Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Mv all files with different extensions to a new name Post 302984370 by greet_sed on Tuesday 25th of October 2016 08:00:08 AM
Old 10-25-2016
Hi,

You did not try what i have posted in post#4. Here is the tested code.

Code:
touch foo1 foo2 foo3
ls
foo1_bar  foo2_bar  foo3_bar
foreach i ( foo* )
foreach? mv $i "$i"_bar
foreach? end

ls
foo1_bar  foo2_bar  foo3_bar

Code:
tcsh --version
tcsh 6.15.00 (Astron) options wide,nls,lf,dl,al,kan,sm,color,filec

This User Gave Thanks to greet_sed For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to select files with different extensions

I want to select files which have different extensions such as .cpp, .cs, .h I can select one of them as find . -name "*.cpp" but I want to select all of them in one command only. It should be pretty simple but I'm not able to get it. Any help with the command will be greatly appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MobileUser
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List Files by Extensions

I have a unix directory with 500 plus files . When I do a ls -lR I can see ALL the files here . How can I sort this by the files extensions ? I can't enter ls -lR *.ext1 *.ext2 *.ext3 etc in case I miss out some files . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbienix
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files with 3 different extensions

Hi all, From one directory I need to fetch only files of type *.xls,*.csv,*.txt. I tried the find . -name '*.txt,*.csv,*.xls' -print. But it throws me error. Please do help me on this. Thanks Mahalakshmi.A (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahalakshmi
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting Files according to their Extensions...

I am trying to write a Korne Shell Script wherein we have to sort files according to their extensions(for eg. 1.sh, 5.sh, 9.sh together; 4.csh, 120.csh, 6.csh together and 7.ksh, 2.ksh, 59.ksh together) and move them to their respective directories viz. sh, csh and ksh... I think,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing extensions for multiple files at once

I copied some files to another folder, and I want to change them from .doc extensions to .txt extensions. I tried using the cp and mv commands, but it didn't work. Is it possible to change file extensions with these commands, and if so how do I do it? I tried using the * wildcard (say cp *.doc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files extensions

Hello ! i have a few files like ... setup.001 setup.002 setup.003 setup.004 // to setup.095 and i would like to rename those files to ... setup.r01 setup.r02 setup.r03 setup.r04 // to setup.r95 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Putazo
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for files with specific extensions

Hi, Could someone give me a hand with a search for files with two possible extensions, please. The requirement is simple - I need to issue a single ls command searching for files with the suffix of, say, *.txt and *.log. I've tried to use ls *.txt *.log which works if there are both... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neilmw
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping through files with different extensions

Hi all, I am trying to make a for loop invoking files with different extensions (*.ugrd and *.vgrd) and I cant just make it work. Cant figure out how to load the files so as to use them in subsequent commands like the ones in this pseudo code. the files are arranged such that in one date for... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to tar files of different extensions in one command

Linux RHEL 5.4 It is easy to create a tarball when you have files same extension For eg: You want to tar all files with the extension .log . This is easy tar -cvf diagnose.tar *.log I have two files with different extensions .log and .sh : error.log myscript.sh I want to create a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files with different extensions and same name

Hi, i have two folders. Folder A has 1000+ files with just images named like : 01012015.png 01022015.png etc. Folder B has much more files, part of them with same name as png files folder others not. Instead of folder A wich are only images, these are audio wav files. I need to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Board27
11 Replies
Locale::Script(3perl)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				     Locale::Script(3perl)

NAME
Locale::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. The ones currently supported are: alpha This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA". The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. numeric This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC". ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes Locale::Constants http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2011 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2011-09-26 Locale::Script(3perl)