Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Help me to understand strange 'typedef ... ' in some source... Post 302983612 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 13th of October 2016 09:51:09 PM
Old 10-13-2016
That is a typedef of a function. In this case the need was for portability -windows compiler versus maybe a linux C compiler.
No dataype declaration for the function. So, by default, the function will compile probably with a warning as a function that returns an integer.

So you do not worry about the platform, you will notice void * arguments. This lets you call COMPARE_ADDR with any datatypes as long as those datatypes are by reference (address of the object). It does not have a datatype for the function return. This kind of function typedef is usually done for situations where you want to call something to get a standard result, but windows and linux (example platform) do not have the same name for the function, but it may return { <0, 0, >0} for less than, equal to, or greater than.

Pretend example
Code:
#ifdef WIN32 
   COMPARE_ADDR=isequal;
#else
   COMPARE_ADDR=addr_foo;
#endif
/* see if the memory location of two variables is the same */
if  ( ! COMPARE_ADDR( &variable3, &variable1) {  /* if equal barf */
    errno=EINVAL;  /* invalid value error code */
    perror("Cannot continue, variables are identical and must not be identical\n");
    exit(1);   /* end program here */
}

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 10-13-2016 at 11:00 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Conflicting 'typedef' error - Which gcc switch to use?

I am using gcc3.3.5 on solaris2.7. Its a 64 bit compilation I am compiling a file 'plugin.cpp'. It includes mach.h and the complation gives the following error. ----------------------------------------------------------------- mach.h error: conflicting types for `typedef vx_u32_t... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitc
0 Replies

2. Programming

How to typedef

I want to declare char ch as ch_9 with the help of the typedef statement. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishna_sicsr
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash shell: 'exec', 'eval', 'source' - looking for help to understand

Hi, experts. Whould anybody clear explay me difference and usage of these 3 commands (particulary in bash) : exec eval source I've tryed to read the manual pages but did not get much. Also could not get something useful from Google search - just so much and so not exactly, that is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
3 Replies

4. Programming

typedef struct forward declaration

I've google a bit about this and couldn't find an answer. Actually I read that it can't be done. Basically I've defined the following structure and typedef it as follows. stuct Name { }; typdef struct Name Name. and right after it, defined some API that use it. void blabla(Name*... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: emitrax
6 Replies

5. Programming

Need help with this c++ source code! DOnt understand what some stuff mean.

Okay so I am just starting programming c++. I just started started to red "C++ for Dummies yesterday and theres a lot of things I do not understand from this book and this source code especially. I will first post the full source code and then post questions about certain thing, usually what they... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orszhak
2 Replies

6. Programming

typedef help

Hi! This is part of my my code : typedef struct{ int x; char na; char sur; } Stu; typedef struct{ Stu *arr; int size; int sort; } Stus; I want to ask how can i free() the matrix arr. I tried free(arr), free(Stus.arr) and i get errors with gcc. My problem, in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giampoul
3 Replies

7. Programming

Compilation problem with typedef

I am getting confused compiling a program that gives me the following error ../../../tomso/algeb/vector.hpp:19:9: error: ‘Vector' does not name a type typedef Vector<float> Vecflt; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

8. Programming

Event driven programming / epoll / typedef union / session data array

Sorry for the “word salad” subject, but I wanted to cast a wide net for help. I've created an IP (Internet Protocol) server which serves HTTP, SMTP, and FTP requests. As you probably know, they all require creating a socket, listening on it, accepting connections, and then having a short... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: John S.
3 Replies

9. Programming

Typedef does not work to name a type

Hello, This is related to the closed post in the forum for the installation of the same software called arachne, but with different error message: In file included from ueberal/MiniSuperizer.cc:5:0: ./random/GnuRandom.h:54:5: error: ‘_G_uint32_t’ does not name a type _G_uint32_t u; ^... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
11 Replies
SSL_CTX_new(3)							      OpenSSL							    SSL_CTX_new(3)

NAME
SSL_CTX_new - create a new SSL_CTX object as framework for TLS/SSL enabled functions SYNOPSIS
#include <openssl/ssl.h> SSL_CTX *SSL_CTX_new(SSL_METHOD *method); DESCRIPTION
SSL_CTX_new() creates a new SSL_CTX object as framework to establish TLS/SSL enabled connections. NOTES
The SSL_CTX object uses method as connection method. The methods exist in a generic type (for client and server use), a server only type, and a client only type. method can be of the following types: SSLv2_method(void), SSLv2_server_method(void), SSLv2_client_method(void) A TLS/SSL connection established with these methods will only understand the SSLv2 protocol. A client will send out SSLv2 client hello messages and will also indicate that it only understand SSLv2. A server will only understand SSLv2 client hello messages. SSLv3_method(void), SSLv3_server_method(void), SSLv3_client_method(void) A TLS/SSL connection established with these methods will only understand the SSLv3 protocol. A client will send out SSLv3 client hello messages and will indicate that it only understands SSLv3. A server will only understand SSLv3 client hello messages. This especially means, that it will not understand SSLv2 client hello messages which are widely used for compatibility reasons, see SSLv23_*_method(). TLSv1_method(void), TLSv1_server_method(void), TLSv1_client_method(void) A TLS/SSL connection established with these methods will only understand the TLSv1 protocol. A client will send out TLSv1 client hello messages and will indicate that it only understands TLSv1. A server will only understand TLSv1 client hello messages. This especially means, that it will not understand SSLv2 client hello messages which are widely used for compatibility reasons, see SSLv23_*_method(). It will also not understand SSLv3 client hello messages. SSLv23_method(void), SSLv23_server_method(void), SSLv23_client_method(void) A TLS/SSL connection established with these methods will understand the SSLv2, SSLv3, and TLSv1 protocol. A client will send out SSLv2 client hello messages and will indicate that it also understands SSLv3 and TLSv1. A server will understand SSLv2, SSLv3, and TLSv1 client hello messages. This is the best choice when compatibility is a concern. The list of protocols available can later be limited using the SSL_OP_NO_SSLv2, SSL_OP_NO_SSLv3, SSL_OP_NO_TLSv1 options of the SSL_CTX_set_options() or SSL_set_options() functions. Using these options it is possible to choose e.g. SSLv23_server_method() and be able to negotiate with all possible clients, but to only allow newer protocols like SSLv3 or TLSv1. SSL_CTX_new() initializes the list of ciphers, the session cache setting, the callbacks, the keys and certificates, and the options to its default values. RETURN VALUES
The following return values can occur: NULL The creation of a new SSL_CTX object failed. Check the error stack to find out the reason. Pointer to an SSL_CTX object The return value points to an allocated SSL_CTX object. SEE ALSO
SSL_CTX_free(3), SSL_accept(3), ssl(3), SSL_set_connect_state(3) 0.9.7a 2001-07-25 SSL_CTX_new(3)