Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting A cleaner way to rearrange column Post 302986754 by LMHmedchem on Tuesday 29th of November 2016 11:13:12 PM
Old 11-30-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
I presume you are using awk anyhow, as proposed by RavinderSingh13 and Don Cragun? How about adapting their code, like
Code:
awk 'BEGIN { FS = OFS = "\t" } { $2 = $2 OFS (!(NR-1)?"id":$1); $(NF+1) = !(NR-1)?"target":1.3 } 1'  file
index	name	id	chg_p	chg_m	target
1	name,1	1	1	0	1.3
2	name,2	2	1	1	1.3
3	name,3	3	1	0	1.3
4	name,4	4	1	0	1.3
5	name,5	5	1	1	1.3

Yes, I was able to modify the above code to insert another column in the second position with the header "group" and the value "V".
Code:
awk 'BEGIN { FS = OFS = "\t" } { $1 = $1 OFS (!(NR-1)?"group":"V") } 1' temp_output1 > temp_output2

Though I was able to modify the script to get what I needed, I still don't fully understand the syntax.

As far as I can tell,
{ FS = OFS = "\t" } means that the input and output field separators are both tab.

{ $1 = $1 OFS (!(NR-1)?"group":"V") } appears to concatenate field 1, plus the output separator, plus "group" for the first record (or V if it is not the first record) and assign that all to field 1. This effectively makes $1 two fields wide with the original column 1 plus the new column. I have tried to reference !(NR-1)? but since google now seems to think it knows better than you what it should show you from a search, searching on "!(NR-1)?" in quotes returns no results that actually have that string. I really miss the "+" in google search.

I don't see where the rest of the fields are printed out, unless the trailing 1 does that.

Do I have this correct, more or less?

LMHmedchem

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

rearrange a file

hi! in awk, i have a file like this: Trace1: WRIT,Trace2: BLAN,Trace3: BLAN, -47.2120018005371,,,39815.4809027778 -46.3009986877441,,,39815.4809027778 -46.277000427246,,,39815.4809143519 -46.7389984130859,,,39815.4809259259 -46.3460006713867,,,39815.4809259259... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: riderman
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to rearrange data.

Hello. I have data in the following format (the spaces at the beginning of lines are included): 1 2 2 0.39621 0.00000 1 2 2 0.00000+-0.0000 * 1 2 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andersgs
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

rearrange the column names with comma as column delimiter

Hi, I am new to shell scripting, i have requirement can any one help me out in this regrads, in directory i have file like invoice1.txt, invoice2.txt in each file i have fixed number of columns, 62 in number but they are randomly arranged.like for first file invoice1.txt can have columns... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhav62
5 Replies

4. Programming

How to simplify this perl script to a cleaner simpler look?

my $branch_email_e = $FORM{r_Branch}; my $hostbranch_email_e = $FORM{r_Host_Branch}; my $branch_email_f = $FORM{r_Direction_generale}; my $hostbranch_email_f = $FORM{r_Direction_generale_daccueil}; my $branch_realname_e = ''; my $branch_realname_f = ''; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: callyvan
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing the newest file, cleaner method?

Greetings, I'm doing a process whereby I need to search for all filenames containing a given bit of text and grab the newest file from what may be 20 results. In a script I'm writing, i've got a monster line to do the sort as follows: find /opt/work/reports/input -name "*$searchtarget*" |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Karunamon
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cleaner method for this if-then statement?

I have a script that runs once per month. It performs a certain task ONLY if the month is January, April, July, or October. MONTH=`date +%m` if || || || ; then do something else do a different thing fi Is there a neater way of doing it than my four separate "or" comparisons? That... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lupin..the..3rd
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cleaner way to use shell variable in awk /X/,/Y/ syntax?

$ cat data Do NOT print me START_MARKER Print Me END_MARKER Do NOT print me $ cat awk.sh start=START_MARKER end=END_MARKER echo; echo Is this ugly syntax the only way? awk '/'"$start"'/,/'"$end"'/ { print }' data echo; echo Is there some modification of this that would work? awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanson44
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maybe a cleaner way to generate a file?

greetings, to be clear, i have a solution but i'm wondering if anyone has a cleaner way to accomplish the following: the variable: LSB_MCPU_HOSTS='t70c7n120 16 t70c7n121 16 t70c7n122 16 t70c7n123 16 t70c7n124 16 t70c7n125 16 t70c7n126 16 t70c7n127 16 t70c7n128 16 t70c7n129 16 t70c7n130 16... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
2 Replies

9. War Stories

Data Centre meets Vacuum Cleaner

Hi Folks, I have just spent a couple of days resolving some problems at the remote DR data centre, sorting out the problems caused by the over zealous use of a Vacuum cleaner of all things. We have a backup server a SUN V480R with a Storedge 3510 and expansion attached which suffered a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
6 Replies
nljust(1)						      General Commands Manual							 nljust(1)

NAME
nljust - justify lines, left or right, for printing SYNOPSIS
digits] seq] just] mode] order] margin] width] ck] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
formats for printing data written in languages with a right-to-left orientation. It is designed to be used with the and the commands (see pr(1) and lp(1)). reads the concatenation of input files (or standard input if none are given) and produces on standard output a right-to-left formatted ver- sion of its input. If appears as an input file name, reads standard input at that point. Use to delimit the end of options. formats input files for all languages that are read from right to left. For languages that have a left-to-right orientation, the command merely copies input files to standard output. Options recognizes the following options: Justify data for all languages, including those having a left-to-right text orientation. By default only right-to-left language data is justified. For all other languages, input files are directly copied to standard output. Select enhanced printer shapes for some Arabic characters. With this option, two-character combinations of laam and alif are replaced by a single character. Triggers ISO 8859-6 interpretation of the data. Processes digits for output as hindi, western, or both. digits can be or both. Use seq as the escape sequence to select the primary character set. This escape sequence is used by languages that have too many characters to be accommodated by ASCII in a single 256-character set. In these cases, the seq escape sequence can be used to select the non-ASCII character set. The escape character itself(0x1b) is not given on the command line. Hewlett-Packard escape sequences are used by default. If just is left justify print lines. If just is right-justify print lines starting from the (designated or default) print width column. The default is right justification. Replace leading spaces with alternative spaces. Some right-to-left character sets have a non-ASCII or alternative space. This option can be useful when filtering out- put (see pr(1)). With right justification, the option causes line numbers to be placed immediately to the right of the tab character. Without the option, right justification causes line numbers to be placed at the print-width column. By default, leading spaces are not replaced by alternative spaces. Indicate mode of any file to be formatted. Mode refers to the text orientation of the file when it was created. If mode is assume Latin mode. If mode is assume non-Latin mode. By default, mode information is obtained from the environment variable. Do not terminate lines containing printable characters with a new-line. By default, print lines are terminated by new-lines. Indicate data order of any file to be formatted. The text orientation of a file can affect the way its data is arranged. If order is assume keyboard order. If order is assume screen order. By default, order information is obtained from the environment variable. Truncate print lines that do not fit the designated or default line length. Print lines are folded (that is, wrapped to next line) by default. Expand input tabs to column positions k+1, 2*k+1, 3*k+1, etc. Tab characters in the input are expanded to the appropriate number of spaces. If k is 0 or is omitted, default tab settings at every eighth position is assumed. If cd (any non-digit character) is given, it is treated as the input tab character. The default for c is the tab character. always expands input tabs. This option provides a way to change the tab character and setting. If this option is specified, at least one of the parameters c or k must be given. Designate a number as the print margin. The print margin is the column where truncation or folding takes place. The print margin determines how many characters appear on a single line and can never exceed the print width. The print margin is relative to the justifica- tion. If the print margin is 80, folding or truncation occurs at column 80 starting from the right during a right jus- tification. Similarly, folding or truncation occurs at column 80 starting from the left during a left justification. By default, the print margin is set to column 80. Designates a number as the print width. The print width is the maximum number of columns in the print line. Print width determines the start of text during a right justification. The larger the print width, the further to the right the text will start. By default, an 80-column print width is used. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables The environment variable determines the mode and order of the file. The syntax of is [mode][_order]. mode describes the mode of a file where represents Latin mode and represents non-Latin mode. Non-Latin mode is assumed for values other than and order describes the data order of a file where is keyboard and is screen. Keyboard order is assumed for values other than and Mode and order information in can be overridden from the command line. The environment variable determines the direction of a language (left-to-right or right-to-left) and whether context analysis of characters is necessary. The environment variable determines whether a language has alternative numbers. The environment variable determines the language in which messages are displayed. International Code Set Support Single-byte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
Right justify on a 132-column printer with a print margin at column 80 (the default): Right justify output of with line numbers on a 132-column printer with a print margin at column 132: WARNINGS
If with line numbers option) is piped to the separator character must be a tab(0x09). It is the user's responsibility to ensure that the environment variable accurately reflects the status of the file. Mode and justification must be consistent. Only non-Latin-mode files can be right justified in a meaningful way. Similarly, only Latin- mode files can be safely left justified. If mode and justification do not match, the results are undefined. If present, alternative numbers always have a left-to-right orientation. The command is HP proprietary, not portable to other vendors' systems, and will not be provided in future HP-UX releases. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
forder(1), lp(1), pr(1), strord(3C). nljust(1)