Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk split after second underscore in field Post 302986091 by RavinderSingh13 on Saturday 19th of November 2016 10:23:04 PM
Old 11-19-2016
Hello cmccabe,

If your Input_file have string named _exon only in 4th field and not repeating further into any field then you could try following too.
Code:
awk '{sub(/_exon.*/,X,$0);print}'  Input_file

If you have multiple strings to be removed from 4th field(2nd underscore) onwards and they are unique and not coming into any other field and you could change above code to following with a minor change too.
Code:
awk '{sub(/_exon.*|_etc.*|_another_string.*/,X,$0);print}'   Input_file

Thanks,
R. Singh
This User Gave Thanks to RavinderSingh13 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a field in awk script

Hi all, I have a field in the line, let's say argument $6, which is in the format 00.00 If i want to split the field to get rid of the "." in between of the amount, how can i do that i awk script? I have it like this split($6,a,".") but it will get rid of the last 2 digits after the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CamTu
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

can Awk split my field on the .

I am trying to pull data out of a file to execute a series of repetitive commands. One of the fields is a {hex number}.{hex number} pattern. I need the first part of that structure to pass into the command. The file structure is like this: A 2007/10/20 09:50:00 li text ef6da.1 name ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

usage of underscore in awk

Hi what is the purpose of using underscore in awk. I suppose it is for defining macro's and reducing repeatation but can some one show me an example? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to split field data

Hi Experts, I have a Input.txt document which contains data fields seperated by tabs. There are 4 fields totally Named UNIQUE, ORDER, CONTACT and WINS. The UNIQUE field contains unique ID and the CONTACT field contains data seperated by comma in some records. I am looking to write an awk script... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: forumthreads
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple awk question: split field with :

Hi, Probably a very weak question.. but I have tried all I know.. BPC0001:ANNUL_49542 0.0108 -0.0226 -0.0236 0.0042 0.0033 -0.0545 0.0376 0.0097 -0.0093 -0.032 Control BPC0002:ANNUL_49606 0.0190 -0.0142 -0.0060 -0.0217 -0.0027 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split field with awk

Hi there I have a text file with several fields separated by ";" as follow : 5466-43;5466;JOAN;LIGA;LIGA ESPANOLA;43;DEP LA CORUNA - OSASUNA;10/01/10 17:00 5466-44;5466;CARLES;LIGA;LIGA ESPANOLA;44;MALAGA - ATHL BILBAO;10/01/10 17:00 5466-45;5466;FAB;LIGA;LIGA ESPANOLA;45;REAL MADRID -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: capnino
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to split one field and print the last two fields within the split part.

Hello; I have a file consists of 4 columns separated by tab. The problem is the third fields. Some of the them are very long but can be split by the vertical bar "|". Also some of them do not contain the string "UniProt", but I could ignore it at this moment, and sort the file afterwards. Here is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split file into multiple files using awk based on 1 field in the file?

Good day all I need some helps, say that I have data like below, each field separated by a tab DATE NAME ADDRESS 15/7/2012 LX a.b.c 15/7/2012 LX1 a.b.c 16/7/2012 AB a.b.c 16/7/2012 AB2 a.b.c 15/7/2012 LX2 a.b.c... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexyyw
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to add plus or minus to fields and split another field

In the tab-delimited input below I am trying to use awk to -10 from $2 and +10 to $3. Something like awk -F'\t' -v OFS='\t' -v s=10 '{split($4,a,":"); print $1,$2-s,$3+s,a,$5,$6} | awk {split(a,b,"-"); print $1,$2-s,$3+s,b-s,b+s,$5,$6}' input should do that. I also need to -10 from $4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk to split field twice using two deliminators

In the awk I am splitting on the : into array a, then splitting on the - into element b. I can not seem to duplicate b if there is no - after it. Lines 1,2,4 are examples. If there is a - after the number in b then the value to the right of it is $3 in the ouput. Thank you :). awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)