Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO Increase disk size on OS side on the fly Post 302984318 by goldenboy on Monday 24th of October 2016 01:32:11 PM
Old 10-24-2016
Increase disk size on OS side on the fly

Hi,

I'm Linux administrator who happens to 'administer' SCO Unix 5.0.7, which is virtual server on VMware - deployed from official ovf image.

My problem is that root filesystem is almost out of disk space, and we've decided to do it as we do on every other virtual servers and extend disk on vmware level, then extend it on OS level.

However, it seems not to be that easy as I first thought it would be. When used 'divvy' utility it doesn't seem to have any free blocks that could be allocated, so I thought that there might be something else that has to be done beforehand to let the system know that something changed in disk setup. I've also tried 'mkdev hd' and recreate kernel, but after that server was unbootable, perhaps because it erased everything that was there.

Could anyone here help me to achieve disk extension on that system?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

increase size of /tmp

My /tmp is full, and the oracle installation is crashing. How can I increase the size of /tmp, even though I have allocated all the available disk space to other partitions? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkappaz
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

increase size

Hi All, one of the mount point in Hp ux server has reached 95% its a data base file and can not be deleted. so i want to know how to increase the size of mount point i am new to unix ,please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jyoti
1 Replies

3. Solaris

how to increase the size of the allotment

Hi all, I have a 130gb HDD of which 95b is taken up by various partitions of windows xp... I partitioned my HDD and gave solaris 10gb of space, but now owing to some development stuff i need to increase the space!!! How do i do it!! Please note that i do have ~20gb of space left still...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
2 Replies

4. Solaris

increase Root size

Dear all, I am very new to solaris, I have installed solaris 10, i tried installing few softwares into file system, unfortunately system failed to install stating "No space left on device " i searched few threads and it says, we have to increase root size. where my root size is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhnki
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Increase salt size

Unix protect its password by using salt It that mean larger the salt size the more secure? if the salt size increase greatly, will the password still able to be cracked? thank you for helping (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cryogen
1 Replies

6. AIX

How to increase Virtual Disk size

Hello, I am working AIX VIO server and extended Virtual Disk of one of the Partition with 10GB. After starting partition, i am not able to see increased size of disk. Can you please help me what I need to do to increase the size of virtual disk from partition? Thanks Kishor ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kishorbhede
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Increase size to sd[b-c]

hi guys I am working on my vmware workstation. I have a /dev/sdb which is 5GB. I am using LVM. Now I increase /dev/sdb 2 more GB. fdisk -l shows 7 GB but pvscan still shows 5GB. how do I make my system recognize the new 7GB added and be able to add those to my physical volumen and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kopper
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Delete syslog but size disk can't increase

Hi Experts, I have a problem wih /var. Disk /var is full. After i investigate, i found file /var/log/syslog.0 is growing rapidly. The size is 4.3G. I tried to move syslog.0 to another disk and file was moved successfully. My question is why size /var can't increase? used space still 100%. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
7 Replies

9. AIX

Kdb - vscsi disk mapping from AIX 5.3 CLIENT side

If you're familiar with vscsi mappings thru a VIO Server, you are probably aware, on an AIX 6.1 Client LPAR, that: print cvai | kdbcan provide useful information to you.... like VIO Server name & vhost #. But, "cvai" does not appear to be part of the Kernel Debugger in AIX 5.3. My question is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Doctor
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Increase disk size of guest domain

Host System: SPARC S7-2 Server; 2x8-core CPUs; 128Gb RAM; 2x600Gb HDD. running Solaris 11.3. Last login: Tue Sep 19 14:42:42 2017 from xxx.xxx.xxx Oracle Corporation SunOS 5.11 11.3 June 2017 $ uname -a SunOS sog01 5.11 11.3 sun4v sparc sun4v $ Original physical systems: Sun... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: apmcd47
0 Replies
ZEROFREE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       ZEROFREE(8)

NAME
zerofree -- zero free blocks from ext2, ext3 and ext4 file-systems SYNOPSIS
zerofree [-n] [-v] [-f fillval] filesystem DESCRIPTION
zerofree finds the unallocated, blocks with non-zero value content in an ext2, ext3 or ext4 filesystem (e.g. /dev/hda1) and fills them with zeroes (or another octet of your choice). Filling unused areas with zeroes is useful if the device on which this file-system resides is a disk image. In this case, depending on the type of disk image, a secondary utility may be able to reduce the size of the disk image after zerofree has been run. Filling unused areas may also be useful with solid-state drives (SSDs). On some SSDs, filling blocks with ones (0xFF) is reported to trig- ger Flash block erasure by the firmware, possibly giving a write performance increase. The usual way to achieve the same result (zeroing the unallocated blocks) is to run dd (1) to create a file full of zeroes that takes up the entire free space on the drive, and then delete this file. This has many disadvantages, which zerofree alleviates: o it is slow; o it makes the disk image (temporarily) grow to its maximal extent; o it (temporarily) uses all free space on the disk, so other concurrent write actions may fail. filesystem has to be unmounted or mounted read-only for zerofree to work. It will exit with an error message if the filesystem is mounted writable. To remount the root file-system readonly, you can first switch to single user runlevel (telinit 1) then use mount -o remount,ro filesystem. zerofree has been written to be run from GNU/Linux systems installed as guest OSes inside a virtual machine. In this case, it is typically run from within the guest system, and a utility is then run from the host system to shrink disk image (VBoxManage modifyhd --compact, pro- vided with virtualbox, is able to do that for some disk image formats). It may however be useful in other situations: for instance it can be used to make it more difficult to retrieve deleted data. Beware that securely deleting sensitive data is not in general an easy task and usually requires writing several times on the deleted blocks. OPTIONS
-n Perform a dry run (do not modify the file-system); -v Be verbose; -f value Specify the octet value to fill empty blocks with (defaults to 0). Argument must be within the range 0 to 255. SEE ALSO
dd (1). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Thibaut Paumard <paumard@users.sourceforge.net> for the Debian system (but may be used by others). Permis- sion is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2. ZEROFREE(8)