Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cron job that checks for new/recent files Post 302985492 by DavidHoffman on Thursday 10th of November 2016 09:08:16 AM
Old 11-10-2016
Cron job that checks for new/recent files

I'm new to shell scripting, and I want to set up a cron job that scans the date/time stamp of all files in a directory, and then if any file is, say, less than 10 minutes old, I want it to execute a command on that file. What would be the best way to go about this? Thanks.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I'm using Ubuntu 16.04, bash shell.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

CRON-Job / Shell-Skript deleting special files

Just I'm trying to find script, which will do the following job: 1. as a CRON-Job it shoult a) delete files which will be either older than 24 hours or b) all files within a) a directory deleting recursive b) only a special directory. 2. write an error-/Delete_log... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ManfredWL
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CRON usage for CRON job

can anybody explain the usage of CRON for adding a cron job. please provide an example also for better understanding !!! Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
1 Replies

3. Solaris

cron job starts new cron proccess

I run cron in solaris 10 zone. One cron job which syncing files to nfs mounted on container, creates after finishing another cron proccess(/usr/sbin/cron), and after 100 existing cron proccesses next cron job will not start. It's too weird for me, I'm not able to solve this problem. Theoretically... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ron76
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron Job Config files

Hi All, I have created 2 shell scripts and set Cron jobs which runs it at various frequencies.The first one which runs every 2 minutes Monday to Friday and another cron job runs at 11PM on the last Sunday of every month. I have given the cron job entries below. Was wondering whether instead... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: valluvan
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron job to delete files

Hi everyone! I'm sorry, I'm a total noob but would really appreciate any advice or help. I want to create a cron job that would run every hour and would look inside a few different folders. If any new files were created within those folders within the last hour they would be destroyed, but any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jessn
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script that will be a cron job to export rrd files for cacti server

I wrote a quick little script that will eventually end up as a cron job to export rrd files for my cacti server. Here is the script: #!/bin/bash rm -rf /backup/cacti_xml/* cd /var/www/html/rra ls -1 *.rrd | awk '{print "rrdtool dump "$1" > /backup/cacti_xml/"$1".xml"}' | sh -x Is there... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheBigAmbulance
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cron job to extact lines from files to another file and ftp to new server

i have a text file in this format: which creates a new one everyday in the form of filename _zing__r200_2012_8_10_log.txt Fri Aug 10 07:29:17 EDT 2012, usera(192.168.0.245) to anotheruser: hey top, this is a private test Fri Aug 10 07:29:28 EDT 2012, anotheruser(192.168.0.245) to usera: got... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkkid
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Cron job running even after cron is removed

Hi , I have removed a cron for particular user , but cron job seems to be running even after the cron entry is removed. The purpose of the cron was to sendmail to user ( it uses mailx utility ) I have restarted cron and sendmail service still user is getting mail alerts from the cron job. And... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commented cron job -- cron monitoring

Hi I have a requirement to write a shell script,that will check the all commented job in cron job.Please help !! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netdbaind
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job - Need to run Cron every quarter at particular time

Hi, 1) If some job supposed to run on 1st of every month at 7 AM In cron job when we have a blackout on the 1st ( i.e when 1st falls on a sunday ) how can we make the job run the next business day? 2) How can we run a job on 25th of every quarter 7 AM(jan,apr,jul,oct) And if 25th... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)