Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Which Product to Choose?
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Which Product to Choose? Post 302985733 by abrogard on Monday 14th of November 2016 04:17:35 PM
Old 11-14-2016
Well I've got Mint running on it now. In fact this is it, I'm using it right now.

It's not a tiger. I suspect perhaps not as quick as XP was when I first put it on this board/cpu (call that a machine, maybe?) but it's quick enough, so far anyway.

We'll see how it goes when we get down the track a bit, audio and video processing.

What it is doing is settling down my mind considerably. That creaking on XP install had me nervous about another hangup all the time.

I began to shun the machine.

Nice to be back on it. It has a good monitor and keyboard.

Nice to be back with Linux again, too, after 20 years. Not that you'd know it nowadays with the GUI, looks just like Windows. But I guess the underlying C will begin to manifest as I go further....

I look forward to it...

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup of Product Database

HI, I know its scarey me asking this, but system is homegrown and I am just having fun, but at the same time dont want to have tooo much fun where the phrase "little knowledge is dangerous" perfectly fits my actions ;-). I have a couple of packages that are failing to be removed... #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Student37
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

TrustedMigration product ?

I'm running HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 I've got SOX auditors asking me if we have the TrustedMigration product. I don't know what that is and google isn't being helpful. Can you tell me what this product is (and what it is for) and how to know if my system is running it and/or prove that it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LisaS
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Product instalaltion detail

Hi all experts, I want to find out what oracle product has come with the server and their version detail. We have Solaris 10. Can you tell me what Unix command will full fill this requirement? Thanks, AJ -----Post Update----- please help -----Post Update----- please help guys (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ma466
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

choose y or n

Hi, I have written a choice based shell script some thing like this: if (y) execute code .... fi else if(n) terminating the problem with the above scripting is it will work as far as the options are y or n. but i want to reiterate the same code when the user inputs something else... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunrexstar
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum product of even/odd lines

Hi, I have a text file like this 6.0000E-02 0.00000E+00 0.0000 0.00000E+00 0.0000 7.0000E-02 5.00000E-10 1.0000 5.00000E-10 1.0000 8.0000E-02 3.00000E-09 0.4082 3.00000E-09 0.4082 9.0000E-02 3.50000E-09 0.3780 3.50000E-09 0.3780 1.0000E-01 1.00000E-09... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
2 Replies
condor_drain(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   condor_drain(1)

Name
       condor_drain Control - draining of an execute machine

Synopsis
       condor_drain [-help]

condor_drain[-debug] [-pool pool-name] [-graceful | -quick | -fast] [-resume-on-completion] [-check expr] machine-name

condor_drain[-debug] [-pool pool-name] -cancel[-request-id id] machine-name

Description
       condor_drainis  an  administrative  command used to control the draining of all slots on an execute machine. When a machine is draining, it
       will not accept any new jobs. Which machine to drain is specified by the argument machine-name, and will be the same as the machine ClassAd
       attribute  Machine .

How currently running jobs are treated depends on the draining schedule that is chosen with a command-line option:

-graceful

Initiate  a  graceful  eviction of the job. This means all promises that have been made to the job are honored, including  MaxJobRetire-
	  mentTime . The eviction of jobs is coordinated to reduce idle time. This means that if one slot has a job with a  long  retirement  time
	  and  the other slots have jobs with shorter retirement times, the effective retirement time for all of the jobs is the longer one. If no
	  draining schedule is specified, -gracefulis chosen by default.

-quick

MaxJobRetirementTime is not honored. Eviction of jobs is immediately initiated. Jobs are given time to  shut	down  and  produce  check-
	  points, according to the usual policy, that is, given by  MachineMaxVacateTime .

-fast

Jobs are immediately hard-killed, with no chance to gracefully shut down or produce a checkpoint.

Once draining is complete, the machine will enter the Drained/Idle state. To resume normal operation (negotiation) at that time or any pre-
       vious time during draining, the -canceloption may be used. The -resume-on-completionoption results in automatic resumption of normal opera-
       tion once draining has completed, and may be used when initiating draining. This is useful for forcing a machine with a partitionable slots
       to join all of the resources back together into one machine, facilitating de-fragmentation and whole machine negotiation.

Options
       -help

Display brief usage information and exit.

-debug

Causes debugging information to be sent to  stderr , based on the value of the configuration variable  TOOL_DEBUG

-pool pool-name

Specify an alternate Condor pool, if the default one is not desired.

-graceful

(the default) Honor the maximum vacate and retirement time policy.

-quick

Honor the maximum vacate time, but not the retirement time policy.

-fast

Honor neither the maximum vacate time policy nor the retirement time policy.

-resume-on-completion

When done draining, resume normal operation, such that potentially the whole machine could be claimed.

-check expr

Abort draining, if  expr is not true for all slots to be drained.

-cancel

Cancel a prior draining request, to permit the condor_negotiatorto use the machine again.

-request-id id

Specify a specific draining request to cancel, where idis given by the  DrainingRequestId machine ClassAd attribute.

Exit Status
       condor_drainwill exit with a non-zero status value if it fails and zero status if it succeeds.

Author
       Condor Team, University of Wisconsin-Madison

Copyright
       Copyright (C) 1990-2012 Condor Team, Computer Sciences Department, University of  Wisconsin-Madison,  Madison,  WI.  All  Rights  Reserved.
       Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0.

See the Condor Version 7.8.2 Manualor http://www.condorproject.org/licensefor additional notices. condor-admin@cs.wisc.edu

September 2012						   condor_drain(1)