Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Comparing same column from two files, printing whole row with matching values Post 302985562 by RudiC on Friday 11th of November 2016 09:08:19 AM
Old 11-11-2016
Do you know the difference between printf (your comment in post#3) and print?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

regarding about printing row to column

Hello, I got data like that, =111 A= alpha B= 1 C= qq D= 45 F= ss G= 334 =1234 A= B= 2w C= D= 443 F= G= =3434 A= B= e3e (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidkhan
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two files and printing 2nd column if match found

Hi guys, I'm rather new at using UNIX based systems, and when it comes to scripting etc I'm even newer. I have two files which i need to compare. file1: (some random ID's) 451245 451288 136588 784522 file2: (random ID's + e-mail assigned to ID) 123888 xc@xc.com 451245 ... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: spirm8
21 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing the 2nd column in two different files and printing corresponding 9th columns in new file

Dear Gurus, I am very new to UNIX. I appreciate your help to manage my files. I have 16 files with equal number of columns in it. Each file has 9 columns separated by space. I need to compare the values in the second column of first file and obtain the corresponding value in the 9th column... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing entire field, if at least one row is matching by AWK

Dear all, I have been trying to print an entire field, if the first line of the field is matching. For example, my input looks something like this. aaa ddd zzz 123 987 126 24 0.650 985 354 9864 0.32 0.333 4324 000 I am looking for a pattern,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chulamakuri
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing two text files by a column and printing values that do not match

I have two text files where the first three columns are exactly the same. I want to compare the fourth column of the text files and if the values are different, print that row into a new output file. How do I go about doing that? File 1: 100 rs3794811 0.01 0.3434 100 rs8066551 0.01... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing two test files and printing out the values that do not match

Hi, I have two text files with matching first columns. Some of the values in the second column do not match. I want to write a script to print out the rows (only the first column) where the values in the second column do not match. Example: Input 1 A 1 B 2 C 3 D 4 Input 2 A 2 B 2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print every 5 4th column values as separate row with different first column

Hi, I have the following file, chr1 100 200 20 chr1 201 300 22 chr1 220 345 23 chr1 230 456 33.5 chr1 243 567 90 chr1 345 600 20 chr1 430 619 21.78 chr1 870 910 112.3 chr1 914 920 12 chr1 930 999 13 My output would be peak1 20 22 23 33.5 90 peak2 20 21.78 112.3 12 13 Here the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two files on row by row and send the report

Comparing two files on row by row File1 ecount~100 dcount~200 ccount~300 zxcscount~5000 and so on. File2 ecount~100 dcount~203 ccount~300 zxcscount~5000 and so on. If i use diff command (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onesuri
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Comparing arguments with in line values of file and printing the result

I need to develop a script where I will take two date arguments as parameter date1 and date2 which will in format YYYYMM. Below is the input file say sample.txt. sample.txt will have certain blocks starting with P1. Each block will have a value 118,1:TIMESTAMP. I need to compare the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: garvit184
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Concatenate column values when header is Matching from multiple files

there can be n number of columns but the number of columns and header name will remain same in all 3 files. Files are tab Delimited. a.txt Name 9/1 9/2 X 1 7 y 2 8 z 3 9 a 4 10 b 5 11 c 6 12 b.xt Name 9/1 9/2 X 13 19 y 14 20 z 15 21 a 16 22 b 17 23 c 18 24 c.txt Name 9/1 9/2... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nina2910
14 Replies
mcs(1)								   User Commands							    mcs(1)

NAME
mcs - manipulate the comment section of an object file SYNOPSIS
mcs [-cdpVz] [-a string] [-n name] file... DESCRIPTION
The mcs command is used to manipulate a section, by default the .comment section, in an ELF object file. It is used to add to, delete, print, and compress the contents of a section in an ELF object file, and print only the contents of a section in a COFF object file. mcs cannot add, delete, or compress the contents of a section that is contained within a segment. If the input file is an archive (see ar.h(3HEAD)), the archive is treated as a set of individual files. For example, if the -a option is specified, the string is appended to the comment section of each ELF object file in the archive; if the archive member is not an ELF object file, then it is left unchanged. mcs must be given one or more of the options described below. It applies, in order, each of the specified options to each file. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a string Appends string to the comment section of the ELF object files. If string contains embedded blanks, it must be enclosed in quotation marks. -c Compresses the contents of the comment section of the ELF object files. All duplicate entries are removed. The ordering of the remaining entries is not disturbed. -d Deletes the contents of the comment section from the ELF object files. The section header for the comment section is also removed. -n name Specifies the name of the comment section to access if other than .comment. By default, mcs deals with the section named .comment. This option can be used to specify another section. mcs can take multiple -n options to allow for specification of multiple section comments. -p Prints the contents of the comment section on the standard output. Each section printed is tagged by the name of the file from which it was extracted, using the format file[member_name]: for archive files and file: for other files. -V Prints on standard error the version number of mcs. -z Replaces any SHT_PROGBITS sections with zeros while retaining the original attributes of the sections. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Printing a file's comment section The following entry example% mcs -p elf.file prints the comment section of the file elf.file. Example 2: Appending a string to a comment section The following entry example% mcs -a xyz elf.file appends string xyz to elf.file's comment section. FILES
/tmp/mcs* temporary files ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWbtool | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ar(1), as(1), ld(1), ar.h(3HEAD), elf(3ELF), tmpnam(3C), a.out(4), attributes(5) NOTES
When mcs deletes a section using the -d option, it tries to bind together sections of type SHT_REL and target sections pointed to by the sh_info section header field. If one is to be deleted, mcs attempts to delete the other of the pair. By using the -z option, it is possible to make an object file by removing the contents of SHT_PROGBITS sections while retaining the object file's original structure as an ELF file. The need for use of the -z option is limited. However, the option can be used to deliver an object file when the contents of SHT_PROGBITS sections are not relevant. SunOS 5.10 1 Apr 2004 mcs(1)