Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Warning using 'find'.
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Warning using 'find'. Post 302985364 by wisecracker on Tuesday 8th of November 2016 01:17:12 PM
Old 11-08-2016
Warning using 'find'.

This is more of a discovery than a bug and for OSX 10.12.x, maybe earlier but I don't have them now.

Consider this code:-
Code:
		# Auto-find the correct path and "sox" file, but it WILL take a very long time...
		# NOTE: It searches from YOUR HOME directory structure only, just modify to suit your machine if 'SOX' is elsewhere.
		capturepath=$(find "$HOME" -name 'sox' 2>/dev/null)

This works perfectly with a virgin install of SOX, (in this case inside my $HOME directory).
I decided to install the latest version of SOX 14.4.2.
I then placed the original into the "Trash", that is "$HOME"/.Trash/ directory.
Next I launched "./AudioScope.sh" and as expected DEMO worked perfectly.
THEN; I decided to run the SOX command inside the code and the code literally crashed out.
The error report pointed to "$HOME/.Trash/sox-14.4.0/sox" so it looks as though the 'find' command searches the "$HOME"/.Trash/ directory also.
Unlike the AMIGA, OSX cannot run code from inside its Trashcan hence the total crashout.
So let this be a warning to others if you have a previous version of something in the Trashcan and another version elsewhere and you intend to find it using the 'find' command then EXPECT a bug as "$HOME"/.Trash/ is searched early in the scan.

I hope this is useful to others.

Bazza...

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Jumpstart -- Warning: Could not find matching rule in rules.ok

I just setup a new jumpstart server, and I'm having problems with rules.ok errors. I'm coming up blank after many Google searches, forum searches, etc..... This is the error I receive: Skipped interface e1000g1 Attempting to configure interface e1000g0... Configured interface e1000g0... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: christr
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command giving incomplete sentence warning

Hi , I am adding a line in my shell scripts to delete all the old directory with the below command. On running this command it is coming out with the message find: incomplete statement find /ersdg3/ERS/ERS_INPUT_LOGS/RIO/rio_archive -type d -mtime +47 -exec rm -rf {} What is wrong or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guddu_12
3 Replies
TRASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  TRASH(1)

NAME
trash - Command line trash utility. SYNOPSIS
trash [arguments] ... DESCRIPTION
Trash-cli package provides a command line interface trashcan utility compliant with the FreeDesktop.org Trash Specification. It remembers the name, original path, deletion date, and permissions of each trashed file. ARGUMENTS
Names of files or directory to move in the trashcan. EXAMPLES
$ cd /home/andrea/ $ touch foo bar $ trash foo bar BUGS
Report bugs to http://code.google.com/p/trash-cli/issues AUTHORS
Trash was written by Andrea Francia <andreafrancia@users.sourceforge.net> and Einar Orn Olason <eoo@hi.is>. This manual page was written by Steve Stalcup <vorian@ubuntu.com>. Changes made by Massimo Cavalleri <submax@tiscalinet.it>. SEE ALSO
trash-list(1), trash-restore(1), trash-empty(1), and the FreeDesktop.org Trash Specification at http://www.ramendik.ru/docs/trashspec.html. Both are released under the GNU General Public License, version 2 or later. TRASH(1)