Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ssh passwd less, shell script Post 302986233 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 22nd of November 2016 10:43:43 AM
Old 11-22-2016
So what you want to do is to put a public key into place without authenticating. Would you be happy if your uses did this and could overwrite the authorised public key too?

If there is a plain FTP server on each box you want to connect to and you have credentials that will let you FTP to each of them, then you can certainly script that to put the public key in the correct location.

Smilie Make sure that your don't overwrite the existing authorized_keys file in case it's already in sue for something else. Smilie

Smilie Make sure that you get the permissions correct: mode 700 for ~/.ssh and mode 600 for files under ~/.ssh Smilie

Another way you might achieve this could be if you have a backup/restore agent on each, get the software to 'restore' your file to each in turn, but that might be more cumbersome that putting in your credentials in the first place and runs the risk of overwriting just the same.

I hope that this helps,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passwd in shell script

Is there a way to change user password using passwd command in shell script? I don't want to use expect. Please help (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: corny
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

possible to lock accounts (passwd -l) and still allow acct to ssh to other server?

My scenario is as follows: We have a handful of batch accounts that run our production jobs. Our users are able to use sudo to become that account. Also, because of other reasons, the passwords are also listed in an encrypted file that each team can see their batch ID. So, I have some users... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpolikowsky
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 10 allow ssh login with empty passwd

I have turned off PermitEmptyPasswords in sshd_config, but a user with empty passwd (deleted by passwd -d user) can still login without password, why? it is big security concern, linux doesn't have the issue. $ uname -a SunOS 5.10 Generic_118855-14 i86pc i386 i86pc ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
8 Replies

4. Solaris

Change passwd for bulk servers using SSH script

Hi, I need to Change passwd for bulk servers using SSH script. I have one server, from which i can reach all the servers without password via SSH. There is some expect script, from which i can achieve it. Can any one help me out here. Thanks in advance. Vicky (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vickyingle5
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use ssh execute other shell script on other host (shell script include nohup)?

i want use ssh on the host01 to execute autoexec.sh on the host02 like following : host01> ssh host02 autoexec.sh autoexec.sh include nohup command like follwing : nohup /home/jack/deletedata.sh & after i execute ssh host02 autoexec.sh one the host01. i can't found deletedata.sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orablue
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required to write shell script to change passwd

Hi All, I wanted to write a shell script which will change the expired passwd in oracle. Here is below what I am trying, #!/bin/sh set -x ORACLE_HOME="/optware/oracle/9.2.0.2_64" SQLPLUS="${ORACLE_HOME}/bin/sqlplus" PASS="xyz" PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$PATH... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SSH using shell script terminates the script execution

Hello, I am writing a shell script in which i do ssh to remote server and count the number of files there and then exit. After the exit the shell script terminates which i believe is expected behavior. Can some one suggest me a way where even after the exit the script execution resumes. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manaankit
2 Replies

8. Linux

ssh and passwd scripting execution problems on linux

I'm having a problem here and I was wondering if anyone could help me? I'm putting together a password script. First off, I don't have root access. I have sudo access. Lets say the User ID is Trevor1, the password is H!rry23! and the server name is Linux1234 This is how the script begins ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wdog17
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dont want to mention user id passwd in shell script

Hi, i have one shell script which transfers files from one server to other server through FTP, but i can see login id and password is not mentioned. kindly help to understand the script.then how below script is working if login and password is not mentioned in script #!/bin/sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ni3b007
1 Replies

10. Cybersecurity

Ssh acces without passwd from unique machine to all servers

hello i want to acces to many machines over LAN network from a unique machine , that allow me to use a SSH directly without password. i ama using redhat enterprise version . i didnt find the right way to realise that. what should i do at first ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wassimpb
1 Replies
SSH-COPY-ID(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					    SSH-COPY-ID(1)

NAME
ssh-copy-id -- use locally available keys to authorise logins on a remote machine SYNOPSIS
ssh-copy-id [-n] [-i [identity_file]] [-p port] [-o ssh_option] [user@]hostname ssh-copy-id -h | -? DESCRIPTION
ssh-copy-id is a script that uses ssh(1) to log into a remote machine (presumably using a login password, so password authentication should be enabled, unless you've done some clever use of multiple identities). It assembles a list of one or more fingerprints (as described below) and tries to log in with each key, to see if any of them are already installed (of course, if you are not using ssh-agent(1) this may result in you being repeatedly prompted for pass-phrases). It then assembles a list of those that failed to log in, and using ssh, enables logins with those keys on the remote server. By default it adds the keys by appending them to the remote user's ~/.ssh/authorized_keys (creating the file, and directory, if necessary). It is also capable of detecting if the remote system is a NetScreen, and using its 'set ssh pka-dsa key ...' command instead. The options are as follows: -i identity_file Use only the key(s) contained in identity_file (rather than looking for identities via ssh-add(1) or in the default_ID_file). If the filename does not end in .pub this is added. If the filename is omitted, the default_ID_file is used. Note that this can be used to ensure that the keys copied have the comment one prefers and/or extra options applied, by ensuring that the key file has these set as preferred before the copy is attempted. -n do a dry-run. Instead of installing keys on the remote system simply prints the key(s) that would have been installed. -h, -? Print Usage summary -p port, -o ssh_option These two options are simply passed through untouched, along with their argument, to allow one to set the port or other ssh(1) options, respectively. Rather than specifying these as command line options, it is often better to use (per-host) settings in ssh(1)'s configuration file: ssh_config(5). Default behaviour without -i, is to check if 'ssh-add -L' provides any output, and if so those keys are used. Note that this results in the comment on the key being the filename that was given to ssh-add(1) when the key was loaded into your ssh-agent(1) rather than the comment contained in that file, which is a bit of a shame. Otherwise, if ssh-add(1) provides no keys contents of the default_ID_file will be used. The default_ID_file is the most recent file that matches: ~/.ssh/id*.pub, (excluding those that match ~/.ssh/*-cert.pub) so if you create a key that is not the one you want ssh-copy-id to use, just use touch(1) on your preferred key's .pub file to reinstate it as the most recent. EXAMPLES
If you have already installed keys from one system on a lot of remote hosts, and you then create a new key, on a new client machine, say, it can be difficult to keep track of which systems on which you've installed the new key. One way of dealing with this is to load both the new key and old key(s) into your ssh-agent(1). Load the new key first, without the -c option, then load one or more old keys into the agent, possibly by ssh-ing to the client machine that has that old key, using the -A option to allow agent forwarding: user@newclient$ ssh-add user@newclient$ ssh -A old.client user@oldl$ ssh-add -c ... prompt for pass-phrase ... user@old$ logoff user@newclient$ ssh someserver now, if the new key is installed on the server, you'll be allowed in unprompted, whereas if you only have the old key(s) enabled, you'll be asked for confirmation, which is your cue to log back out and run user@newclient$ ssh-copy-id -i someserver The reason you might want to specify the -i option in this case is to ensure that the comment on the installed key is the one from the .pub file, rather than just the filename that was loaded into you agent. It also ensures that only the id you intended is installed, rather than all the keys that you have in your ssh-agent(1). Of course, you can specify another id, or use the contents of the ssh-agent(1) as you pre- fer. Having mentioned ssh-add(1)'s -c option, you might consider using this whenever using agent forwarding to avoid your key being hijacked, but it is much better to instead use ssh(1)'s ProxyCommand and -W option, to bounce through remote servers while always doing direct end-to-end authentication. This way the middle hop(s) don't get access to your ssh-agent(1). A web search for 'ssh proxycommand nc' should prove enlightening (N.B. the modern approach is to use the -W option, rather than nc(1)). ENVIRONMENT
SSH_COPY_ID_LEGACY If the SSH_COPY_ID_LEGACY environment variable is set, the ssh-copy-id is run in a legacy mode. In this mode, the ssh-copy-id doesn't check an existence of a private key and doesn't do remote checks of the remote server versions or if public keys are already installed. SEE ALSO
ssh(1), ssh-agent(1), sshd(8) BSD
June 17, 2010 BSD