Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat The problem in the new partition Post 302984153 by hicksd8 on Friday 21st of October 2016 06:29:14 AM
Old 10-21-2016
"Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock" would tell me that there has been no filesystem created on the partition.

I'm not a RedHat expert but the generic Unix/Linux answer would be 'mkfs' but a RedHat expert will soon tell you what utility you should use.
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

root partition was full and problem start

We have SunOS 5.7 m/c. Following is the situation and problem what we are facing - - The root partition was full. - No login was possible on server (not from console also) - M/c was power swithced off - After this only console login is possible. FTP is possible. No telnet is possible. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul72
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

root partition full and problem start

We have SunOS 5.7 m/c. Following is the situation and problem what we are facing - - The root partition was full. - No login was possible on server (not from console also) - M/c was power swithced off - After this only console login is possible. FTP is possible. No telnet is possible. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahul72
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SCO 5.05 partition problem

Hardware: IBM 300PL 32MB RAM 60Gig HDD During the phase in SCO installation where I get to partition my hard disk, SCO only seems to see 8Gig out of the 60 that I have. Does anyone out there know of a utility or what I need to do to make the the whole 60Gig available. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: budrito
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem re-formatting Disk Partition

I have a disk formatted as follows. Part Flag Tag Cylinders Size =================================================== 0 wm root 0 - 38125 26.18 Gb 1 wu swap 38126 - 49776 8 Gb 2 wm backup 0 - 49779 34.18 Gb 3 wm unassigned 4 wm unassigned 5 wm unassigned 6 wm unassigned... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hard-disk partition is Full problem?

HI, Currently I am working in One of the webhosting company and I found on one of my server "/home" partition is getting full say 105% usage... But when I actually check the partition size using "du -h", exact partition utilization is only 60-70%. So... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagdish.machhi@
1 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Problem with ext3 partition

I accidentally deleted one of my ext3 partitions from Windows XP. However, since I did not make new partitions over it, or format that area, I guess my data is safe. So I made a new partition with the same cylinder boundary values using fdisk (in Linux). But I cannot access my old data on that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digjam
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Partition Permission Problem

I am using a PowerBook G4 with OS X 10.4.11. While modifying permissions using the Finder Info window on what I thought was a folder on a data partition, I inadvertently changed the permissions for the entire partition instead of the folder. Now I cannot access that partition nor any folders or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bunky6767
3 Replies

8. Linux

problem to format linux partition

hi friends one week ago, i have installed fedoa 9 on my home pc. i already have windows xp on that machine. unfortunately my windows xp has corrupted. again i want to install windows xp but it is not installing. will i format my linux partition or some other option is there. please help me... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: praneshmishra08
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Problem with Solaris Partition, I cant see it

Hi All, First post, I work as database developer (Oracle) My task is to setup a solaris system on a VMware installation which sits on a x86 server. I have installed the Os, applied patches (I think) and on VMWARE I added new hardware (Disk) which is where my database will be. The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: platforminc
5 Replies

10. AIX

Partition offset problem after re-mirror vg

We had a mirrored disk failed (not the rootvg), there are 3 lvs (transfer, applogs, arch) from extvg gone open/stale state. After replaced failed disk and run cfgmgr, the new replaced disk is visible: ) I did the following to re-mirror new disk: # extendvg prodvg hdisk3 # lspv (got new pvid on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalite19
2 Replies
PARTX(8)						       System Administration							  PARTX(8)

NAME
partx - tell the Linux kernel about the presence and numbering of on-disk partitions SYNOPSIS
partx [-a|-d|-s] [-t TYPE] [-n M:N] [-] disk partx [-a|-d|-s] [-t TYPE] partition [disk] DESCRIPTION
Given a device or disk-image, partx tries to parse the partition table and list its contents. It optionally adds or removes partitions. The disk argument is optional when a partition argument is provided. To force scanning a partition as if it were a whole disk (for example to list nested subpartitions), use the argument "-". For example: partx --show - /dev/sda3 This will see sda3 as a whole-disk rather than a partition. This is not an fdisk program -- adding and removing partitions does not change the disk, it just tells the kernel about the presence and numbering of on-disk partitions. OPTIONS
-a, --add Add the specified partitions, or read the disk and add all partitions. -b, --bytes Print the SIZE column in bytes rather than in human-readable format. -d, --delete Delete the specified partitions or all partitions. -g, --noheadings Do not print a header line. -l, --list List the partitions. Note that all numbers are in 512-byte sectors. This output format is DEPRECATED in favour of --show. Don't use it in newly written scripts. -o, --output list Define the output columns to use for --show and --raw output. If no output arrangement is specified, then a default set is used. Use --help to get list of all supported columns. -r, --raw Use the raw output format. -s, --show List the partitions. All numbers (except SIZE) are in 512-byte sectors. The output columns can be rearranged with the --output option. -t, --type type Specify the partition table type -- aix, bsd, dos, gpt, mac, minix, sgi, solaris_x86, sun, ultrix or unixware. -n, --nr M:N Specify the range of partitions. For backward compatibility also the format <M-N> is supported. The range may contain negative numbers, for example "--nr :-1" means the last partition, and "--nr -2:-1" means the last two partitions. Supported range specifi- cations are: <M> Specifies just one partition (e.g. --nr 3). <M:> Specifies lower limit only (e.g. --nr 2:). <:N> Specifies upper limit only (e.g. --nr :4). <M:N> or <M-N> Specifies lower and upper limits (e.g. --nr 2:4). EXAMPLES
partx --show /dev/sdb3 partx --show --nr 3 /dev/sdb partx --show /dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb All three commands list partition 3 of /dev/sdb. partx --show - /dev/sdb3 Lists all subpartitions on /dev/sdb3 (the device is used as whole-disk). partx -o START -g --nr 3 /dev/sdb Prints the start sector of partition 5 on /dev/sda without header. partx -o SECTORS,SIZE /dev/sda5 /dev/sda Lists the length in sectors and human-readable size of partition 5 on /dev/sda. partx --add --nr 3:5 /dev/sdd Adds all available partitions from 3 to 5 (inclusive) on /dev/sdd. partx -d --nr :-1 /dev/sdd Removes the last partition on /dev/sdd. SEE ALSO
addpart(8), delpart(8), fdisk(8), parted(8), partprobe(8) AUTHORS
Davidlohr Bueso <dave@gnu.org> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> The original version was written by Andries E. Brouwer <aeb@cwi.nl>. AVAILABILITY
The partx command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux February 2011 PARTX(8)