Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep in regex
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Grep in regex Post 302987099 by rbatte1 on Monday 5th of December 2016 07:26:02 AM
Old 12-05-2016
I think you are over-simplifying the issue. I don't think that there is no way for certain to know if names exist with a regular expression. You cannot just assume that the last part of a domain name (the Top Level Domain) is a 2 or three characters only.

List of Internet top-level domains - Wikipedia

You might have to trim out the domain name from the full URL & perform a get to the real site to see if you connect. That might be the only way.
  • There may be a formal list of names of the TLDs
    • Each of those may have a list of valid names below them
          • Each of those may have a list of valid names below them ..............

You can see the problem. The list (if you could even build one) would be huge and would be frequently updating. Perhaps a DNS query would give you enough though.

Code:
host $extracted_domain_name >/dev/null
if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then
   echo "DNS entry exists"
else
   echo "It is an invalid domain"
fi

Does that help?

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

use of regex on grep

having a look on the regex site I saw that characters can be search using hex values http://www.regular-expressions.info/characters.html So I try to use it whith grep to find a è on a string (octal Decimal Hexa : 350 232 E8) but it doesn't work E.g. /usr/bin/echo '\0350' | egrep '\xE8' ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solea
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep regex problem

Hi, I am trying to do something with grep, but for some reason I just can't get it to to work. I am looking for find a match in the second field, the length must be 10 characters and end with 'abc'. The file is in this format: <int><tab><field2> I've tried a few patterns, some work,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iceman
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep with Regex help!

Hello everybody, I'd like to know how is it I should write a regex in unix to match a string not followed by another string (anywhere in the line). To be more specific, I want to find lines where "drop table" is found, but not followed anywhere in the line by the character "&". For... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvalonso
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with grep and regex

Hi all, I'm a beginner with linux, regex, grep, etc I am trying to get data out of a file that has about 13,000 lines in this format name - location I want to grep all the names out to one file and the locations to another so I can put them into a spreadsheet. Some have hyphenated... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: raichlea
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and regex question

basically i have a csv i parse through. a user will supply me with a san switch he/she wants more info about... say the name is "pnj-sansw124" now i can grep out every connection to that switch w/o issue because this sans switch pnj-sansw124 has multiple slots 1-10. and it looks like this in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pupp
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex and grep

I want it to find lines that contain any number of capital letters before P this is what I have tried echo "AAAAAP" | grep 'P' echo "AAAAAP" | grep '\{1\}P' echo "AAAAAP" | grep '^*P' But none of them seem to work, any help is much appreciated thanks Calypso (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Calypso
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1 | advanced regex syntax

Hello, I'm working on unix with grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1. I'm going through some of the newer regex syntax using Regular Expression Reference - Advanced Syntax a guide. ls -aLl /bin | grep "\(x\)" Which works, just highlights 'x' where ever, when ever. I'm trying to to get (?:) to work but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep -v and regex

How to match lines that don't contain a patern in regex it self, without using the -v option of grep? (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
15 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with regex containing one string but not the other

Hi to you all, I'm just struggling with a regex problem and I'm pretty sure that I'm missing sth obvious... :confused: I need a regex to feed my grep in order to find lines that contain one string but not the other. Here's the data example: 2015-04-08 19:04:55,926|xxxxxxxxxx| ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: stresing
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep regex

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a grep command to match the following pattern from a file: <EGS>10234567<EGS> I used this following command to do this: grep -E '^<EGS>{8}<EGS>' test.txt In output I got: <EGS>10234567<EGS> Till now it work, but if I add something at the end of the line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
2 Replies
UPSCLI_LIST_START(3)						    NUT Manual						      UPSCLI_LIST_START(3)

NAME
upscli_list_start - begin multi-item retrieval from a UPS SYNOPSIS
#include <upsclient.h> int upscli_list_start(UPSCONN_t *ups, int numq, const char **query) DESCRIPTION
The upscli_list_start() function takes the pointer ups to a UPSCONN_t state structure, and the pointer query to an array of numq query elements. It builds a properly-formatted request from those elements and transmits it to upsd(8). Upon success, the caller must call upscli_list_next(3) to retrieve the elements of the list. Failure to retrieve the list will most likely result in the client getting out of sync with the server due to buffered data. USES
This function implements the "LIST" command in the protocol. As a result, you can use it to request many different things from the server. Some examples are: o LIST UPS o LIST VAR <ups> o LIST RW <ups> o LIST CMD <ups> o LIST ENUM <ups> <var> o LIST RANGE <ups> <var> QUERY FORMATTING
To see the list of variables on a UPS called su700, the protocol command would be LIST VAR su700. To start that list with this function, you would populate query and numq as follows: int numq; const char *query[2]; query[0] = "VAR"; query[1] = "su700"; numq = 2; All escaping of special characters and quoting of elements with spaces are handled for you inside this function. ERROR CHECKING
This function checks the response from upsd(8) against your query. If it is not starting a list, or is starting the wrong type of list, it will return an error code. When this happens, upscli_upserror(3) will return UPSCLI_ERR_PROTOCOL. RETURN VALUE
The upscli_list_start() function returns 0 on success, or -1 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
upscli_fd(3), upscli_get(3), upscli_readline(3), upscli_sendline(3), upscli_ssl(3), upscli_strerror(3), upscli_upserror(3) Network UPS Tools 05/31/2012 UPSCLI_LIST_START(3)