Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: HP C8000 with HP-UX 10.20
Operating Systems HP-UX HP C8000 with HP-UX 10.20 Post 302984833 by darkox on Tuesday 1st of November 2016 09:10:51 AM
Old 11-01-2016
Hammer & Screwdriver HP C8000 with HP-UX 10.20

Hi all,

I know that this will sound like from stone age but I am still using couple B180L and B2600 boxes running with HP-UX 10.20 Ace5.

Recently I got perfect condition HP C8000 workstation and just wondering if I can run it with 10.20?

All specs saying min requirements are 11i, however I am sure I've seen post somewhere before that it is possible to build 10.20 on this machine. Maybe I was dreaming?

Tried to cold install 10.20 and got the following results:

Booting...
HARD Booted.
ISL Revision A.00.38 OCT 26, 1994 (oh god, that's old...)
ISL booting hpux (;0):INSTALL

Then after couple seconds screens refreshed with the following message:
ISL> S/N 113-99006-103 BIOS

and just got ISL console. Unfortunately, I am not experienced enough to benefit from ISL console...

Is it a sign that workstation is not compatible or there is a way which I am not aware of to install 10.20 on C8000?

Any comments appreciated.

Thank you.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

HP UX 11i and HP C8000

Hey, i want install HP UX 11i on HP C8000. When i start the C8000 i get a prompt. On this Prompt i write BOot P1 P1 is my DVD-ROM (IDE). I get the Message "ERROR: Not a boot path". When i write SEArch the Prompt said: P0 scsiA.6 HP73.4MAT3073NP P1 ide.1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: numx
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Help needed HP UX 11.11i new install on C8000 Desktop messaging system error CAN'T FIX

Hi, I have a HP UX C8000 box , have installed 11.11i from 4 x cds numerous times to try to get a functioning Network or to try and get rid of this error on start up, after new install and 1st startup I get an error "The desktop messaging system could not be started" and then advice about... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: C8000
12 Replies
console(7D)							      Devices							       console(7D)

NAME
console - STREAMS-based console interface SYNOPSIS
/dev/console DESCRIPTION
The file /dev/console refers to the system console device. /dev/console should be used for interactive purposes only. Use of /dev/console for logging purposes is discouraged; syslog(3C) or msglog(7D) should be used instead. The identity of this device depends on the EEPROM or NVRAM settings in effect at the most recent system reboot; by default, it is the ``workstation console'' device consisting of the workstation keyboard and frame buffer acting in concert to emulate an ASCII terminal (see wscons(7D)). Regardless of the system configuration, the console device provides asynchronous serial driver semantics so that, in conjunction with the STREAMS line discipline module ldterm(7M), it supports the termio(7I) terminal interface. SEE ALSO
syslog(3C), termios(3C), ldterm(7M), termio(7I), msglog(7D), wscons(7D) NOTES
In contrast to pre-SunOS 5.0 releases, it is no longer possible to redirect I/O intended for /dev/console to some other device. Instead, redirection now applies to the workstation console device using a revised programming interface (see wscons(7D)). Since the system console is normally configured to be the work station console, the overall effect is largely unchanged from previous releases. See wscons(7D) for detailed descriptions of control sequence syntax, ANSI control functions, control character functions and escape sequence functions. SunOS 5.11 23 Apr 1999 console(7D)