Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Masking with gsub command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Masking with gsub command Post 302987324 by RudiC on Thursday 8th of December 2016 06:37:32 AM
Old 12-08-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSKOBS
Code:
awk '{T = $0; gsub("[[:alpha:]]","X"); print substr (T, 1, 7) substr ($0, 8)}' test.dat

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules!
Happy with the result?
Looking back at it, it could be slightly simplified:
Code:
awk '{T = substr ($0,1,7) ; gsub("[[:alpha:]]","X"); print T substr ($0, 8)}' file

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

IP Masking

Is it possible for a internal LAN to mask a IP e.g. i have a server ip running the intranet ip being 192.168.0.8 and i want to make that like www.intranet.com is this possible on a internal network ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perleo
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

reg Mailx command or masking of mailid

I am using the mailx command of Unix through which I am able send mails but the problem is the from mail ID is automatically buit by unix as the (UNIX Box Name:---------------------------------) to mask the from id the option used by mailx is -r but for some security reasons this is blocked by the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naren_chella
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use sed or gsub command

Hi there, I'm trying to write a bash script and I have some difficulties... I have multiple files, which have the following names: file_1.txt file_2.txt ... file_26.txt Within each file there is some information, like: (in the file_1.txt) name of the file: file_name_1_info.hdr (in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: giorgos193
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Masking a column using awk command

Thanks...It was a spoiler for my Team... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diggi
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Data Masking

I have a pipe delimited file that I need to 'mask' to before loading to keep some data confidential. I need to maintain the first 4 bytes of certain columns and replace the remaining bytes with an 'x'. I would like to maintain spaces but it's not a requirement. Example, need to mask columns 2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1superdork
2 Replies

6. Programming

Masking Password with *'s

So I've been working on this for some time now and can't seem to find the solution that works for me. I'm working in C/Unix. Basically, I want to take a user input and output something different. For example, I want to take a password and output *'s. In another instance, I want to take inputed... (35 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigdrock44
35 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with passing Variable from bash to awk gsub command

Would really appreciate it if someone could point out my mistake in this line of code, i've been staring blankly at it trying everything i can think of some time now and coming up with nothing. #!/bin/bash echo "Enter Username" read Username awk -F: -v var=${Username} '/^var:/... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nostyx
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Masking data

How Can I mask one particular columns using some unix command? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsa
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File creation using awk and gsub command

I have input file 04000912|100:|||||]|101:||]|creDate:1451876825000|1441324800000:]|1444003200000:]|1446595200000:]|1449187200000:]|1451865600000:] I have to get output as below ID|Re_Date|Re_Value|Re_date 04000912|100|40.0|44 04000912|100|50.0|55 04000912|100|60.0|66... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shabeena
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk gsub command to replace multiple spaces

Hi Forum. I'm trying to cleanup the following data elements (To remove any occurences of commas and any extra spaces) while preserving the <TAB> delimiter using awk gsub but I have not been successful. Original Data: 4365 monte des source rue,, ,<TAB>trevost<TAB>QC Desired Data:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pchang
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('arevela','alpha'); $lvar = code2langvar('arevela',LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-04-12 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3)