Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacement of variable by their content in a file Post 302985116 by dae on Saturday 5th of November 2016 09:49:16 AM
Old 11-05-2016
Thanks to all of you ... Scrutinizer and RudiC, your suggestions are solving my problem ! Smilie
RudiC, I think your suggestion is quite similar to the Scrutinizer's proposal, right ? ... Maybe, is there an advantage that I can not see ?

Thanks again,

Didier.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting variable content to a file!

Hello! I'm having problems trying to extract the contents of a variable and placing it into a text file. Grateful for any help. Been trying something along the lines of: $variable > file.txt or `cat < $variable` > file.txt As you can see I'm a newbie to this :D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lloowen
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to assign the content of a file to a variable?

Hi all, I have a problem here. I have a file and let we take the content of the file is just '32' (only a numeric value in that file). Now I need to assign this numeric value ( value in that file) to a variable. Is that possible? If so, can you plz advice me on this? Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable of Content From Part of Other File

I may not being doing this description justice, but I'll give it a try. I created a mailx script; there will be several messages using the same script where the only difference is the content. So I figured I'd make the content of the message a variable retrieved from a separate file. I have five... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: royarellano
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put content of file into a variable?

For example, I have a simple text file note: this a note a simple note a very very simple notewhen I use this command, temp=$(cat "note.txt")then I echo temp, the result is in one line. echo $temp note: this a note a simple note a very very simple noteMy variable doesn't have newline. How... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 14th
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut the variable from the line and use it to find the file and read the content of that file

Hi, I am working on one script..I am having files in the below format file 1 (each line is separated with : delimeter) SPLASH:SPLASH:SVN CIB/MCH:MCH:SVN Now I want from file 1 that most left part of the first line will store in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit22hamirpur
6 Replies

6. HP-UX

XML tag name content replacement

Hi, Need to replace an XML tag name contents, please provide any suggestions. Scenario is : <abc_def>Value_some_content</abc_def> Expected output : <abc:def>Value_some_content</abc:def> We have many tag with different names & contents in a file or a string. Please help on the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: periyasamycse
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacement in file when line is in a variable

Hi, I have a file where I want to replace the 15th field separated by comma, only on specific lines matching lots of different conditions. I have managed to read the file line by line, within the loop my line is held in a variable called $line I assume this will be using sed (maybe... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpt123
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable resolution in File content

I have a file File1 containing lines like below apple ${FRUIT}-Color orange ${FRUIT}-Color banana ${FRUIT}-Color Now, in my shell I'm reading the file like below while read FRUIT DESC; do echo $FRUIT $DESC; done < File1 which outputs - apple ${FRUIT}-Color orange ${FRUIT}-Color... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nexional
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting ls content into a file using variable

hi i just cant figure out how can i do this ls -lt > log.txt using $PWD what i mean is how can i get the ls command content into a file using $PWD variable? :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinababy
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - replacement file path with variable - Escaping / character

Hi,, I have the line below in a file: $!VarSet |LFDSFN1| = '"E:\APC\Trials\20140705_427_Prototype Trial\Data\T4_20140705_Trial_Cycle_Data_13_T_Norm.txt" "VERSION=100 FILEEXT=\"*.txt\" FILEDESC=\"General Text\" "+""+"TITLE{SEARCH=NONE NAME=\"New Dataset\" LINE=1I want to write a script to change... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlr
2 Replies
slalsd.f(3)							      LAPACK							       slalsd.f(3)

NAME
slalsd.f - SYNOPSIS
Functions/Subroutines subroutine slalsd (UPLO, SMLSIZ, N, NRHS, D, E, B, LDB, RCOND, RANK, WORK, IWORK, INFO) SLALSD uses the singular value decomposition of A to solve the least squares problem. Function/Subroutine Documentation subroutine slalsd (characterUPLO, integerSMLSIZ, integerN, integerNRHS, real, dimension( * )D, real, dimension( * )E, real, dimension( ldb, * )B, integerLDB, realRCOND, integerRANK, real, dimension( * )WORK, integer, dimension( * )IWORK, integerINFO) SLALSD uses the singular value decomposition of A to solve the least squares problem. Purpose: SLALSD uses the singular value decomposition of A to solve the least squares problem of finding X to minimize the Euclidean norm of each column of A*X-B, where A is N-by-N upper bidiagonal, and X and B are N-by-NRHS. The solution X overwrites B. The singular values of A smaller than RCOND times the largest singular value are treated as zero in solving the least squares problem; in this case a minimum norm solution is returned. The actual singular values are returned in D in ascending order. This code makes very mild assumptions about floating point arithmetic. It will work on machines with a guard digit in add/subtract, or on those binary machines without guard digits which subtract like the Cray XMP, Cray YMP, Cray C 90, or Cray 2. It could conceivably fail on hexadecimal or decimal machines without guard digits, but we know of none. Parameters: UPLO UPLO is CHARACTER*1 = 'U': D and E define an upper bidiagonal matrix. = 'L': D and E define a lower bidiagonal matrix. SMLSIZ SMLSIZ is INTEGER The maximum size of the subproblems at the bottom of the computation tree. N N is INTEGER The dimension of the bidiagonal matrix. N >= 0. NRHS NRHS is INTEGER The number of columns of B. NRHS must be at least 1. D D is REAL array, dimension (N) On entry D contains the main diagonal of the bidiagonal matrix. On exit, if INFO = 0, D contains its singular values. E E is REAL array, dimension (N-1) Contains the super-diagonal entries of the bidiagonal matrix. On exit, E has been destroyed. B B is REAL array, dimension (LDB,NRHS) On input, B contains the right hand sides of the least squares problem. On output, B contains the solution X. LDB LDB is INTEGER The leading dimension of B in the calling subprogram. LDB must be at least max(1,N). RCOND RCOND is REAL The singular values of A less than or equal to RCOND times the largest singular value are treated as zero in solving the least squares problem. If RCOND is negative, machine precision is used instead. For example, if diag(S)*X=B were the least squares problem, where diag(S) is a diagonal matrix of singular values, the solution would be X(i) = B(i) / S(i) if S(i) is greater than RCOND*max(S), and X(i) = 0 if S(i) is less than or equal to RCOND*max(S). RANK RANK is INTEGER The number of singular values of A greater than RCOND times the largest singular value. WORK WORK is REAL array, dimension at least (9*N + 2*N*SMLSIZ + 8*N*NLVL + N*NRHS + (SMLSIZ+1)**2), where NLVL = max(0, INT(log_2 (N/(SMLSIZ+1))) + 1). IWORK IWORK is INTEGER array, dimension at least (3*N*NLVL + 11*N) INFO INFO is INTEGER = 0: successful exit. < 0: if INFO = -i, the i-th argument had an illegal value. > 0: The algorithm failed to compute a singular value while working on the submatrix lying in rows and columns INFO/(N+1) through MOD(INFO,N+1). Author: Univ. of Tennessee Univ. of California Berkeley Univ. of Colorado Denver NAG Ltd. Date: September 2012 Contributors: Ming Gu and Ren-Cang Li, Computer Science Division, University of California at Berkeley, USA Osni Marques, LBNL/NERSC, USA Definition at line 179 of file slalsd.f. Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for LAPACK from the source code. Version 3.4.2 Tue Sep 25 2012 slalsd.f(3)