Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cannot extend logical volume
Operating Systems AIX Cannot extend logical volume Post 302986300 by vbe on Wednesday 23rd of November 2016 10:53:11 AM
Old 11-23-2016
we dont have an
Code:
lsvg -l

either to unterstand how it is organised ( mirror between to bays? etc... ) And I may be wrong as now I use only mirror pools

It looks like you are in morror and yes you added new disks but are they one in each mrirror copy etc...

If you are stripped with strict policy you are stuck...you will have to add as many disks it needs to respect the stripping policy, but one way perhaps to see if true would be to do a
Code:
 reorgvg datavg

as if the stripping is not strict, it will move blocks to unused disks and free the ones completely full, beware if this have never been done before ( running tht command...) it can take quite some time ( in hours...)
If it worked, you can try
Code:
 chfs -a size=+2000M /oradata

and see if that works.. if so you are a happy guy...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Extend one Logical Volume

Hi All, I am new to AIX. I need to extend one Logical Volume it is jfs type on On AIX 5.1. I have enough free space on the volume group for this extension Can I use smitty chjfs , will this do it without interruptions to the application that is using this Logical Volume. Thanks Scampi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scampi
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LVM - Extending Logical Volume within Volume Group

Hello, I have logical volume group of 50GB, in which I have 2 logical volumes, LogVol01 and LogVol02, both are of 10GB. If I extend LogVol01 further by 10GB, then it keeps the extended copy after logical volume 2. I want to know where it keeps this information Regards Himanshu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghimanshu
3 Replies

3. AIX

Help - can't extend logical volume ?

Hi, Smit "Increase the Size of a Logical Volume" command failed. Output: ---------------------------------------------------------- Command: failed stdout: yes stderr: no Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below. The distribution of this command (111) failed on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies

4. AIX

Basic Filesystem / Physical Volume / Logical Volume Check

Hi! Can anyone help me on how I can do a basic check on the Unix filesystems / physical volumes and logical volumes? What items should I check, like where do I look at in smit? Or are there commands that I should execute? I need to do this as I was informed by IBM that there seems to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chipahoys
1 Replies

5. AIX

Logical volume name conflict in two volume group

Hello, I am a french computer technician, and i speak English just a little. On Aix 5.3, I encounter a name conflict logical volume on two volume group. The first volume lvnode01 is OK in rootvg and mounted. It is also consistent in the ODM root # lsvg -l rootvg |grep lvnode01 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantares
10 Replies

6. HP-UX

Unable To Extend the Size of a Logical Volume File System

Background: # uname -a HP-UX deedee B.11.23 U ia64 4294967295 unlimited-user license deedee.rsn.hp.com:/ # bdf /opt Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on /dev/vg00/lvol6 6553600 6394216 158144 98% /opt /opt is almost full... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rob Sandifer
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion Regarding Physical Volume,Volume Group,Logical Volume,Physical partition

Hi, I am new to unix. I am working on Red Hat Linux and side by side on AIX also. After reading the concepts of Storage, I am now really confused regarding the terminologies 1)Physical Volume 2)Volume Group 3)Logical Volume 4)Physical Partition Please help me to understand these concepts. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifsd17
6 Replies

8. HP-UX

[Solved] How to extend a mirrored logical volume?

Want to extend the /home filesystem: Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on /dev/vg00/lvol4 262144 260088 2056 99% /home root@server:./root # vgdisplay vg00 --- Volume groups --- VG Name /dev/vg00 VG Write Access read/write VG Status available Max LV 255 Cur LV 11 Open... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
4 Replies

9. AIX

Position of the logical volume on the physical volume

Hello everyone, I just read that while creating a logical volume(LV) we can choose the region of the physical volume (PV) in which the LV should be created. When I say region I mean: outer edge - outer middle - center - inner middle and inner edge. Can anyone help me understand the utility... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: adilyos
11 Replies

10. Red Hat

No space in volume group. How to create a file system using existing logical volume

Hello Guys, I want to create a file system dedicated for an application installation. But there is no space in volume group to create a new logical volume. There is enough space in other logical volume which is being mounted on /var. I know we can use that logical volume and create a virtual... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies
vxrootmir(1M)															     vxrootmir(1M)

NAME
vxrootmir - create a mirror of a Veritas Volume Manager root disk SYNOPSIS
/etc/vx/bin/vxrootmir [-g diskgroup] [-t tasktag] [-p Pool_1,Pool_2,...] [[-v] [-b] [-R] root_mirror] DESCRIPTION
The vxrootmir command creates mirrors of all of the volumes on a Veritas Volume Manager (VxVM) rootable boot disk, and makes the new disk bootable. A disk to be used as a mirror can be specified either by its VM disk name (disk media name) or by its device name (disk access name). If a disk media name is specified, it is validated to make sure that it exists and that it has been properly initialized. This validation includes making sure that the private region is at the same location and has the same length as the private region on the primary root disk, and that the sum of the lengths of all of the subdisks located on the primary root disk will fit within the available space in the public region of the specified disk. If a disk access name is specified, it is validated to make sure it exists and is not in use, and that the total length of all the subdisks on the primary root disk will fit within the public region. The disk is then initialized to contain a private region with the same offset and length as the private region on the primary root disk. A new disk media name is assigned to the disk formed from the prefix rootdisk followed by the next available number (for example, rootdisk02, rootdisk03, and so on). All volumes that have a subdisk on the primary VxVM root disk are mirrored on the specified disk. When the root volume (rootvol) is mir- rored, the vxassist command executes vxbootsetup to set up the new disk as a boot disk. The -p option allows you to mirror the volumes on the root disk as stripe columns across several disks. The argument to this option is a list of disks that are to be used for the stripe column mirrors. If not enough disks are specified, vxrootmir prints a message to the standard error output, including information on how many disks are required, and then exits. When initialized for VxVM use, these stripe column disks are named with the prefix rootaux followed by the next available number (for example, rootaux01, rootaux02, and so on). OPTIONS
-b If the system was booted from the VxVM root disk that is being mirrored, this option uses the setboot command to set the alter- nate boot disk to the specified mirror. If the system was booted from another root disk (such as an LVM root disk), an alternate root disk is not set. If the -v option is also specified, information is displayed on the current setboot settings, and on whether the alternate boot disk is set to the specified mirror. -g diskgroup Specifies the boot disk group. -p Pool_1,Pool_2,... Specifies the disks that are to be used for stripe column targets when mirroring the VxVM root disk. The disks can be specified either as disk access names, or as disk media names if they have previously been initialized for use with VxVM. If specified as disk access names, the disks are checked for existence, correct size, and availability for use. -R Indicates that only the volumes required to boot successfully from the new mirror are to be mirrored. -t tasktag Marks any tasks that are registered to track the progress of an operation with the tag tasktag. This option is passed to vxas- sist when mirroring volumes, so any child tasks are also tagged with tasktag. -v Displays verbose output including timestamps for operations in progress. This option is useful as mirroring large volumes can take a long time. ARGUMENTS
daname Specifies the disk to be used as a mirror by its disk access name (such as c0t2d0). dmname Specifies the disk to be used as a mirror by its disk media name (such as rootdisk03). EXAMPLES
This example shows the vxrootmir command being invoked in its simpliest form: /etc/vx/bin/vxrootmir c5t1d0 The next example shows how to use the -R option with vxrootmir. # /etc/vx/bin/vxrootmir -v -b -R c5t10d0 vxrootmir: 10:10: Gathering information on the current VxVM root configuration vxrootmir: 10:10: Checking specified disk(s) for usability vxrootmir: 10:10: Preparing disk c5t10d0 as a VxVM disk vxrootmir: 10:10: Adding disk c5t10d0 to rootdg as rootdisk02 vxrootmir: 10:10: Mirroring only volumes required for root mirror boot vxrootmir: 10:10: Mirroring volume standvol vxrootmir: 10:11: Mirroring volume swapvol vxrootmir: 10:18: Mirroring volume rootvol vxrootmir: 10:20: Current setboot values: vxrootmir: 10:20: Primary: 0/4/0/1.11.0 vxrootmir: 10:20: Alternate: 0/4/0/1.13.0 vxrootmir: 10:20: Making c5t10d0 (0/4/0/1.10.0) the alternate boot disk vxrootmir: 10:20: Disk c5t10d0 is now a mirrored root disk The final example shows how to specify a list of disks for use as stripe column mirrors: # /etc/vx/bin/vxrootmir -v -p c5t11d0,c5t12d0,c5t13d0 c5t10d0 vxrootmir: 12:11: Gathering information on the current VxVM root configuration vxrootmir: 12:11: Checking specified disk(s) for usability vxrootmir: 12:11: Preparing disk c5t10d0 as a VxVM disk vxrootmir: 12:11: Adding disk c5t10d0 to rootdg as rootdisk02 vxrootmir: 12:11: Preparing disk c5t11d0 as a VxVM disk vxrootmir: 12:11: Adding disk c5t11d0 to rootdg as DM rootstpm01 vxrootmir: 12:11: Preparing disk c5t12d0 as a VxVM disk vxrootmir: 12:11: Adding disk c5t12d0 to rootdg as DM rootstpm02 vxrootmir: 12:11: Preparing disk c5t13d0 as a VxVM disk vxrootmir: 12:11: Adding disk c5t13d0 to rootdg as DM rootstpm03 vxrootmir: 12:11: Mirroring all volumes on root disk vxrootmir: 12:11: Mirroring volume standvol vxrootmir: 12:12: Mirroring volume swapvol vxrootmir: 12:19: Mirroring volume rootvol vxrootmir: 12:21: Mirroring volume optvol vxrootmir: 12:24: Mirroring volume usrvol vxrootmir: 12:27: Mirroring volume homevol vxrootmir: 12:28: Mirroring volume tmpvol vxrootmir: 12:28: Mirroring volume varvol vxrootmir: 12:36: Disk c5t10d0 is now a mirrored root disk NOTES
If the vxrootmir command aborts for any reason, or if you interrupt the command during execution, an attempt is made to clean up the VxVM objects that had been generated up to the time of the abort or interruption. All mirror plexes that had already been added, or that were in the process of being added when the interruption occurred, are removed. All Data Media (DM) objects that were created are also removed. If a plex or a DM object cannot be removed, an explanatory message is displayed. SEE ALSO
setboot(1M), vxassist(1M), vxbootsetup(1M), vxintro(1M), vxmirror(1M), vxtask(1M) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxrootmir(1M)