Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Which Product to Choose?
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Which Product to Choose? Post 302985739 by wisecracker on Monday 14th of November 2016 04:58:43 PM
Old 11-14-2016
I am with Corona688 here.
I have messed with Linux since YGGDRASIL Fall '95 edition and tried out many until I hit Debian. This was the single most stable platform I have ever had. I could not make it crash and I hammer the hardware hard.
A close second was PCLinuxOS which was more user friendly.
I run Mint 17 at the moment but my other laptop is going to have the current Debian on it.
As for a development tool they all have gcc as a _builtin_ along with many other installed or ready to be DLed from the repositories.
Audacity is a standard install too.
There are small footprint Linux flavours, just do a Google...
Hope this helps...

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup of Product Database

HI, I know its scarey me asking this, but system is homegrown and I am just having fun, but at the same time dont want to have tooo much fun where the phrase "little knowledge is dangerous" perfectly fits my actions ;-). I have a couple of packages that are failing to be removed... #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Student37
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

TrustedMigration product ?

I'm running HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 I've got SOX auditors asking me if we have the TrustedMigration product. I don't know what that is and google isn't being helpful. Can you tell me what this product is (and what it is for) and how to know if my system is running it and/or prove that it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LisaS
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Product instalaltion detail

Hi all experts, I want to find out what oracle product has come with the server and their version detail. We have Solaris 10. Can you tell me what Unix command will full fill this requirement? Thanks, AJ -----Post Update----- please help -----Post Update----- please help guys (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ma466
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

choose y or n

Hi, I have written a choice based shell script some thing like this: if (y) execute code .... fi else if(n) terminating the problem with the above scripting is it will work as far as the options are y or n. but i want to reiterate the same code when the user inputs something else... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunrexstar
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum product of even/odd lines

Hi, I have a text file like this 6.0000E-02 0.00000E+00 0.0000 0.00000E+00 0.0000 7.0000E-02 5.00000E-10 1.0000 5.00000E-10 1.0000 8.0000E-02 3.00000E-09 0.4082 3.00000E-09 0.4082 9.0000E-02 3.50000E-09 0.3780 3.50000E-09 0.3780 1.0000E-01 1.00000E-09... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
2 Replies
LAPTOP_MODE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    LAPTOP_MODE(8)

NAME
/usr/sbin/laptop_mode - apply laptop mode settings SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/laptop_mode [ cmd ] [ force ] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the /usr/sbin/laptop_mode command. laptop_mode is a program that applies the settings given in the /etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf configuration file. The primary use is to control the laptop mode feature included in Linux kernels with versions 2.6.6 and higher, and 2.4.23 and higher. This feature increases battery life by letting your hard drive spin down. This is achieved by grouping disk write activity into "chunks" that are spaced at larger intervals than they normally would be. In addition to sup- porting the Linux kernel's laptop mode feature, /usr/sbin/laptop_mode also supports various power saving modules which are configured through configuration files in the /etc/laptop-mode/conf.d directory. It is not recommended to call /usr/sbin/laptop_mode directly to start or stop laptop mode, except in hardware event handlers. To apply new configuration settings from laptop-mode.conf, call the laptop-mode service init script with the reload parameter. COMMANDS
Specify force as the second parameter to force laptop_mode to re-apply a state even if the computer is already in that state. These are the values that are allowed for cmd : auto Enable or disable laptop mode based on the current power state. Note that this will not do anything if the laptop-mode service has not been started! status Display a status report about everything that laptop_mode affects. SEE ALSO
laptop-mode.conf(8). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Bart Samwel (bart@samwel.tk) for the Debian system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. LAPTOP_MODE(8)