Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Exclude directories in FIND command Post 302984059 by RudiC on Thursday 20th of October 2016 09:17:04 AM
Old 10-20-2016
This is immediately from man find:
Quote:
find . -name .snapshot -prune -o \( \! -name *~ -print0 \)
Do you feel able to adapt it to your problem?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command to exclude directories

Howdy I have this directory structure ... eep eepaptest eepfatest eepgltest eep.old eeppoptest ehf ehfaptest ehfgltest ehp ehpgltest I want to find files in these directories, but I want to exclude eep, ehf & ehp. Cany anyone help with the correct command ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmurfGGM
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find but exclude directories

Hello, I have a line in my script to find the files changed in the last 24 hours. It is as below: find /home/hary -type f -mtime -1 I now want to exclude a directory named "/home/hary/temp/cache" from the above find command. How do I add it to my script? Any help is appreciated. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tadi18
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Exclude multiple directories from find command?

Hi, Can some one help me how to exclude multiple directories using find command.. I have the directory structure below. /a/a1/b1 /a/c1/c2 /a/d1/d2/d3 I want to exlcude a1,c2and d3 from the above using find,can some one suggest pls.. thanks in advance... Use code tags... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagadish_gaddam
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - Find command to exclude sub-directories

Hi Forum. I'm trying to write a script that finds and deletes files that are older than 300 days. The script will read a table that contains the following 3 columns: 1st col: “Y” means sub-directory scan; "N" means no subdirectory scan 2nd col: sub-directory location 3rd col: File prefix... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl exclude directories in command line

Hi, I use find command to list all the files in a directory and its sub-directories, but the problem is to exclude certain directories during search. Can i give the directory names in command line to skip them and search rest of the directories? For example i have directories: test ../test1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmattam
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command to exclude directories and setup alias or script?

Hi, Firstly - sorry for the duplicate my other post looked like i was posting a how to for people. But i am wanting some help :P I want to search from / to find files and exclude my mounted ntfs drives. I have found this thread (Which I can't post the URL to until i have 5 posts) it's... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mightymouse2045
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep command to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories.

Hi all, Using grep command, i want to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories. e.g: if i want to search for a pattern named "parmeter", i used the command grep -i "param" ../* is this correct? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinothrajan55
1 Replies

8. AIX

Exclude Directories in my tar command

Hi, im having some issues after i execute the next command: tar -cvf /varios/restore/test.tar -X /jfma/test1/excludefile /jfma | gzip -c > /varios/restore/test.tar.gz this creates the desired "test.tar.gz" file, but whe i try to open it it says "tar: 0511-164 There is a media read or write... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: blacksteel1988
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Tar Ball command to exclude directories

Hi, uname -a SunOS mymac 5.11 11.2 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise I need to tar a folder /tmp/moht but do not want these three folders to be included in the tar file -> savejpg, bmpsave and imgsave I tried --exclude, -path, -not options but it says bad option Can you help me with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies
prune(1)						      General Commands Manual							  prune(1)

NAME
prune - Prune directed graphs SYNOPSIS
prune [ -n node ] [ -N attrspec ] [ -v ] [ -(h|?) ] [ files ... ] DESCRIPTION
prune reads directed graphs in the same format used by dot(1) and removes subgraphs rooted at nodes specified on the command line via options. These nodes themselves will not be removed, but can be given attributes so that they can be easily located by a graph stream edi- tor such as gvpr(1). prune correctly handles cycles, loops and multi-edges. Both options can appear multiple times on the command line. All subgraphs rooted at the respective nodes given will then be processed. If a node does not exist, prune will skip it and print a warning message to stderr. If multiple attributes are given, they will be applied to all nodes that have been processed. prune writes the result to the stdout. OPTIONS
-n name Specifies name of node to prune. -N attrspec Specifies attribute that will be set (or changed if it exists) for any pruned node. attrspec is a string of the form attr=value. -v Verbose output. -h -? Prints the usage and exits. EXAMPLES
An input graph test.gv of the form digraph DG { A -> B; A -> C; B -> D; B -> E; } , processed by the command prune -n B test.gv would produce the following output (the actual code might be formatted in a slightly different way). digraph DG { A -> B; A -> C; } Another input graph test.gv of the form digraph DG { A -> B; A -> C; B -> D; B -> E; C -> E; } (note the additional edge from C to E ), processed by the command prune -n B -N color=red test.gv results in digraph DG { B [color=red]; A -> B; A -> C; C -> E; } Node E has not been removed since its second parent C is not being pruned. EXIT STATUS
prune returns 0 on successful completion. It returns 1 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
dot(1), gvpr(1) AUTHOR
Marcus Harnisch <marcus.harnisch@gmx.net> prune(1)