Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How do I display a file's last modified date? Post 302984522 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 26th of October 2016 04:24:27 PM
Old 10-26-2016
the trick to get the last modified time in epoch:
Code:
cpio -o 2>/dev/null <<EOF | od -d |  awk '
   NR == 2 {print $2 * 65536 - $3;exit}'
   myFile
EOF

Given epoch time, you can convert it to human-readable format.

Do you have truss on AiX?
If so, you may truss this:
Code:
truss -f -v 'lstat,lstat64' ls -d myFile 2>&1 | grep 't ='

I guess in perl you can do it in one swoop.

NOTE: use 'nawk' on Solaris

Last edited by vgersh99; 10-26-2016 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: modified the file name

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I get the last modified date of a file?

I am trying to load a group of files and their last dates modified into a text file that will in turn be used with SQL*Loader to load these files into Oracle. I am using a *.ksh script. I am getting the name of the file in by using the following: for file_ext in 'cat loaddir.ext'; do find... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akpopa
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to retrieve original contents of a modified file (modified using vi)

Made changes to a file using vi editor and saved those changes now realised that the changes are not required How can I get the previous version of the file.i.e the one which was there on which I had made changes (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: novice100
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding modified File List after the chosen date in Korne Shell...

I am trying to write a Korne Shell asking the user for a date and a directory and then search recursively in this directory the list of files modified after the date chosen. But I am not getting good results when I Test it... #!/usr/bin/ksh echo "Enter a date (YYYYMMDD) " read date touch -t... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marconi
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finding the modified date time of a file

Hi, I am new bie to Unix. Might be a simple question I am asking. I want to find the last modified time of a file and find the difference between the currrent time and the last modified time. Appreciate, if someone can throw some light on what commands can be used. Cheers, James (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesJoe
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test if a file has a last modified date of within the last 24 hours

Hi there Im trying to find a way to test whether the last modified time is older than 1 day or not so #!/bin/bash if ; then $TOUCHED = "recently" else $TOUCHED = "not so recently" fi ive seen loads of posts where people are using find and the -mtime property but i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

current date modified file

Hi , In my directory , i have many days file but i want to see all those which are of todays date. i tried this but it gives all the files mtime -0 |ls -ltr I tried the below option as well. 19635 find -iname "*.LOG" -mtime 19636 ls -ltr *.LOG -mtime -1 19637 ls -ltr *.LOG... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: guddu_12
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find file by filename or with newest modified date

Hi, I have a directory that has numerous files in it, and there is two which are named "filerec_ddmmyyHH24MMSS" by the time they are created so "filerec_010615012250" was created at 01:22:50 on 1st June 2015. I need to find the most recently created of those 2 files and get the contents of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: finn
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to copy creation date over top of modified date?

Can someone draw up a script that for every file, folder and subfolder and files that will copy the creation date over top of the modified date?? I know how to touch every file recursively, but no idea how to read a files creation date then use that to touch the modification date of that file,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: toysareforboys
3 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Arrange file by modified date

Hi, Am performing a find based on filename and result can contain multiple files being found Let's say my find command is find /Archive -f -name 12345.pdf and result of find command is /Archive/Folder A/12345.pdf /Archive/Folder B/12345.pdf please note white space in folder names I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gigagigosu
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need help with listing file name and modified date on a huge directory

hi, We have a huge directory that ha 5.1 Million files in it. We are trying to get the file name and modified timestamp of the most recent 3 years from this huge directory for a migration project. However, the ls command (background process) to list the file names and timestamp is running for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subbu
2 Replies
cpio(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   cpio(1)

Name
       cpio - copy file archives in and out

Syntax
       cpio -i [ -C ] [keys] [patterns]

cpio -o [keys]

cpio -p [keys] directory

Description
       The  command  is  a filter designed to let you copy files to or from an archive.  The command differs from the command in that lets you ar-
       chive any kind of file, while is limited to program object files.

Options
       -i   Copies files that match the specified pattern.  If the pattern is not specified, copies in all files.  Extracts files from	the  stan-
	    dard  input,  which  is  assumed to be the product of a previous cpio -o, and places them into the user's current directory tree.  For
	    files with the same name, the newer file replaces the older file unless the -u option is used.

Only files with names that match patterns are selected.  The patterns are specified using the notation for names described in In  pat-
	    terns,  the  slash	for  directories (/) is included in searches using meta-characters.  For example, suppose the archive contains the
	    file and the pathname information in the archive indicates that the directory below contains the file This command copies  both  files
	    into the user's current directory:
	    cpio -i *p < /dev/rmt0l

Multiple  patterns	may be specified and if no patterns are specified, the default for patterns is * (that is, select all files).  The
	    extracted files are conditionally created and copied into the current directory tree based upon the options described below.  The com-
	    mand has three function keys, each with its own set of options.

-C   Specifies  compatability mode for reading archives created with the old style header format.  Use this option to copy in archives gen-
	    erated by pre-V4.2 This option is valid only for copy-in (-i) operations.

-o   Copies out the specified files.  Reads the standard input to obtain a list of path names and copies those files onto the standard out-
	    put together with path name and status information.

-p   Copies  files  into  the specified destination directory, which must already exist.  Reads the standard input to obtain a list of path
	    names of files that are conditionally created.  This list of files is copied into  the  destination  directory  tree  based  upon  the
	    options used.  For files with the same name, the newer file replaces the older file unless the -u option is used.

Keys
       6    Processes a file with the UNIX System Sixth Edition format.

a    Retains  original  access  times  of  input  files, and can be used with -o and -p.  Normally, the read(s) used in the copy update the
	    copied file's access time.

B    Determines input/output is to be blocked 5,120 bytes to the record.  This option is meaningful only with data directed to or from or

b    Swaps both bytes and halfwords.

c    Creates header information in ASCII format and can be used with -i and -o.

d    Creates subdirectories, as needed, below the specified destination directory.

f    Copies all files except those that match the specified pattern.

k    Enables symbolic link handling and is used with the -i, -o, and -p options.

l    Creates links wherever possible.

m    Retains modification time for each copied file.  This option does not work on directories or symbolic links that are being copied; the
	    directory is always reset to show the access time when the copy was made.

r    Interactively renames files.  If you respond with a null line, the file is skipped (not copied).  Use only with the -i option.

s    Swaps bytes while copying files in.

S    Swaps half words while copying files in.

t    Prints a table of contents of the input (no files are created).

u    Copies files unconditionally.  (Otherwise, an older file will not replace a newer file with the same name).

v    Displays  detailed	(verbose)  information as it copies and/or creates file.  When used with the t option, the table of contents looks
	    like the output of an ls -l command.  For further information, see

Examples
       This example shows how to copy the contents of the user's current directory into an archive.
       ls | cpio -o  > /dev/rmt0l
       This example shows how to duplicate a directory hierarchy.
       mkdir ~phares/newdir
       cd ~phares/olddir
       find . -print | cpio -pdl ~phares/newdir
       This example shows how to copy all files and directories with names containing the characters "chapter" in user smith's home directory  and
       underlying directories.
       find ~smith -name '*chapter*' -print | cpio -o > /dev/rmt0h
       This example shows the results of using the r option with the -i function key.
       ls | cpio -ir > ~smith/newdir
       Rename <file1>
       newnamefile1
       Rename <file2>
       <RETURN>
       Skipped
       Rename <file3>
       newnamefile3
       In  some  cases,  the  -cpio  option of the command can be used more effectively than pipes and redirects using For instance, the following
       example
       find . -print | cpio -oB > /dev/rmt0l
       can be handled more efficiently by:
       find . -cpio /dev/rmt0l
       To copy the contents of a directory (with symbolic link handling enabled) to the tape drive, type:
       ls | cpio -ok > /dev/rmt0h
       To restore the archived files back into a directory, type:
       cpio -ik < /dev/rmt0h
       The following example moves files, including symbolic links, from an old directory to a new directory:
       mkdir ~craig/newdir
       cd ~craig/olddir
       ls | cpio -pdk ~craig/newdir

Restrictions
       Pathnames are restricted to 128 characters.

When there are too many unique linked files, the program runs out of memory and cannot trace them.  In this case,  linking  information	is
       lost.

Only the superuser can copy special files.

See Also
       ar(1), find(1), cpio(5)

cpio(1)