Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read a lis, find items in a file from the list, change each item Post 302986946 by LMHmedchem on Friday 2nd of December 2016 11:52:59 AM
Old 12-02-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by itkamaraj
Code:
awk 'NF<2{$0="NAME;"$0"\tfailed"}1' incomplete_case_list

Thank you for the suggestion. I don't see the name of the file that I am processing here, just the name of the file with the failed rows. Am I missing something?

The script below works and is pretty fast.
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# file with list of name with incomplete output
incomplete_case_list=$1
# file being processed (replace incomplete rows with modified data)
final_temp1=$2
# output file
final_temp2=$3

# read in fail file and create array of names
while read line; do 

# read tab separated line into array
   unset FIELD;   IFS=$'\t' read -a FIELD <<< "$line"

# add each name to array
   fail_list=("${fail_list[@]}" "${FIELD[0]}")

done < $incomplete_case_list

# flag to avoid second print if line was replaced
replaced='0'

# loop through all rows of file to check for fail names
# check the name for each row against all names in name array, look for match
while read line; do 

# read tab separated line into array
   unset FIELD;   IFS=$'\t' read -a FIELD <<< "$line"

# check current line against each element in array of fail names
   for fail_name in "${fail_list[@]}"
   do

# check name filed (0), if a match is found, print modified line
      if [ "${FIELD[0]}" == "$fail_name" ]; then

# output modified row to next temp file
         echo -e 'NAME;'${FIELD[0]}'\t''failed' >> $final_temp2

# set flag to indicate row has been replaced, don't print again
         replaced='1'
      fi
   done

# if name was not found in the  fail array, print original line
   if [ "$replaced" == '0' ]; then
      echo -e ${FIELD[0]}'\t'${FIELD[1]} >> $final_temp2
   fi
   # reinitialize flag
   replaced='0'

done < $final_temp1

For lines that were printed unchanged, I was going to just echo $line,
Code:
echo -e $line >> final_temp2

This works, but I get space delimited output and not tab. I thought that using echo -e would address that. It is almost like IFS=$'\t' read -a is converting the tabs to spaces when the line is read in. Is there a way to address that situation?

LMHmedchem

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list read only files using find

hi, how can i list read only files (for u,g,o) using find command? Thanks and Regards Vivek.s (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivekshankar
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to mark ALL mail items as read?

Hi guys. Does anyone know if there is a mail command that will allow you to flag all mail items as being read? I've checked out the man mail pages, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. :confused: We are running UNIX AIX 5.2. Thanks in advance, Kev (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krispy
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

change some record item

Hi all, I have a file with over 10,000 line, but I would like to update/add some code number (such as 062 below) into the line with <phone number> below: 11111<name> john matin <name> 12345<phone number> 123456 <phone number> 34556 <address> 1234 lucky road <address> 11111<name> john... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find an available item in array

Dear all, I'm have a sorted array like this: 177 220 1001 2000 2001 2003 2005 notice that 2002 and 2004 are NOT in array. Then user input a number INPUT, our script should return OUTPUT value like this: if INPUT is not in array => OUTPUT=INPUT if INPUT is in array => OUTPUT is the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fongthai
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

change list to comma seperated items

I have a list of servers in a file called serverlist like this server1 server2 server3 i need to have them (with no trailing comma, the program does not like that) server1,server2,server3 so far i have been using HOSTS=/tmp/serverlist HOSTS=${HOSTS:-$(grep -Ev "^#|^$"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: insania
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question regarding syntax of (lis) and { list;}

Hi there, As you know, we can group a list of commands in either (list) form or { list;}. I know the difference between the two. (list) make the command list to be executed in a subshell while the commands gathered in { list;} are executed in the current shell. My question here is about the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hongwei
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

retrieve what the currently selected item is in a dropdown select list using perl tk

I have a dropdown menu built in perl tk (I am using active state perl). I want to select a value from the dropdown menu and I want to be able to perform some other actions depending upon what value is selected. I have all the graphical part made but I dont know how to get the selected value. Any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lassimanji
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

List content of item in the combobox

I have a combo.cgi here. this is linux environment What i am going to do is this combobox will list down all the flatfile name in this /u/test/cgi-bin/List directory. after that, i wanted it to open the flatfile and display the content of the flatfile into another listbox or textarea in this page... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chezy
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass an array to awk to sequentially look for a list of items in a file

Hello, I need to collect some statistical results from a series of files that are being generated by other software. The files are tab delimited. There are 4 different sets of statistics in each file where there is a line indicating what the statistic set is, followed by 5 lines of values. It... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to process a list of items and uncomment lines with that item in a second file

Hello, I have a src code file where I need to uncomment many lines. The lines I need to uncomment look like, C CALL l_r(DESNAME,DESOUT, 'Gmax', ESH(10), NO_APP, JJ) The comment is the "C" in the first column. This needs to be deleted so that there are 6 spaces preceding "CALL".... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
7 Replies