux_test | grep pg... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: killerserv
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup help/advice using TAR

Every day we back up all files on our system that are older than 7 days, so effectively we do a day's worth at a time. The way we do this is to issue a find command using mtime +7 - we then loop round and for each result we issue a MV to move the file to a newly created directory. We then TAR the... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonysab
20 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

first script. need help and advice.

Hello everyone, This is my first post here and this is the first time I am using UNIX OS (Slackware). I find it really useful and powerful and would like to master it but as you may guess I am expreicing quite a few problems. I've been reading a few documentations about it and bash this week... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanchopansa
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Advice on Script

I would like some advice on how to logically put together a script to handle a daily task of data gathering for the following problem. I have two files, file1 has 125,000 records that I cut and remove unwanted fields through scripts and cron. In file2, I have 25000 records that has the same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greengrass
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Advice please?

Ok. I want to parse a log file and search only for denied traffic for the previous hour. The log looks like this: Jun 18 17:47:56 routername 36806: Jun 18 17:53:01.088: %SEC-6-IPACCESSLOG: list ingress-filter denied tcp 1.2.3.4(1234) -> 6.7.8.9(53), 4 packets I only really care about the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Help/Advice

Alright, I feel like I have a pretty good basic knowledge of shell scripting, but this one is throwing me for a loop. I know I've seen something similar done with awk, but I couldn't find it with the search function. I've grepped through my log file and get results like this: --... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
14 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

an advice regarding backup plan

Hi all i'm looking for good advice regarding backup plan becuase its first time to me handle large scale database expected to grow up 10000 - 20000 record per year with daily operations on it I'm working as sysAdmin in educational organization ( junior level ) with mixed OSes environment... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Advice on script

Hi folks, I use following script:- #!/bin/sh # cd Linbread TODAY=`date +"%m%d"` DATA=`grep $TODAY linbread.dat` HOUR=`date +"%H"` if then TOD="Morning" elif then TOD="Afternoon" else TOD="Evening" fi echo $DATA | gawk -F"|" '{printf("%s\n\n%s",$2,$3)}' > $$tmp fold -s -w60... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script advice

All I have 2 parent directories - input and output. Each parent has multiple sub-directories...each sub-directory has multiple files. Each parent directory structure is a mirror image of itself I need to poll the imput directory and if a new file is found, encrypt the file, move the file to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidra
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Backup Shell Script for Network Device Configuration backup

HI all, im new to shell scripting. need your guidence for my script. i wrote one script and is attached here Im explaining the requirement of script. AIM: Shell script to run automatically as per scheduled and backup few network devices configurations. Script will contain a set of commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
4 Replies
MYSQL_TZINFO_TO_S(1)					       MySQL Database System					      MYSQL_TZINFO_TO_S(1)

NAME
mysql_tzinfo_to_sql - load the time zone tables SYNOPSIS
mysql_tzinfo_to_sql arguments DESCRIPTION
The mysql_tzinfo_to_sql program loads the time zone tables in the mysql database. It is used on systems that have a zoneinfo database (the set of files describing time zones). Examples of such systems are Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, and Mac OS X. One likely location for these files is the /usr/share/zoneinfo directory (/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo on Solaris). If your system does not have a zoneinfo database, you can use the downloadable package described in Section 9.6, "MySQL Server Time Zone Support". mysql_tzinfo_to_sql can be invoked several ways: shell> mysql_tzinfo_to_sql tz_dir shell> mysql_tzinfo_to_sql tz_file tz_name shell> mysql_tzinfo_to_sql --leap tz_file For the first invocation syntax, pass the zoneinfo directory path name to mysql_tzinfo_to_sql and send the output into the mysql program. For example: shell> mysql_tzinfo_to_sql /usr/share/zoneinfo | mysql -u root mysql mysql_tzinfo_to_sql reads your system's time zone files and generates SQL statements from them. mysql processes those statements to load the time zone tables. The second syntax causes mysql_tzinfo_to_sql to load a single time zone file tz_file that corresponds to a time zone name tz_name: shell> mysql_tzinfo_to_sql tz_file tz_name | mysql -u root mysql If your time zone needs to account for leap seconds, invoke mysql_tzinfo_to_sql using the third syntax, which initializes the leap second information. tz_file is the name of your time zone file: shell> mysql_tzinfo_to_sql --leap tz_file | mysql -u root mysql After running mysql_tzinfo_to_sql, it is best to restart the server so that it does not continue to use any previously cached time zone data. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2008 MySQL AB, 2008-2010 Sun Microsystems, Inc. This documentation is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it only under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; version 2 of the License. This documentation is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with the program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA or see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/. SEE ALSO
For more information, please refer to the MySQL Reference Manual, which may already be installed locally and which is also available online at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/. AUTHOR
Sun Microsystems, Inc. (http://www.mysql.com/). MySQL 5.1 04/06/2010 MYSQL_TZINFO_TO_S(1)