Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to test that a string doesn't contain specific characters? Post 302984423 by disedorgue on Tuesday 25th of October 2016 06:18:24 PM
Old 10-25-2016
In your case, you must set LC_ALL=C because you want exclude characters with accent.

Regards.
This User Gave Thanks to disedorgue For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing specific characters in a string

Hi Friends, Following is an output of a script OPWQERIUTYKLSADFJHGXZNMCVBWQOPERIUTYKLSADFJHGXZNMCVB I want to replace above string's 11 to 17 character by ******* (7 stars) How can it be done? Please somebody guide me. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test on string containing spacewhile test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = quitC then break fi d

This is the code: while test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = stop then break fi done I read a command on every loop an execute it. I check if the string equals the word stop to end the loop,but it say that I gave too many arguments to test. For example echo hello. Now the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Max89
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

4. Programming

Kernel module - How to test if file doesn't exist

Hey, I'm currently getting into some kernel module progamming. As a little exercise I want to read the headers out of an ELF file. My code is very simple, here is the important part: struct file *fp; /* ... */ fp = filp_open("some/file/on/my/pc", O_RDONLY, 0); if(fp == NULL) { ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: disaster
15 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Value of variable is NULL, but test doesn't seem to recognize

Hello, Unix-forums! My problem: read -p "Enter any number, please" number sleep 1 echo $number | tr -d 0-9 test -z $number && echo "Thank you" || echo "This is not a number"Test always displays "This is not a number". It doesn't matter if I entered a or 1. But if I order echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: intelinside
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't figure out how to find specific characters in specific columns

I am trying to find a specific set of characters in a long file. I only want to find the characters in column 265 for 4 bytes. Is there a search for that? I tried cut but couldn't get it to work. Ex. I want to find '9999' in column 265 for 4 bytes. If it is in there, I want it to print... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Drenhead
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific characters at specific column positions

Hi all, I need help. I have an input text file (input.txt) like this: 21 GTGCAACACCGTCTTGAGAGG 50 21 GACCGAGACAGAATGAAAATC 73 21 CGGGTCTGTAGTAGCAAACGC 108 21 CGAAAAATGAACCCCTTTATC 220 21 CGTGATCCTGTTGAAGGGTCG 259 Now I need to count A/T/G/C numbers at each character location in column... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thienxho
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] If doesn't evaluate the first test

Good afternoon, I am tearing hair out over this. It should be so simple. I have an if statement to evaluate whether or not replication is working. I am testing variables from mysql to see if they are both "Yes". I have put some echo statements in to see how far the code proceeds. It always... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimm
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test command non case specific string comparision

Hi, I want to do caseless string comparision using test command for eg: Ind_f="y" test "$Ind_f" == "y|Y" i tried , ** , nothing worked. any thoughts on how to do case insensitive string comparison using test command without converting to any particular case using typeset or tr? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kulasekar
8 Replies
escape(1)                                                       Mail Avenger 0.8.3                                                       escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)