Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Which Product to Choose?
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Which Product to Choose? Post 302985709 by Corona688 on Monday 14th of November 2016 11:34:54 AM
Old 11-14-2016
First, about that XP machine. The OS's job is to stay out of the way 99% of the time while programs sit there and run; a better OS doesn't make programs run faster, just does a better job of staying out of the way. So if Windows XP doesn't have the power to do something on your hardware, neither does UNIX. I made the same mistake a long time ago, trying to install a modern Linux distro on a Pentium (no II, III, IV, or D). 32 megs of RAM. It swapped like a wounded moth Smilie

Further, distro's advertised as "easy" are aimed at modern consumer PC specs and have grown-up resource requirements. Install that loadout on an old computer(Anything with an XP sticker is likely 10-15 years old) and it will be sucking sand. Your best bet for that kind of distro is to install on a computer one or two models behind - old enough its hardware is well-supported, but not so old that its performance is poor.

What Linux is better at than Windows, I think -- even in the era of quad-core computers - is sharing processing power so things don't lag out as much. Linux couldn't do miracles with my ancient, dismal Duron, but it could run a compile and an MP3 player at the same time without stuttering.

If you want a general purpose Windows like experience with a lot of default choices made for you, try Ubuntu. If you want to build a super lean task-specific machine, try Debian.

Last edited by Corona688; 11-14-2016 at 12:41 PM..

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup of Product Database

HI, I know its scarey me asking this, but system is homegrown and I am just having fun, but at the same time dont want to have tooo much fun where the phrase "little knowledge is dangerous" perfectly fits my actions ;-). I have a couple of packages that are failing to be removed... #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Student37
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

TrustedMigration product ?

I'm running HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 I've got SOX auditors asking me if we have the TrustedMigration product. I don't know what that is and google isn't being helpful. Can you tell me what this product is (and what it is for) and how to know if my system is running it and/or prove that it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LisaS
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Product instalaltion detail

Hi all experts, I want to find out what oracle product has come with the server and their version detail. We have Solaris 10. Can you tell me what Unix command will full fill this requirement? Thanks, AJ -----Post Update----- please help -----Post Update----- please help guys (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ma466
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

choose y or n

Hi, I have written a choice based shell script some thing like this: if (y) execute code .... fi else if(n) terminating the problem with the above scripting is it will work as far as the options are y or n. but i want to reiterate the same code when the user inputs something else... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunrexstar
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum product of even/odd lines

Hi, I have a text file like this 6.0000E-02 0.00000E+00 0.0000 0.00000E+00 0.0000 7.0000E-02 5.00000E-10 1.0000 5.00000E-10 1.0000 8.0000E-02 3.00000E-09 0.4082 3.00000E-09 0.4082 9.0000E-02 3.50000E-09 0.3780 3.50000E-09 0.3780 1.0000E-01 1.00000E-09... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
2 Replies
Inline-Support(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 Inline-Support(3)

NAME
Inline-Support - Support Information for Inline.pm and related modules. DESCRIPTION
This document contains all of the latest support information for "Inline.pm" and the recognized Inline Language Support Modules (ILSMs) available on CPAN. SUPPORTED LANGUAGES
The most important language that Inline supports is "C". That is because Perl itself is written in "C". By giving a your Perl scripts access to "C", you in effect give them access to the entire glorious internals of Perl. (Caveat scriptor :-) As of this writing, Inline also supports: - C++ - Java - Python - Tcl - Assembly - CPR - And even Inline::Foo! :) Projects that I would most like to see happen in the year 2001 are: - Fortran - Ruby - Lisp - Guile - Bash - Perl4 SUPPORTED PLATFORMS
"Inline::C" should work anywhere that CPAN extension modules (those that use XS) can be installed, using the typical install format of: perl Makefile.PL make make test make install It has been tested on many Unix and Windows variants. NOTE: "Inline::C" requires Perl 5.005 or higher because "Parse::RecDescent" requires it. (Something to do with the "qr" operator) Inline has been successfully tested at one time or another on the following platforms: Linux Solaris SunOS HPUX AIX FreeBSD OpenBSD BeOS OS X WinNT Win2K WinME Win98 Cygwin The Microsoft tests deserve a little more explanation. I used the following: Windows NT 4.0 (service pack 6) Perl 5.005_03 (ActiveState build 522) MS Visual C++ 6.0 The "nmake" make utility (distributed w/ Visual C++) "Inline::C" pulls all of its base configuration (including which "make" utility to use) from "Config.pm". Since your MSWin32 version of Perl probably came from ActiveState (as a binary distribution) the "Config.pm" will indicate that "nmake" is the system's "make" utility. That is because ActiveState uses Visual C++ to compile Perl. To install "Inline.pm" (or any other CPAN module) on MSWin32 w/ Visual C++, use these: perl Makefile.PL nmake nmake test nmake install Inline has also been made to work with Mingw32/gcc on all Windows platforms. This is a free compiler for Windows. You must also use a perl built with that compiler. The "Cygwin" test was done on a Windows 98 machine using the Cygwin Unix/Win32 porting layer software from Cygnus. The "perl" binary on this machine was also compiled using the Cygwin tool set ("gcc"). This software is freely available from http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/ If you get Inline to work on a new platform, please send me email email. If it doesn't work, let me know as well and I'll see what can be done. SEE ALSO
For general information about Inline see Inline. For information about using Inline with C see Inline::C. For sample programs using Inline with C see Inline::C-Cookbook. For information on writing your own Inline Language Support Module, see Inline-API. Inline's mailing list is inline@perl.org To subscribe, send email to inline-subscribe@perl.org AUTHOR
Brian Ingerson <INGY@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2000, 2001, 2002. Brian Ingerson. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See http://www.perl.com/perl/misc/Artistic.html perl v5.12.1 2010-01-27 Inline-Support(3)