Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers (g)awk conditional substitution issues when attempting to delete character Post 302985732 by RudiC on Monday 14th of November 2016 04:08:04 PM
Old 11-14-2016
This seems to work for me:
Code:
awk '$9 ~ "^.W[^H]=*\[$" {X=$9; sub(/W/, "", X); sub ($9 "[]", X " ", $0)} 1' file
IKON01,49 A WA-                                 -1 .       -1 .           0 W               WA-                                 -1 .        -1 .         0 .     -1 .        -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 W
IKON01,49 A J.@QU80MW.                           2 !J.@!    0 .           0 QM[             QUM                                  7 [W.       0 .         0 .      0 .         0 11  3  3  2 -1 JQMW
IKON01,49 A K.@L&                               -1 .       -1 .          -6 KL/             K.@L                                -1 .         1 /         0 .      0 .        -1 -1 -1  1  2  1 KL

We're making the field ending "[" part of a "bracket expression" (c.f. man regex) by treating itself as the opening bracket, adding the char (the "[") and the closing bracket as char constants in the second sub statement. We need to add a space when substituting $9 to maintain the filed length and thus the $0 formatting.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

character substitution

Hi , I have a problem , I need to devlope a script where in the user inputs file name , line number , and character position , and a substitution variable , the character at that character position should be substituted by the substitution value for ex say i have a file abc.txt which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: viv1
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed character substitution

Hi I have to replace in around 60 files a word an replcae it by another Suppose all the files have a word intelligent i want to replace it by idiot I am planning to use sed for executing this job sed 's/\intelligent/idiot/g' I plan to have a file (test.txt) which contains... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete character in determinate position with sed/awk

Hello. I'm trying to delete one character in determinate position. Example: qwEtsdf123Ecv34 <delete character in positión 3> Result: qwtsdf123Ecv34 Plase, help me. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maria_florencia
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH: substitution character, AWK or SED?

Hi Gurus, I am working with a korn shell script. I should replace in a very great file the character ";" with a space. Example: 2750;~ 2734;~ 2778;~ 2751;~ 2751;~ 2752;~ what the fastest method is? Sed? Awk? Speed is dead main point, Seen the dimensions of the files Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: GERMANICO
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

any savant ? using AWK/SED to remove newline character between two strings : conditional removal

I'd like to remove (do a pattern or precise replacement - this I can handle in SED using Regex ) ---AFTER THE 1ST Occurrence ( i.e. on the 2nd occurrence - from the 2nd to fourth occurance ) of a specific string : type 1 -- After the 1st occurrence of 1 string1 till the 1st occurrence of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sieger007
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk delete character in the lines before and after the matching line

Sample file: This is line one, this is another line, this is the PRIMARY INDEX line l ; This is another line The command should find the line with “PRIMARY INDEX” and remove the last character from the line preceding it (in this case , comma) and remove the first character from the line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KC_Rules
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete a character using sed and or awk?

Hi, 1/ i have file test.txt 1 Jul 28 08:35:29 2014-07-28 Root::UserA 1 Jul 28 08:36:44 2014-07-28 Root::UserB i want to delete the seconds of the file, and the Root:: and the output will be: 1 Jul 28 08:35 2014-07-28 UserA 1 Jul 28 08:36 2014-07-28 UserB 2/i have another file test2.txt:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fxsme
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bad substitution issues.. but why?

i am trying to prepare a train and test dataset, for which i need to randomly split the data into corresponding folders (train,test).. I began on a simple script, but seem to get som weird error messages, that i cannot make sense of?.. what am I doing wrong? #!/bin/bash RED='\033] then... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: kidi
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditional delete

Hi Friends, I have somefiles like 20180720_1812.tar.gz 20180720_1912.tar.gz 20180720_2012.tar.gz 20180720_2112.tar.gz 20180721_0012.tar.gz 20180721_0112.tar.gz 20180721_0212.tar.gz 20180721_0312.tar.gz in a directory and so on..these files gets created every 3 hours where as... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: onenessboy
28 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditional delete -- New glitch

Hi Please dont consider this as duplicated post.. I am using below pattern to find delete files to bringdown disc size.. however how i can make sure ist going to correct folder and searching for files... while print "echo rm " LastFile correctly print files names for deletion, but when i... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: onenessboy
7 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)