Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help required to get a backup script working Post 302986371 by rbatte1 on Thursday 24th of November 2016 10:25:30 AM
Old 11-24-2016
Welcome jimmyzoom ,

I have a few to questions pose in response first:-
  • What have you tried so far?
  • What output/errors do you get?
  • What OS and version are you using?
  • What are your preferred tools? (C, shell, perl, awk, etc.)
  • Do you have SSH keys exchanged allowing a password-less scp?
  • What logical process have you considered? (to help steer us to follow what you are trying to achieve)
Most importantly, What have you tried so far?

There are probably many ways to achieve most tasks, so giving us an idea of your style and thoughts will help us guide you to an answer most suitable to you so you can adjust it to suit your needs in future.

Without seeing your script, it is difficult to suggest how to change it. Can you post it? Please wrap it in CODE tags so it displays properly.

Kind regards,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup Rationalisation Script - Help Required

Ok so once again im back with what is probably a beginner question although somewhat more complicated (for me) than the last. Background: A client has a daily backup which is carried out via rsync. Due to this, when they move a file around that file is then coppied a second time. On top of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeked
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup script not working

Hi guys iv been working on a bit of script to do a backup and restore Im going to uni next year and trying to prepare myself Basically all im wanting is a simple script that shows a menu and does what ever the user inputs here is my code #!/bin/sh # Backup des backup= "/root/Russell/"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rustyhamster
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script is not working from cron while working manually

Hello, I am facing a very strange problem when I run my script manuallu ./Fetchcode which is using to connect with MKS integrity from linux end it workks fine but when I run it from cron it doesn't work.Can someone help me 1) How could I check my script when it is running from cron like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script not working in cron but working fine manually

Help. My script is working fine when executed manually but the cron seems not to catch up the command when registered. The script is as follow: #!/bin/sh for file in file_1.txt file_2.txt file_3.txt do awk '{ print "0" }' $file > tmp.tmp mv tmp.tmp $file done And the cron... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasperux
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Backup Shell Script for Network Device Configuration backup

HI all, im new to shell scripting. need your guidence for my script. i wrote one script and is attached here Im explaining the requirement of script. AIM: Shell script to run automatically as per scheduled and backup few network devices configurations. Script will contain a set of commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
4 Replies

7. AIX

GTAR - new ways for faster backup - help required

We are taking backup of our application data(cobol file system, AIX/unix) before and after EOD job runs. The data size is approximately 260 GB in biggest branch. To reduce the backup time, 5 parallel execution is scheduled through control-m which backups up the files in 5 different *.gz. The job... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bharath_79
2 Replies

8. AIX

GTAR - new ways to faster backup - help required

We are taking backup of our application data(cobol file system, AIX/unix) before and after EOD job runs. The data size is approximately 260 GB in biggest branch. To reduce the backup time, 5 parallel execution is scheduled through control-m which backups up the files in 5 different *.gz. The job... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bharath_79
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Percona SQL Backup Shell Script not working

I am having one heck of a time, and I need anyone that can assist in finding my issue here.... First off, here is the script we are using: pastebin dot com slash njwUg6vd All usernames and passwords have been edited out. We are using an actual database user, and not root (tried both). I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonbeard
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

RHEL 7: Backup Space and Delete is not working in console

Hi All, During my virtual machine power on i have rc3.d script to accept user inputs like IP address. This script gets executed during first time boot up. It was working fine till my VM is using RHEL6.5. Now we migrated to RHEL 7 environment. While accepting the user inputs in console, I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
4 Replies
SYSSTAT(5)							Linux User's Manual							SYSSTAT(5)

NAME
sysstat - sysstat configuration file. DESCRIPTION
This file is read by sa1(8) and sa2(8) shell scripts from the sysstat's set of tools. It consists of a sequence of shell variable assign- ments used to configure sysstat logging. The variables and their meanings are: HISTORY The number of days during which a daily data file or a report should be kept. Data files or reports older than this number of days will be removed by the sa2(8) shell script. COMPRESSAFTER Number of days after which daily data files are to be compressed, either by gzip or bzip2. SADC_OPTIONS Options that should be passed to sadc(8). With these options (see sadc(8) manual page), you can select some additional data which are going to be saved in daily data files. These options are used only when a new data file is created. They will be ignored with an already existing one. FILES
/etc/sysstat/sysstat AUTHOR
Sebastien Godard (sysstat <at> orange.fr) SEE ALSO
sadc(8), sa1(8), sa2(8) http://pagesperso-orange.fr/sebastien.godard/ Linux SEPTEMBER 2010 SYSSTAT(5)