Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Anybody want to talk about Dirty Cow? Post 302984216 by hicksd8 on Saturday 22nd of October 2016 11:13:08 AM
Old 10-22-2016
Anybody want to talk about Dirty Cow?

Hi All,

How worried is everyone about the Dirty Cow Linux exploit? Has anybody experienced attacks yet?

From the research I've done it seems that the exploit is "reliable" (that is it works nearly every time on vulverable systems) which is not good news.

We all believe that Unix/Linux systems are so much more secure than Windows because they're not targeted in the same way.

Q: Anybody have up to date knowledge as to which distros have now been patched and which are still at risk?

Thanks,

Dennis.

Last edited by hicksd8; 10-22-2016 at 12:18 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick-and-dirty g++ compilation

I am creating a small bash file that will take one argument and compile it: #!/bin/bash OUT=${$1%.cpp} # C++ source files always end in .cpp g++ -Wall $1 -o $OUT chmod 777 $OUT The error message says 'bad substitution', namely where OUT is defined. How to fix this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: figaro
1 Replies

2. AIX

Can't mount showing 0506-342 The superblock on /dev/fslv00 is dirty

Dear All Last day in Aix 5.2 server by executing # df –g I found following: Filesystem GB blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on . . /dev/fslv00 58.00 136.70 -135% 212103 1% /sprod After shutting down by following command # shutdown –h And when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xa52000
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finding volumes with mirrored DRL(Dirty Region Log)

hi, How do I find VxVM volumes which have a mirrored DRL. thanks in advance Prasi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasi_in
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

noob question - is awk the tool to clean dirty text files?

Hi, nevermind. I think I've found the answer. It appears I was looking for index, match, sub, and gsub. I want to write a shell script that will clean the html out of a bunch of files and format the data for import into excel. Awk seems like a powerful tool, but it seems oriented to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yogert909
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a quick and dirty solution

I have a list of multiple versions of software. The list is formated as follows: NAME VERSION I simply need to pull out the highest version of each software, for example: Original File a v1.0 a v1.1 a v1.2 b v2.1 b v2.2 b v2.21 b v3.0 Output a v1.2 b v3.0 (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Finja
13 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Superblock marked dirty

Good morning! I met a problem on a FS with AIX 5.3 It's not possible to mount the FS because of a dirty superblock. I tried few things without success. I need your help to solve my problem guys. Do you have any idea please? Thanks a lot drp01,/home/root # mount /GSPRES/data Replaying... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Castelior
9 Replies

7. Linux

Broadcom under Fedora 18 (Spherical Cow)

So I'm having a problem getting a Broadcom BCM4312 wireless controller to work under the broadcom-wl module $uname Linux 3.8.11-200.fc18.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed May 1 19:44:27 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux lspci -v 05:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Skrynesaver
2 Replies
news(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   news(1)

NAME
news - print news items SYNOPSIS
[items] DESCRIPTION
is used to keep the user informed of current events. By convention, these events are described by files in the directory When invoked without arguments, prints the contents of all current files in most recent first, with each preceded by an appropriate header. stores the ``currency'' time as the modification date of a file named in the user's home directory (the identity of this directory is determined by the environment variable only files more recent than this currency time are considered ``current.'' Options recognizes the following options: Print all items, regardless of currency. The stored time is not changed. Report the names of the current items without printing their contents, and without changing the stored time. Report how many current items exist without printing their names or contents, and without changing the stored time. It is useful to include such an invocation of news in one's file, or in the system's All other arguments are assumed to be specific news items that are to be printed. If an interrupt is typed during the printing of a news item, printing stops and the next item is started. Another interrupt within one second of the first causes the program to terminate. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. FILES
SEE ALSO
mail(1), profile(4), environ(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
news(1)