Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Insert character at specific location in a each line of the file Post 302985729 by greet_sed on Monday 14th of November 2016 02:26:49 PM
Old 11-14-2016
Hi,

IMO, command you have tried looks good Smilie
This User Gave Thanks to greet_sed For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert lines at specific location in file

Hi There I have this file that I would like to add entries to, however, there is a "}" as the last line that I need to keep. Basically i would like to know how I can write a script that will add new lines at the second to last line position (ie always add new line above the close bracket) ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
17 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert 2 lines in a file at a specific location

Hi, I need to insert two new lines in a file: The file: "..... ...... ULIMIT_MAX_FILES="ulimit -S -n `ulimit -H -n`" .... .... " I need to add the lines: LD_LIBRARY_PATH='$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$APACHE_HOME/modules' DOWNLOADMODULE_CONF_PATHNAME='$APACHE_HOME/conf/DWLModule.cfg' right... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: potro
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace, insert n times a specific character

How can using Vim, replace one character with another repeating it 10 times? Ex.: Transforming this: 125A986 That: 125##########986 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: IJNeves
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert character in a specific position of a file

Hi, I need to add Pipe (|) at 5th and 18th position of all records a file. How can I do this? I tried to add it at 5th position using the below code. It didnt work. Please help!!! awk '{substr($0,5,1) ~ /|/}{print}' $input_file > $temp_file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gpaulose
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with replace character based on specific location

Hi, I got long list of reference file (column one is refer to the header in input file; column 2 is info of start position in input file; column 3 is info of end position in input file;) shown as below: read_2 10 15 read_3 5 8 read_1 4 10 . . . Input file (huge file with total... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text line to specific location CSV

In Perl. ***edited question below*** Hey all, I am teaching myself some simple CSV file manipulation and have become a little stuck. Say I have the following layout in the CSV file: age,name,locationIs it possible to INSERT data into the CSV into the correct age order. For example, if I had... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: whyte_rhyno
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Insert a file at specific line

Hi, Anyone can help me in Solaris command on how to insert a file at specific line. I want file1.sql content to be inserted on file2.sh after "recover database using backup controlfile until cancel". # file1.sql /archivelogs/927_822338133.arc /archivelogs/671_822338107.arc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing last character of a specific line from a file

Hello guys, I would need to remove the last character ")" of a specific line. This can be from any line. Your help is appreciated. Below is the line. HOSTNAME=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)) Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sang8g
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to insert new line after a specific character in scripts?

Hi, I'm trying to add a new line after finding a specific String. That is my string: volumes: - ${DIR_WORK}/loadbalancer/html:/var/www/html and I want to change that file to: volumes: - ${DIR_WORK}/loadbalancer/html:/var/www/html extra_hosts: -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siamak
4 Replies
STR_WORD_COUNT(3)							 1							 STR_WORD_COUNT(3)

str_word_count - Return information about words used in a string

SYNOPSIS
mixed str_word_count (string $string, [int $format], [string $charlist]) DESCRIPTION
Counts the number of words inside $string. If the optional $format is not specified, then the return value will be an integer representing the number of words found. In the event the $format is specified, the return value will be an array, content of which is dependent on the $format. The possible value for the $format and the resultant outputs are listed below. For the purpose of this function, 'word' is defined as a locale dependent string containing alphabetic characters, which also may contain, but not start with "'" and "-" characters. PARAMETERS
o $string - The string o $format - Specify the return value of this function. The current supported values are: o 0 - returns the number of words found o 1 - returns an array containing all the words found inside the $string o 2 - returns an associative array, where the key is the numeric position of the word inside the $string and the value is the actual word itself o $charlist - A list of additional characters which will be considered as 'word' RETURN VALUES
Returns an array or an integer, depending on the $format chosen. CHANGELOG
+--------+--------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+--------------------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | Added the $charlist parameter | | | | +--------+--------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 A str_word_count(3) example <?php $str = "Hello fri3nd, you're looking good today!"; print_r(str_word_count($str, 1)); print_r(str_word_count($str, 2)); print_r(str_word_count($str, 1, 'aaac3')); echo str_word_count($str); ?> The above example will output: Array ( [0] => Hello [1] => fri [2] => nd [3] => you're [4] => looking [5] => good [6] => today ) Array ( [0] => Hello [6] => fri [10] => nd [14] => you're [29] => looking [46] => good [51] => today ) Array ( [0] => Hello [1] => fri3nd [2] => you're [3] => looking [4] => good [5] => today ) 7 SEE ALSO
explode(3), preg_split(3), split(3), count_chars(3), substr_count(3). PHP Documentation Group STR_WORD_COUNT(3)