Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Cannot login to SMB Server/Authentication denied Post 302984830 by Zorken on Tuesday 1st of November 2016 04:19:04 PM
Old 11-01-2016
I tried following a similar troubleshooting guide in the document mentioned in my first post but I will go through the one you provided as well when I get home.

Just to make sure I haven't set everything up with wrong assumptions, what would be the best "mode" for smb to run in?

As mentioned earlier this is a home server connected to a normal home router. For smb, it is mainly serving a windows computer, some music players and the occasional surfpad or mobile phone. I do not have or use any AD server or LDAP. So the Solaris machine is very much a stand alone server.
I have assumed that I should run smb in workgroup mode and use idmu.
Is this correct or should my approach be different?
How should I go about/what strategy should I have configuring smb in my use case?

Skickat från min D5803 via Tapatalk

---------- Post updated at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:13 PM ----------

SOLVED! Smilie

directory_based_mapping shall NOT be set to idmu, but to none for my usecase as a stand alone server.

I set it using:
Code:
# svccfg -s svc:/system/idmap setprop config/directory_based_mapping = astring: none

and then restarted idmap and smb and everything worked as it should immediately.

For reference to others:
I compared the smb manifest and method files against a backup of the previous installation and they were as far as I could tell an exact match.
That together with the problem seeming to revolve around credentials got me to start reading up on how smb handles logins, samba security modes and identity mapping and found a quite good samba manual/guide in the docs section at samba.org that mentioned that idmap was not relevant when running a stand alone server using workgroups.

And after that things worked itself out relatively quickly. Smilie

Thanks for the help and things to try, it really helped me look for the right clues leading up to the solution!

Last edited by Zorken; 11-01-2016 at 02:29 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Zorken For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Login Authentication Prob SCO 504

I have a problem on a SCO Unix504 box where no user with a setr password is allowed to login. When you enter a username with-out a password and press enter you are allowed to login, when using a name with a password it skips the password entry line and gives the message Incorrect password. This... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jant
0 Replies

2. Red Hat

USER denied login as OUT OF DISK SPACE

Hi, I am trying to install Oracle 11g R2 on Oracle Enterprise Linux (5.4 version, which is basically some Redhat version). I have created oracle user, when I tried installing, the installer erred out saying there is no enough space. I logged out and when I logged in back, user oracle was... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruparan18
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Account is locked or login administratively denied

Hi, When I am trying to do ssh to a server it shows below error. Key setup is all good and it used to work well few days back. Now suddenly I am getting this error. ssh -i <private_key> <id>@<hostname> Received disconnect from <hostname> Account is locked or login administratively... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahish20
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

microsoft Server 2008 Active authentication to a linux server

Hi, Please could someone advise I'm trying to use winscp from a Window server 2008 R2, but i need to add the authentication key to access the linux rh 5.4 servers ? What is the best way of approaching this ? If there are any web links that could help me do this, that would be good. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venhart
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Unable to login password less authentication

Hi, I am facing strange problem in solaris 10. My requirement is that on server A using user test, any user which is created on Server B will be able to login wihtout password (ssh) from Server A All the users which are on Server B are able able to login from Server A using test user. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PAM Login denied

Hi All, While I was trying to login to the console of my machine I got the following error messages :: body { margin: 0 0 0 0; padding:0 0 0 0 }td,div { font-family:Tahoma;font-size:8pt;vertical-align:top }/* Copyright IBM Corp. 2011 All Rights Reserved. */body { margin:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pkumar Sachin
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passwordless Authentication and Anonymous login

Hi, I am in the process FTPing some of my report files from my production server to another FTP server through batch/Shell Script. This is working fine with the password less authentication. Once i place all my report files in the ftp server the end users need to download ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Showdown
3 Replies

8. Solaris

/network/smb/server goes into maintenance mode.

All I'm running an OpenSolaris system (Nexenta). When doing a svcs I see that/network/smb/server is in maintenance mode. I have run a clear on the service and restarted. I see the same service show online* for a bit but then, enters maintenance every time. In the service log I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcpatriot
2 Replies
SMBGET(1)							   User Commands							 SMBGET(1)

NAME
smbget - wget-like utility for download files over SMB SYNOPSIS
smbget [-a, --guest] [-r, --resume] [-R, --recursive] [-u, --username=STRING] [-p, --password=STRING] [-w, --workgroup=STRING] [-n, --nonprompt] [-d, --debuglevel=INT] [-D, --dots] [-P, --keep-permissions] [-o, --outputfile] [-f, --rcfile] [-q, --quiet] [-v, --verbose] [-b, --blocksize] [-?, --help] [--usage] {smb://host/share/path/to/file} [smb://url2/] [...] DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the samba(7) suite. smbget is a simple utility with wget-like semantics, that can download files from SMB servers. You can specify the files you would like to download on the command-line. The files should be in the smb-URL standard, e.g. use smb://host/share/file for the UNC path \\HOST\SHARE\file. OPTIONS
-a, --guest Work as user guest -r, --resume Automatically resume aborted files -R, --recursive Recursively download files -u, --username=STRING Username to use -p, --password=STRING Password to use -w, --workgroup=STRING Workgroup to use (optional) -n, --nonprompt Don't ask anything (non-interactive) -d, --debuglevel=INT Debuglevel to use -D, --dots Show dots as progress indication -P, --keep-permissions Set same permissions on local file as are set on remote file. -o, --outputfile Write the file that is being download to the specified file. Can not be used together with -R. -f, --rcfile Use specified rcfile. This will be loaded in the order it was specified - e.g. if you specify any options before this one, they might get overriden by the contents of the rcfile. -q, --quiet Be quiet -v, --verbose Be verbose -b, --blocksize Number of bytes to download in a block. Defaults to 64000. -?, --help Show help message --usage Display brief usage message SMB URLS
SMB URL's should be specified in the following format: smb://[[[domain;]user[:password@]]server[/share[/path[/file]]]] smb:// means all the workgroups smb://name/ means, if name is a workgroup, all the servers in this workgroup, or if name is a server, all the shares on this server. EXAMPLES
# Recursively download 'src' directory smbget -R smb://rhonwyn/jelmer/src # Download FreeBSD ISO and enable resuming smbget -r smb://rhonwyn/isos/FreeBSD5.1.iso # Recursively download all ISOs smbget -Rr smb://rhonwyn/isos # Backup my data on rhonwyn smbget -Rr smb://rhonwyn/ BUGS
Permission denied is returned in some cases where the cause of the error is unknown (such as an illegally formatted smb:// url or trying to get a directory without -R turned on). VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3.0 of the Samba suite. AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The smbget manpage was written by Jelmer Vernooij. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+----------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+----------------------+ |Availability | SUNWsmbar, SUNWsmbau | +--------------------+----------------------+ |Interface Stability | External | +--------------------+----------------------+ NOTES
Source for Samba is available on http://opensolaris.org. Samba(7) delivers the set of four SMF(5) services as can be seen from the following example: $ svcs samba wins winbind swat STATE STIME FMRI disabled Apr_21 svc:/network/samba:default disabled Apr_21 svc:/network/winbind:default disabled Apr_21 svc:/network/wins:default disabled Apr_21 svc:/network/swat:default where the services are: "samba" runs the smbd daemon managing the CIFS sessions "wins" runs the nmbd daemon enabling the browsing (WINS) "winbind" runs the winbindd daemon making the domain idmap "swat" Samba Web Administration Tool is a service providing access to browser-based Samba administration interface and on-line documentation. The service runs on software loopback network interface on port 901/tcp, i.e. opening "http://localhost:901/" in browser will access the SWAT service on local machine. Please note: SWAT uses HTTP Basic Authentication scheme where user name and passwords are sent over the network in clear text. In the SWAT case the user name is root. Transferring such sensitive data is advisable only on the software loopback network interface or over secure networks. Samba 3.0 01/19/2009 SMBGET(1)