Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux AIX 6.1 to Linux 7.2 migration Post 302985950 by rbatte1 on Thursday 17th of November 2016 08:39:18 AM
Old 11-17-2016
By '...copied the complete AIX file system to linux....' can I assume that you mean the application filesystem? Overwriting operating system parts could cause unpredictable issues.

You might just find that the ftp client and server are not installed by default on your linux system (you don't say which supplier, which makes it tricky)

You might find vsftpd gives you this service, but you have to install it. You may also need to install an ftp client. What OS are you moving to? Common Linux providers are RedHat, CentOS, Debian, Mint, etc. and they all differ a bit on how you do things. Pasting the output from uname -a (in CODE tags) would help us here.

As far as I know, the .netrc files should still be valid with any ftp client.

Remember that the client opens the connection to the server so you need to know which side is in charge. You may only need one of these packages.

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX Migration

Hi , Migrating AIX 4.3.3 ML10 to 5.3 ML1 (retaining 32 bit) after successfully going through 5 of the 5.3 Install CD's. After "All fileset's processed successfully " message I was told that system would reboot and then I would get prompted for setting TERm type ( i have an ascii ibm3151) and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Student37
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

script migration from HP-UX to AIX

Dear All, What points should i keep in mind while migrating scripts from HP-UX to AIX. Are there any notes available for this? cheers, vishal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishal_ranjan
1 Replies

3. AIX

AIX 5.2 to 5.3 migration

Hello All, We want to upgrade our 44p Model 270 from AIX 5.2 to 5.3. This is a standalone devlopment server but downtime is something we don't want because we have a short development deadline looming. I have no tape drive to make backups to. I myself am a developer and don't have any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fred Vogel
4 Replies

4. AIX

IY17981 fix required for aix 4.3.3 to aix 5L migration but not found

Hi, redbook documentation is telling that IY17981 fix is required for aix 4.3.3 to aix 5L migration. But there is no mention about that fix in any ML installation packages. - My system is ML11 : oslevel –r 4330-11 - But xlC.rte is on wrong version : lslpp -L xlC.rte xlC.rte ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: astjen
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Migration of C Apps from AIX to LINUX

Hi All, I am currently facing new problem of migrating C(c language) application from AIX machine to Linux machine. We are using GCC to compile the source code.. But facing with the compilation issues, with lot of GCC C libs differing between AIX box to Linux box... Pls help me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthikc
1 Replies

6. Programming

Migration of C Apps from AIX to LINUX

Hi All, I am currently facing new problem of migrating C(c language) application from AIX machine to Linux machine. We are using GCC to compile the source code.. But facing with the compilation issues, with lot of GCC C libs differing between AIX box to Linux box... Pls help me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthikc
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Print server Migration from AIX to Linux

Hi, Can anyone help me on migration the print server from AIX to RHEL 4? Appreciate your help? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brby07
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX UNIX (kshell) to Linux Shell Script Migration.

Hi, Could you please let me know what kind of changes/issues commonly occurs at Scripting /command level during AIX Unix (kshell) to Linux shell script migration. (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raghuraman.R
24 Replies

9. AIX

AIX - FC Switch migration, SAN Migration question!

I'm New to AIX / VIOS We're doing a FC switch cutover on an ibm device, connected via SAN. How do I tell if one path to my remote disk is lost? (aix lvm) How do I tell when my link is down on my HBA port? Appreciate your help, very much! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Migration from AIX to Solaris

We are going to work on a project which aims at migrating set of applications from AIX to Solaris. The major portion of the source code involves C, C++, Shell/PERL scripts and Oracle database. We are grateful hear about any commercial tools available for porting AIX to Solaris. Another... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Namitap
2 Replies
BPM(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    BPM(1)

NAME
bpm -- menu-based binary package manager SYNOPSIS
bpm [-hnVv] [-b baseURL] [-m machine] [-r release] [-w seconds] DESCRIPTION
The bpm command is used to locate and install binary packages from any reachable URL. The following command-line options are supported: -b baseURL Specify a base URL from which to download binary packages. The default URL is ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages. -h Print a help message and then exit. -m machine Use machine as the machine architecture to be used, instead of that returned by uname(1). -n Don't actually execute the commands to add the package. -r release Use release as the operating system release to be used, instead of that returned by uname(1). -V Print version number and exit. -v Turn on verbose output. -w seconds The number of seconds to wait after displaying an error message and returning to normal menu operations. bpm provides a menu-based binary package manager for NetBSD. bpm first connects to the URL using ftp(1), and displays a list of categories for which binary packages exist. If no categories are displayed, it could be that the machine architecture or operating system release string have been wrongly interpreted, and that it will be necessary to override this values by means of the command line options. Within a category, a list of packages will be displayed, and by selecting one using the number assigned to it, the package will be downloaded automat- ically, and installed, using the pkg_add(1) utility. It is also possible to change the category currently being examined, and to quit from the utility, simply by selecting the appropriate choices on the menu. ENVIRONMENT
The environment variables which govern the behavior of ftp(1) and pkg_add(1) are valid for bpm. SEE ALSO
ftp(1), pkg_add(1), uname(1) AUTHORS
The bpm utility was written by Alistair Crooks <agc@NetBSD.org>. BSD
August 3, 2007 BSD