Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Batch processing files through an interactive script Post 302986516 by RudiC on Saturday 26th of November 2016 11:02:40 AM
Old 11-26-2016
Try, then,
Code:
read -p "Good Morning, Please enter your file type name for sorting [ENTER]:" all_extensions
if cd /Users/christopherdorman/desktop
  then	while read extension
	  do 	destination="folder$extension"
	  	mkdir -p "$destination"
	  	if echo mv  -v unsorted/*."$extension" "$destination"
	  	  then	echo "Good News, Your files have been successfully processed"
	  	fi
	  done   <<< "${all_extensions// /$'\n'}"
	if echo mv  -v unsorted/* "foldermisc"
	  then	echo "Good News, the rest of Your files have been successfully processed"
	fi
fi

and report back on any difficulties or problems. It needs a recent bash, and the while loop is an alternative to a for construct. The echoes are a safety measure; remove them if happy with the output.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regarding interactive ID of batch job

Hi all, We are running a batch job using Unix script. This batch job is running daily to get data from a Mainframe database and to load our tables. We are using an interactive ID for the batch job. If we removed that interactive ID, the batch job fails. What's my question is.. Is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeep.edara
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash - batch processing folder of files by name

Hello Everyone!!! I need some help with a shellscript to batch process a folder of files with the imagemagick convert -append/+append command. The folder contains some hundred or thousand of small images in .png format which I would like to join together in order of their filenames. The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: imtombi
3 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to write script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode

Q. Write a script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode. When no arguments are supplied it picks up each C program from the directory and prints first 10 lines. It then prompts for deletion of the file. If user supplies arguments with the script , then it works on those files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rits
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing different jobs as a batch process

Hi All, I want to process consecutive jobs in a sequence but when I execute 1 job ,the control does not return to the command prompt to continue with the next job. Can anyone help me here? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Taranjeet Singh
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for renaming a batch of files

hi i have a folder full of files. some of the names are quite off because the dimensions were the same and i had to put a 'b' after the initial number so that it didnt overwrite. what i want is a script in unix to overwrite the filwe name leaving some of the title intact, e.g. below are some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shabs1985
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to batch-processing numerous shell scripts?

How to batch-processing numerous shell scripts? how to record the result of all the scripts as a report? then, I can analysis the process result. I want to process numerous shell scripts in my working directory: the directory name is consistent with shell scripts name, that is to say,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qcmao
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a batch of files within a shell script with option to refire the individual files in batch

Hello everyone. I am new to shell scripting and i am required to create a shell script, the purpose of which i will explain below. I am on a solaris server btw. Before delving into the requirements, i will give youse an overview of what is currently in place and its purpose. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to exclude .NFSxxx files in clear old files batch script

I am new to Shell Scripting and need some help. The following batch job has been failing for me due to the .nfsxxx files in use. I need to know how to modify the following script to exclude the .nfsxxx files so this batch job will not fail on me. I have done lots of googling and keep coming back... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimberlyg2007
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sftp batch processing commands

Hello, I have a UNIX script to sftp batch processing. Here is my sftp command. ftp -b toopc userid@sftp.hostname.com In the file toopc I have the following commands: mget *.csv bye This brings in all files with an extension of .csv However, I need to only bring in files that ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: schlinzj
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use gpg to encrypt data in batch/non-interactive mode?

Hello, I have to encrypt data using a script in batch mode without being prompted. I can successfully encrypt data but it prompts me to enter (y/N) as shown below. I tried batch flags without no success. I need to automate this without any prompts. Appreciate your inputs. Thanks, C. $... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: calredd
2 Replies
XKBCOMP(1)						      General Commands Manual							XKBCOMP(1)

NAME
xkbcomp - compile XKB keyboard description SYNOPSIS
xkbcomp [option] source [ destination ] DESCRIPTION
The xkbcomp keymap compiler converts a description of an XKB keymap into one of several output formats. The most common use for xkbcomp is to create a compiled keymap file (.xkm extension) which can be read directly by XKB-capable X servers or utilities. The keymap com- piler can also produce C header files or XKB source files. The C header files produced by xkbcomp can be included by X servers or utili- ties that need a built-in default keymap. The XKB source files produced by xkbcomp are fully resolved and can be used to verify that the files which typically make up an XKB keymap are merged correctly or to create a single file which contains a complete description of the keymap. The source may specify an X display, or an .xkb or .xkm file; unless explicitly specified, the format of destination depends on the format of the source. Compiling a .xkb (keymap source) file generates a .xkm (compiled keymap file) by default. If the source is a .xkm file or an X display, xkbcomp generates a keymap source file by default. If the destination is an X display, the keymap for the display is updated with the compiled keymap. The name of the destination is usually computed from the name of the source, with the extension replaced as appropriate. When compiling a single map from a file which contains several maps, xkbcomp constructs the destination file name by appending an appropriate extension to the name of the map to be used. OPTIONS
-a Show all keyboard information, reporting implicit or derived information as a comment. Only affects .xkb format output. -C Produce a C header file as output (.h extension). -dflts Compute defaults for any missing components, such as key names. -Idir Specifies top-level directories to be searched for files included by the keymap description. After all directories specified by -I options have been searched, the current directory and finally, the default xkb directory (usually /usr/lib/X11/xkb) will be searched. To prevent the current and default directories from being searched, use the -I option alone (i.e. without a directory), before any -I options that specify the directories you do want searched. -i deviceid If source or destination is a valid X display, load the keymap from/into the device with the specified ID (not name). -l List maps that specify the map pattern in any files listed on the command line (not implemented yet). -m name Specifies a map to be compiled from an file with multiple entries. -merge Merge the compiled information with the map from the server (not implemented yet). -o name Specifies a name for the generated output file. The default is the name of the source file with an appropriate extension for the output format. -opt parts Specifies a list of optional parts. Compilation errors in any optional parts are not fatal. Parts may consist of any combination of the letters c, g,k,s,t which specify the compatibility map, geometry, keycodes, symbols and types, respectively. -Rdir Specifies the root directory for relative path names. -synch Force synchronization for X requests. -version Print version number. -w lvl Controls the reporting of warnings during compilation. A warning level of 0 disables all warnings; a warning level of 10 enables them all. -xkb Generate a source description of the keyboard as output (.xkb extension). -xkm Generate a compiled keymap file as output (.xkm extension). SEE ALSO
X(7) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1994, Silicon Graphics Computer Systems and X Consortium, Inc. See X(7) for a full statement of rights and permissions. AUTHOR
Erik Fortune, Silicon Graphics X Version 11 xkbcomp 1.2.4 XKBCOMP(1)